International Mortgage Lender Malta

Hi all,

I am a British expat and been living here in Malta for 2 years. Keen to get on the property ladder but not looking overly hopeful with the prices and what I would be offered.

So looking elsewhere. Potentially Hungary. However I do not seem to be able to find anyone who would help me with a mortgage for buying a property abroad. I will be speaking with HSBC at the weekend but not looking hopeful. Can anyone else make any suggestions?

HSBC gave me 2.2% for 2 years, 3.something after, 20% deposit.   doesnt seem too bad

Yeah that is not bad actually. However I seem to be a little priced out of the market. Not much going for around 120k :/ Which is all I think i will be entitled too being a first time buyer at the age of 34 :/ I have left it late I know.

So, looking to purchase outside of Malta. My partner is from Hungary and the property market over there is in an amazing place. But not really sure where to start or even if it is possible to find a lender to help with with a mortgage for a property outside of Malta

Have you spoken to banks in Hungary? But you have the hurdle of exchanging money.
You are right the property prices in Hungary are amazing prices, but then again the cost of living is very much lower than the rest of the EU.
Austria, France, Italy have very attractive properties at good prices as well. With good returns, if you let them out as holiday lets or renting it out.
There are firms that do the leg work for you.

Yes this is precisiely the plan :) There are a few stunning little areas in Hungary which are amazing holiday destinations away from the capitol.

To be honest no, I have no contact any lenders in Hungary. Was trying to see if I can keep it local in the first attempt as I can communicate face to face which would be a little easier and more security for me.

But finding a lender does not seem great so may have to look into your suggestion and speak with lenders in Hungary.

danbatch wrote:

Yeah that is not bad actually. However I seem to be a little priced out of the market. Not much going for around 120k :/ Which is all I think i will be entitled too being a first time buyer at the age of 34 :/ I have left it late I know.

late? I am a first timer at 43

Ah you really :) I imagine in which case that you will have a higher deposit or income that what I can provide haha

You can ask for advice on the Hungary Forum about banks. There is also this site for buying homes in Hungary for investments HERE. This is just one site, there are many more.

This is amazing and very helpful. Thanks very much.