Rm13000 in Penang is it worth to move?

Hello All,

Im Ashwin from Banglore, India. I have 8 years of experience in IT industry. My current salary in India is INR 18.5 Lakh (RM 117000)per annum. I Have got an offer from a company in Penang Island for RM 13000.Work location is Bayan lepas, It is Permanent position and has 13 month salary too,no other allowances. My wife and 2 year old kid will be accompanying me.My kid will be going to kindergarten may be after an Year.   I have few questions.

1)considering my salary in India, Is it Worth to move for this salary?
2)How much Will I be able to save after 7th Month(After tax resident) Monthly if
I live in 1Bhk and near by office   ?
3)Moving to Malaysia, will add any importance in my Career profile?
4)Is it easy to get opportunity in Singapore if Im in Malaysia?
5)My wife is also having IT experience, Is it possible to get her a Job, what will be chance of making it?

Please share your valuable suggestions. Based on that Im planning to take decision.

Best Regards,
Ash

I am sure you can manage because you simply adjust your lifestyle to suit your salary income and your offered income is enough to get by. The increase in salary over what you currently earn in India is not so much. And Malaysia is much more expensive than India I am sure.

Consider the move as experience and the chance to live overseas. The wives of many Indian expats that come to live and work in Malaysia don't find it easy to find a job even when they seem very well qualified.

I do not know for Penang but in KL kindergarten usually starts at 2 years old and can cost more than Rm700 per month (I paid a lot more), that is more a daycare with some learning than a proper kindergarten. When your child turns six, they will begin primary education and not sure you could afford to put your child in an international school, it would be tight.

Well it would not be a career move in the sense of gaining good financial advantages. COL is higher in Malaysia - about 20-25% (although I have seen comments by Indians that they can live for the same amount - so it depends on choices).

Housing can be rather expensive these days so you should allow RM1500 minimum monthly for that. There are no permanent jobs when on an Employment Pass but you will get Category I with that salary. The issue is moving costs a lot in terms of new stuff needed to set up home again.

COL
https://www.expatistan.com/cost-of-livi … bangalore?https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/c … ty2=Penang

(Note the difference is probably because Numbeo is looking more at the western lifestyle)

Your tax per annum will be roughly RM25,300 or RM2100 per month but as long as you keep to the residency rules, you will get a refund of the difference between the resident and non-resident rates eventually i.e. April 2019.

You talk about a 13 month salary and I think the taxation on that system is higher for the extra month because it is considered a bonus. I believe you will pay 24% tax on your bonus month less RM2k tax allowance, i.e. 11,000 x 24%.

https://www.pwc.com/my/en/assets/public … ooklet.pdf

Change of scenary and life experience would be the advantage, Penang is great. Education will start at about  RM1500-2000 for tuition fees but there are lots of extras involved too. To check out kindy prices this may be helpful - http://dmonte.com.my/ourcenter/

If you were going to work in KL, I would say your wife may find work as long as she is also a software engineer, but Penang does not have the same number of job opportunities. She would have to compete for a work permit in the same way as you are doing - because spouses do not have the right to work while on a dependent pass.

If you love swimming and the outdoors life then Penang will suit you well. If you are more of an urbanite then you will find Penang very quiet - it is a bit of a sleepy place and the pace of life is bearable. Penang has a distinctly Chinese flavour about it but there are lots of Indians and Malays as well as a few others.

Don't think working in Penang will add anything to getting a job in Singapore except you will meet quite a few Singaporeans here as a large number of Penangites made the move. I've lived in both Singapore and KL/Penang (plus 5 other countries) and would say quality of life is better in Penang. Materially Sing is still streets ahead although Malaysia is catching up faster these days - but it's way too expensive, impersonal and competitive a destination (i.e. stressful).

Thank you Abdul and Gravitas..

Moving to Malaysia, will add any importance in my IT Career profile? Because if i move it will purely for exposure, does that add value.. Kindly share your views..

Others please comment. I think it will depend on the employer. Many companies don't inspire growth in an employee's skills so don't develop their staff. People move to get more exposure and raise in salary. The cv is closely matched to skills required and that is all.

I would suggest you should definitely go ahead with this opportunity.
This is a good salary to stay here but make sure u choose yore accommodation wisely.
while choosing the accommodation spend more time. look all the possible options and can get a good house in 1200RM to 1300 RM

Thank you Gravitas & Sneha..  :)

1) I have enquired about pf to HR and they replied 11% Employee and 12% Employer, however this is not mentioned in offer letter, Do I need to ask to have in offer letter too or it is ok with the mail?
2) pf can we monitor the fund status online?

3)will there be any interest, if so wat be %?

4)I read through other post and came to pf can be withdrawn only wen EP is canceled, Is that procedure to claim pf is simple enough?
( because at that time i would have left Malaysia)

Usually companies in Malaysia don't enrol their foreigners in the EPF nor do they deduct the 11% or pay  the 12%. The EPF Act 1991 allows this.

But you can opt to pay into the EPF yourself.  The rate of growth is around 6% p.a.

http://www.kwsp.gov.my/portal/en/web/kw … contribute

So you should ask for the terms of their contribution to be noted in your offer letter, because it can be just a nominal RM5.

Withdrawals only made when leaving the country.

http://www.kwsp.gov.my/portal/en/home