Current ATM information wanted for Sosua.

I searched the forum and while I found some ATM info, most of it was over 3 years old and I am looking for some current information please. I have a few questions...

1.) What are the Best ATMs to use assuming you don't have a Card that offers free ATM Withdrawals.
2.) What are the Fees of these ATMs?
3.) How much are you limited to withdraw in one transaction?

Also, are Credit Cards accepted pretty much everywhere in Sosua?

Thanks!

Credit cards are accepted in Sosua. Since moving to Sosua in 2002, I have used ATM's less than a dozen times & those were in the first couple of years. I used my banks machine, Santa Cruz Bank, n/c.  I budgit my funds so as to just go into the bank if unexpected expenses pop up & cash is required. Others here will be glad to answer your inquiries.  Welcome to the site & to Sosua.

Most ATM's charge about 175 to 200 pesos per withdrawal. In Las Terrenas I found the most expensive one  so far is Scotia Bank, but they are all different. Your withdrawal limit is as per your bank or credit card. Hope this helps.

What is it that we see people say about Scotiabank for Canadians, and Schwab bank for Americans?   Anybody remember?  We see it about every week.

thecolonel wrote:

What is it that we see people say about Scotiabank for Canadians, and Schwab bank for Americans?   Anybody remember?  We see it about every week.

1.) What are the Best ATMs to use assuming you don't have a Card that offers free ATM Withdrawals.

Sorry I can't help on the ATMs as I don't use them but my understanding is that most in the area limit you to 10,000 pesos at a  time (Just over $200US).
As to credit cards the larger grocery stores and some of the bigger restaurants and shops will accept them but many do not.  AND NEVER let your card out of your sight and NEVER let them  use the old fashioned way of manually swiping your card.
Bob K

Okay if you are Canadian and have a ScotiaBank account, use your card at Dominican ScotiaBank machines without fee.

You are limited to two things:
1. The limit on YOUR CARD
2. The limit on the machine you use.

For example I can take  2 withdrawals daily of 10,000 RD each fee free from my local Scotiabank account. HOwever I can only take 2,000RD at a time with a 195 RD fee from a Banco Popular account. I can however do that multiple times,  Heck no.

Sorry NO idea on Schwabs banks.

If concerned about fees, then they should get cards that don't charge.    And what they say, about once a week, is ...Scotiabank for Canadians, Schwab bank for Americans.

true colonel!!!

Hi Planner,
We live in the DR in Sosua for 6 months and are very interested in this topic as we want to stop paying so much in withdrawls. So you are saying if we have a Canadian Scotia bank account we can use the ATM in the Cabarette Scotia bank and not pay the 200 pesos fee??

cheers Kelly

I have not been in Canada or had a Canadian account for 15 years so I cannot confirm.  Anyone else confirm this for us.