Advice or share experiences with a family wanting to move to Italy

Hi,
We are a family of 4. Me my wife and two young boys. We are currently living in the US but would like to move to Italy. Main reason for the move would be to live a simpler life in the beautiful countryside. Eventually (or not, homeschooling too).

We also have EU citizenship so that's not a hurdle.

That said, other than visiting as tourists several times, we don't know much about living in Italy as an expat family with children. We are also unsure as to where. Our goal is have a farm/b&b with the possibility of horse riding trails and not too long of a winter season.

We would love to get in touch with people/family who can share their experience or give some good advice.

Thank you.
David

HI David,
I would definitely consider Umbria:   Next to Tuscany, 1 hour by road to the Adriatic sea if you are near Foligno, 1,5 hour by train to Rome.
Beautiful countryside, much cheaper to buy land or a house than in Tuscany and also cost of living much lower than Tuscany, and much friendlier people!
For a B & B (or agriturismo as it is called here) I would look at the area near Assisi/ Spello, as there is a steady flow of tourists, most of those are fully booked weeks in advance.
My son just bought a beautiful view site of 10 hectare with olive and peach groves and a house that he'll restore here for €220 000,00.
If you are in Italy contact us, you are welcome to come and visit and we'll introduce you to some reliable estate agents.
Regards
Nico.

Hi David & family,
Umbria is the place to be as it is central to explore all of Italy by car or train and it is known as the 'Green Heart of Italy' for good reason. Yes we are biased as we moved to this rural paradise 14 years ago to run a B&B , which is NOT an agriturismo which is far more compex and requires at least 10 ha of PRODUCTIVE land and accountants, legislation, law requirements etc. a B&B is simply here 1 person  3 bedrooms to care for, so 2 people = 6 bedrooms to rent and all you need do is tell the Comune of your intent and the tourist board. Much simpler, having been there and done that we know and are happy to share our knowledge with you.
We now want to retire (...want to buy a 8 bed 7 en-suite house with pool and private gardens?) and its not all been work as we have explored from Venice to Naples, Rimmini to Elba enjoyed the local community of Citta della Pieve who welcomed us and many more incomers to their hearts and kind help with cheerfulness. The sagra's, palio, 'rock for life', theatre and other events many are free and non-expencive are inclusive to everyone and enjoyed by all who attend.
Please reconsider 'home education' of your children let them become part of the community and they will bring you both in to the embrace of the locals who see the children as the future and encourage integration.
Italy is very diverse and if you are looking rural central Umbria is the answer the further south is hotter, drier and there are not so many who welcome incomers perhaps, the North is more industrial and mountainous and again not so welcoming in the towns are they are not countryfied or so we found.
Good luck with your search,
Marguerite