Close

Please update us on any security situations in the Chapla/Ajijic areas

My wife and I are considering vacationing in the Lake Chapla and Ajijic area later this year with a focus on selling/renting our home and moving there.

Of course we are concerned about security and have read of the past  incidents of a rare murder and occasional home invasions there and other places nearby (which of course can happen anywhere).

This Foxnews.com report came out today and we were wondering if anything had actually happened in the area or if this is just a precaution from the American government (there may be some new drug trafficker activity)? Has this affected the expats already living there? 

Also has there been any recent problems at or near the Don Miguel Hidalgo y Costilla International Airport? That airport would be our lifeline back to our kids/family, check on our property in the US etc. when we needed a quick trip home should we move there.

Here are excerpts from the report:

FoxNews.com today is reporting the United States Government  raised 11 Mexican states to a level 3 (out of 4) warning Wednesday, which urges people to "reconsider travel" there.

Those states where Americans are urged to reconsider travel include the State of Mexico - Mexico's most populous state, which includes most suburbs of Mexico City - and Jalisco, home to the city of Guadalajara, the Puerto Vallarta resorts and the lakeside expat community of Chapala and Ajijic. But the travel advisory said there are "no restrictions on U.S. government employees for stays in ... Guadalajara, Puerto Vallarta, Chapala, and Ajijic."

Thank you for any and all info as we are really new at all of this but also want to to be fully informed of what we are getting ourselves into.
BobMc

Like I said on another forum, safety is important to all so the following link compares Puerto Vallarta to Ajijic.

https://www.numbeo.com/crime/compare_ci … Comparison

Thus being said, a 0 risk factor doesn't exist. My wife and I both speak good spanish, live in a Mexican town and talk we the local neighbours which helps but like anywhere in the world, we don't flash valuables. Our apartment is owned by a Mexican and rent it, we don't own a vehicle, use the local transportation like the majority does.

Adios y buen dia a todos, GyC.

As Mexicogc said. All is well here. I have heard of no problems. Just use normal common sense. I still feel a lot safer here than up north. Come down and talk to the people living here and then decide. Everyone is happy to share their experiences.

I have also read a recent report that is concerning.

Living modestly and not flashing valuables sounds like the thing to do. However, you may still be in the wrong place at the wrong time. (Just like anywhere in the world)

Thanks,
Mark

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/the-u … spartandhp

Mark

I read on the news this am that the western part of mx had the most murders in the country so be careful. dont go out at night and stay away from central parts of the cities. act and dress like mexicans; blend in so u cant be picked out as GRIINGO

grapenut :

I read on the news this am that the western part of mx had the most murders in the country so be careful. dont go out at night and stay away from central parts of the cities. act and dress like mexicans; blend in so u cant be picked out as GRIINGO

Actually, Baja California Sur is #1 for murders per capita in all of Mexico as of 2017 stats.  This is an interesting link to a January 22, 2018 article.  http://bajainsider.com/article/drug-war … fornia-sur

However, I guess that does qualify as "western" Mexico.  You can't get much further west.