Finding a job in Nabeul

Hello,

I am  currently a 23 year old sociology student in Brussels, Belgium. I am planning to move to Kélibia, Nabeul in September 2018. I am doing so to be with my family, friends and boyfriend (I myself am not Tunisian). I have been searching and asking others quite a lot about job opportunities and it seemed like a good idea to ask here as well. I want to know how easy it will be to find a job in the Nabeul region or whether there are possible difficulties. I dream of a job as a private English tutor for children, any kind of job in the tourism sector or social activism. But honestly I am open to anything. I really just do not want to work outside of Nabeul, to stay close to family and my boyfriend (future husband, haha).
I am currently studying for my bachelors degree in sociology. I am not planning to do a masters degree.
By the time I'll move to Tunisia I will hold a French language certificate (DELF B2) and will have an English language certificate (TOEFL). I am also fluent in Dutch.
Does anyone on this forum have any idea of my future possibilities for finding a job in Nabeul?

Thanks in advance,

Marthe

Hi Marthe - the possibility of you having a job is almost zero, however, if you can private tutor then you have the chance.  Unemployment here is very, very high, the economy is slowing and prices are going up so the competition is very difficult and all jobs go to citizens which is correct.

Hi,

why would it be almost impossible? I think i have a good chance to get a job if I show how motivated I am. I am also counting on the connections I already have through my friends and family. Do you think that even a job in for example a telecenter would be impossible for me to get?

I live in Sfax so I can only speak to my own city but I currently have three jobs and have had to turn down two because I don't have enough time. Private schools and language centres are always looking for a native speaker. Private studies are also possible but be aware it isn't actually legal to work for yourself in this context  (so I've been told).
As for the law saying a job should go to a citizen before a foreigner; it seems whenbit comes to a language teacher this law has a work around.
Be aware that I find working for schools very stressful and they always put the parents wants before what's actually right for the child. As I say my city is different than most cities in Tunisia.
With the rise of foreign schools, like French and American,  I don't think you'll have a hard time finding a job. You may even be able to set something up before you come.

Chances are very slim, but more importantly the salaries are so low it's disheartening.

God honest truth !
Good luck
And God bless !

Thank you, I am definitely going to try to find some connections to private schools or institutions before actually moving. What did you study if I may ask?
I already know the work in schools can be very stressful, I have friends who work for these centres de formation and they're always complaining about how they do not get any freedom to teach how and what they would like. I think it's a big bonus that I've already been visiting Kelibia since I'm a baby and know the society quite well. Thanks for your honest response and advice !

ANGULARMOMENTUM wrote:

I live in Sfax so I can only speak to my own city but I currently have three jobs and have had to turn down two because I don't have enough time. Private schools and language centres are always looking for a native speaker. Private studies are also possible but be aware it isn't actually legal to work for yourself in this context  (so I've been told).
As for the law saying a job should go to a citizen before a foreigner; it seems whenbit comes to a language teacher this law has a work around.
Be aware that I find working for schools very stressful and they always put the parents wants before what's actually right for the child. As I say my city is different than most cities in Tunisia.
With the rise of foreign schools, like French and American,  I don't think you'll have a hard time finding a job. You may even be able to set something up before you come.

Thank you, I am definitely going to try to find some connections to private schools or institutions before actually moving. What did you study if I may ask?
I already know the work in schools can be very stressful, I have friends who work for these centres de formation and they're always complaining about how they do not get any freedom to teach how and what they would like. I think it's a big bonus that I've already been visiting Kelibia since I'm a baby and know the society quite well. Thanks for your honest response and advice !

Ozitoun wrote:

Chances are very slim, but more importantly the salaries are so low it's disheartening.

God honest truth !
Good luck
And God bless !

I know, especially since the first of January this year I'm kind of worried about the future of myself and of course the whole country. I am going to be sustained economically by my father as well so low salaries in the first months of living there will not be a very big problem. I do hope to find something suitable for me through the connections I already have in Tunisia, as I've been visiting Kelibia since childhood and know people who know people etc (and that's often the way to find something in Tunisia...). My plan B is working in a telecenter, which, as I have understood, are always looking for new recruits and which pay a decent salary. Thanks for your advice. May God bless you too.

I got my degree in Communications. I don't have any teaching degree or anything. I work at a language school that pays 12 dinars an hour. I have a job taking calls through a consulting firm for people to practice their English it pays 30 dinars an hour. My third job is as a on call advisor of a cafe who wants to be more like Starbucks (I managed one in the states). I teach them how to make drinks differently and how to make Americans sweets. It pays 15 dinars an hour.
Someone mentioned above that the pay is awful,  this is true for Tunisians. I however have found my pay to be miles higher than I expected.
*knock on wood*

ANGULARMOMENTUM wrote:

I got my degree in Communications. I don't have any teaching degree or anything. I work at a language school that pays 12 dinars an hour. I have a job taking calls through a consulting firm for people to practice their English it pays 30 dinars an hour. My third job is as a on call advisor of a cafe who wants to be more like Starbucks (I managed one in the states). I teach them how to make drinks differently and how to make Americans sweets. It pays 15 dinars an hour.
Someone mentioned above that the pay is awful,  this is true for Tunisians. I however have found my pay to be miles higher than I expected.
*knock on wood*

Could you tell me more of how exactly you found the first two jobs?

Dolly point is very important and true
And getting ur immigration status squared away is slow, obnoxious , and horrendous ... So u need a carte de Sejour , and or a carte de travail don't bank that ur connection can expedite the snales rythms of the Tunisian administration...

This is not to discourage you..of course not
But reality ...So be mentally prepared that's not gonna be smooth sailing...

Been there....Done that...

My husband found me the job at the school. He just walked in and asked.
I've worked at two private schools here in the past and I got those jobs in the same way, I walked into the school and asked if they wanted me to teach the kids.
The second one I got from a friend of a friend.
Like I said I've had to turn down a few jobs. I think Sfax is different though because there are less native English speakers here.
I've had a few private students and depending on the families income you can charge 10 TD - 30TD an hour.
Day care is a great place to look as well my friend works at a few she goes in and sings songs in English for an hour or two a week with the kids she asks 15 TD an hour

This seems exactly the kind of work I'm aiming to do! You made me a bit more hopeful again :) Thank you!