Interesting places to see in Budapest

Hi everyone

I am taking my Daughter to Budapest for a couple of days, she normally resides in the UK, and I would like recommendations as to where to go.

Most of you know Budapest better than I, as I live in Pecs.

I really would appreciate suggestions of interesting places, in or out of the city. I will have my car with me. She has done the coach trip around the city. I will be taking her to a couple of the shopping malls but then I am stuck.

I want to make it as interesting as I can for her prior to her flight back to the UK.

Thanks

markru wrote:

Hi everyone

I am taking my Daughter to Budapest for a couple of days, she normally resides in the UK, and I would like recommendations as to where to go.....Thanks

How old is she?

Hi

She is 36. Should have said, doh !!!!!

Cheers

markru wrote:

Hi

She is 36. Should have said, doh !!!!!

Cheers

Ok, so not interested in the playground, the discos etc.

What about museums (Skanzen near Szentendre), the Parliament, nice dinner at a fine restaurant, statue park, pleasure flight from Budaors airport?

My favorite place in Bp is the strange little cave-chapel right above Gellert square. It's a nice area in general. (The busy Technical University and gorgeous Gellert bath buildings, the whole Gellert hill itself must be in full bloom this time of the year)
Parking nightmare though.

szocske wrote:

My favorite place in Bp is the strange little cave-chapel right above Gellert square....

Now you mentioned caves, there are also caves to visit.

szemlohegyi.atw.hu/

Been in these caves long ago but not recently. Pictures looks like they've been fixed up with better steps, lighting and flooring. Might be worth a look one weekend.

There's a nice cake shop 100m up the hill from Kolosy square. You could go there after a busy afternoon admiring the rock formations. You can tell the cake shop is popular because of the problem parking and the people outside.

fluffy2560 wrote:

There's a nice cake shop 100m up the hill from Kolosy square. You could go there after a busy afternoon admiring the rock formations. You can tell the cake shop is popular because of the problem parking and the people outside.

That would be "Daubner cukraszda"
http://maps.google.com/maps/place?cid=7 … 2743954125

I'm a bit at loss with the "no free ads" policy of this site: This place is the most famous cake bakery in the whole country, so there's not much to advertise, but expats might not know this.

szocske wrote:

.....That would be "Daubner cukraszda"....This place is the most famous cake bakery in the whole country, so there's not much to advertise, but expats might not know this.

Yup, that's the one - forgotten it was called that. We just called it the Cake Shop at Kolosy Square! I'm sure no-one but the locals (i.e. including Mrs Fluffy) know about it.

The main issues with that place are the dreadful parking problems and there's no cafe as such. However, I passed it last week and they are building on top of the existing place so maybe they might move the bakery into the new part and create a proper cafe downstairs (finally).

But anyway, if you like cakes, that's the place.

I highly recommend a boat trip at twilight or at night!
there is this office at 'belgrade rakpart', perhaps more than just mahart (cannot remember exactly)
anyway:
http://books.google.com/books?id=5hdsVl … &q&f=false

sorry, I kinda dislike the Daubner cukrászda since I discovered an ad for a far-right party (perhaps jobbik) on their door :-(

apropos far right, there is the Dohany street grand synagogue, if you are into grandiosity of this sort - but I have arrived to mainstream sights, what a shame...