Cost of living 2018 in Thailand

I just can't even bare to think of the start up cost. It was flights to and from thailand to uk every 3 months for 2 years. 1 missed flight too. Completely my fault and to ensure I arrived on that day had to pay a very high price to leave on another flight that day. The start up costs were never planned I had no idea how it would pan out but I'm pleased to have done it. Start up costs never appear in my month to month budgets and they were kind of non essential anyway as they were choices we made on things we want. The month to month costs provided previously are essentials.

Rc2702 wrote:

I just can't even bare to think of the start up cost. It was flights to and from thailand to uk every 3 months for 2 years. 1 missed flight too. Completely my fault and to ensure I arrived on that day had to pay a very high price to leave on another flight that day. The start up costs were never planned I had no idea how it would pan out but I'm pleased to have done it. Start up costs never appear in my month to month budgets and they were kind of non essential anyway as they were choices we made on things we want. The month to month costs provided previously are essentials.

I imagine any "start-up costs" (whatever we really mean by that) would be minor compared to airfare for so many trips.

It is indeed possible to fly in with the shirt on your back and live out of a suitcase for an extended period of time (I did it) but not everyone wants to live like that forever.  Many people will eventually want a house, car, computer, phone, household appliances and hobby accessories like bikes or cameras.  I have known many people who shipped over one or more containers of goods from their previous life at a sizable expense.  If you get married here there will likely be many additional expenses like extended family and children.

For me, I find it more realistic to take my total expenditure at the end of the year and divide it by 12 instead of lowballing by excluding major expenses.  Most things end up needing to be replaced at some point, too, which adds up over time.  Anyway, I prefer to look at the year instead of the month.  My wife does the monthly and I the pay taxes and look at the overall financial situation year on year.

RC

Thank you.

VF

Once again you take a one sided opinion.

I went to the Faviola for a Christmas dinner. It's above the main dinning room of the Le Meridian. Because it was a reserved group affair, my cost was 800 baht, for a superb meal. How much was your Christmas dinner, downstairs?

I don't know how the two of you attacking me personally promotes helpfulness, world peace, and poverty. Try stating your position without making it about me. ;)

People need multiple view points in order to make their own decisions. One person pontificating the "right" or only way distracts from the open forum.

Then stop pontificating. :) Telling me what I can and  cannot do while trying to limit my input does not promote your cause.

If one were to get creative, it is possible to say that my morning cup of coffee today was free.  Just exclude that a friend bought the beans and mailed them to me, ignore the cost of the espresso machine, grinder, cup, filtered water and other insignificant costs and there you go...a free cup of coffee. :top:

I still say, if you don't include everything for the year, you are misrepresenting the true cost.

I think the point is. If your path is so different from anyone else's and you do make a point a lot that you are so different. (Different beat to drum )
How is this applicable to budding expats how does that resonate with others as being helpful.

A lot of retirees marry women 20-30 years their junior. Without a companion to share things with its difficult to know for sure you or anybody else would still be here (granted, there are some brave ones flying solo).

In that sense and it's a primary. You have a lot more in common with your fellow expats than differentials.

If you find it difficult to engage with expats as you would say " that says a lot more about you and the types you are attempting to engage)

Reason I do not factor the costs like cars, bikes baby stuff, savings. They were non essential at that time and to a new expat treading the water to get a feel for the place first two years were not required.

I never needed those items so why would I plan in advance for them when my decision on furthering my commitment in LOS was not finalised.

I suppose I should be flattered that you're so fixated on me. :unsure

Come on guys, lets stop this!
The fact of the matter is you will spend in Thailand what you can afford. It depends on the lifestyle that you plan to live, do you drive a scooter or a car, do you want medical insurance or not. Whatever.

The idea is to give future expats an idea of the costs they can expect when moving to Thailand. And that could mean you are rich or maybe just want to live as a digital nomad.

So all of these great comments should apply to some or all of the expats.

I just think comments should not be made to scare off future expats.

All expats have a budget when moving to Thailand, and if you are willing to compromise on some of your western comforts you are used to, you can live in Thailand for very little money.

There is a way of life for everyone in Thailand.Rich or poor! :)

Common sense at its best. :top:

No one opinion should prevail over anything - period. We are here to share information, not pursue ignorance. There are different people with different needs. There are different people with different needs and prospectives. I go to Walmart and spend about 300 baht for sandals. I don't need to mail order shores for 6 k baht.

Cost of living is an individual issue, not to be dictated by a man of age whose 30 years of residence in Thailand, a wife 20 years younger then him, and then him living the life of a king.

In a way I don't care about anything. What I do hate is that anyone who thinks that they have the right to subordinate me. Everyone has the right to decide for themselves, beyond that of some tainted person of age who insists that his is the only correct opinion.

Since I have been here over 40 years not 30, am not ignorant, don't dictate or subordinate others, I am not tainted and I don't insist mine is the only correct opinion...you must be talking about someone else.  My wife of 20 years is indeed 20 years younger than I am so you did get that part correct, though you seem to imply that is a bad thing which I find perplexing.

You are more than welcome to express opinions on the topic at hand but I wish you would go back to insulting me personally in the private messages rather than on the open forum.

I don't see how anyone is insulting you VF. If anything you are the one who insults the most. A guy made a remark about dual pricing and you brought "respect" into it. Maybe the guy had a lot less experience than you and you actually devalue your own perspective with remarks like that.

Surely you can sit in the eyes of a 2-5-7-10-15-25-40 years experienced expat and try to understand  his remark.  Most here can and most here commented about the ways to overcome the issue and it would be a complete fool who tries to argue it does not happen or did not happen and outright I'd say they were lying just to refute something.

Well I guess it depends on what the start is RD.

I was always shrewd with the flights. Sub £350 returns mostly so it was not crazy amd they were mostly well planned.

7 months since I been back to uk. I'm actually enroute there now so I will be freezing in the next 24 hours, hopefully!

My personal family plan is just that, so it's not solely for me and it's hopefully for the future of me. So it's a plan that takes us 2-3 years. We are 1 year into that plan and the gauge at present is happiness and the clan seems very happy. The sacrifice is days like today when we are not together but 7 months of togetherness for 2 weeks of sacrifice is a deal we can handle.

Rc2702 wrote:

7 months since I been back to uk. I'm actually enroute there now so I will be freezing in the next 24 hours, hopefully!

And you're welcome to it. ;)
Thanks for helping bring this thread back on track.

So what do you consider "start-up costs" for someone newly moving in?
For a furnished apartment, I guess you'd have to buy your own bedsheets, etc. Probably kitchenware if you're not going to live on street food exclusively...

The truth is anyone from pretty much any background and budget can begin a life in thailand.

You can rent a small room with ensuite, balcony and communal swiming pool in bang chak for 5000 a month not Inc utilities. Similar rooms outside bKK can be 20% less, maybe not a pool. For the budding expat what else do you need?

If your looking to test yourself for 6 months at any age and try living here and you have some form of safety net should it not go as planned.

That could be in the form of passive income, job openings,   a room at your families should all else fail and lets not forget the emerging digital nomads too who work from anywhere and take their safety net wherever they lay their hat.

Putting this "start up" tag makes it sound like silicon valley, it's an adventure into the unknown and the whole point of adventures is you have fun but you are not sure of how it will end.

You could love it amd decide to get a job and make it more of a serious proposition but you will not know if you van do that u til you have dipped your toe first. All that other stuff comes after IMO

Start up absolute essentials:

Fan or mosquito net or both
Fan of rice dishes
Travel insurance
Airfare home
Open mind

Small cooking appliances.
Electric cooker - 900 baht from big c
Rice cooker 1200 big  c
Fan - for a small room 300 from big c

If you have a bike licence. 15000 baht and there is always a fellow expat selling one who is running out of time and ready to do a deal.

So let's say you have a budget of 25k a month.

You could live happily without spending half of that and the rest you could use for trips etc. Part of the process for an expat might be to see how little you can spend while still enjoying what you are eating and doing.

When we was in bkk we frequented some lovely restaurants and travelled a lot. We spent  70-80k a month non stop for 10 months. A touch more than that maybe. But when we moved to Issan we realised there was not all that much to do where we were so we brought some bicycles and changed our lifestyle dramatically, weekends at her folks farm with no electronics, nearly drowning in quick sand amongst a few things. Hunting lemon tree suppliers 100m away.  So we halved our spend basically and 32500 is what we live on now.

The rest we saved and some of those savings brought the first and 2nd car and both were purchased from the dreaded used car dealer, same one on both occasions.  Good guy.

Now we save for other stuff.

I hope readers take note of the low ball start up cost and jump in with both feet but always be safe. The majority of opportunities will only appear once you are here.

Rc2702 wrote:

Putting this "start up" tag makes it sound like silicon valley...

Well, hello from South San José!

If you prefer, "non-recurring household expenses". ;)

Depending on where you decide to hang your hat, many of these expenses (microwave, room fan etc.) might come with the unit, as well as most of the furniture. I don't imagine that most of these are too expensive in the LOS, mostly cheaper than shipping these things from home.

Cheaper apartments have notoriously bad beds with many opting for the long life indestructible coconut fiber things which are hard as a rock.  Even if you get a bed you like, it would in my opinion, be advisable to get a new mattress topper, sheets and pillows to improve your sleep hygiene.  Your own towels are a good idea as well.

If you are single and new I would recommend holding off on most purchases, assuming you are bringing your own clothes, laptop and phone.  When I was new I used my apartment as a bedroom only and spent as much time as possible out exploring.  Walk around every soi in your area and take note of what is around you, even snap a photo or two with your phone.  Instead of asking where do I find this or that, ask what is out there and be open to finding new things.

Eat out, find coffeeshops with wifi to do your internet stuff, join a health club, play tennis, badminton, swim, bike, yoga or any activity which will get you out and about doing things and meeting people.  Study Thai, take cooking classes or take meditation classes.  Take a look at organizations like Rotary, Chamber of Commerce, Toastmasters and a multitude of others where you will meet Thais as well as other foreigners.  The expat club is another option but I think one should spread a wider net and get to know something about the country removed from the expat world.

Except for visa and banking, forget about to do lists.  Budget twice what you want to spend for the first year because it will cost more than you expect to get acclimated to your new life.  Travel around the country, take pictures or write about what you see, meet people and only then put down roots and get domesticated, if you still want to.

(Hopefully no one will take umbrage at me expressing a personal opinion.)

Anton, thank you.

VF - glad to see you're back on track.

I read a few pieces of moving to Thailand. One first hand point is that when renting, at least with a lease, one pays first, last and the existing rent. So the owner holds a two month deposit. try using a traditional rental agent. Some of the Thais, again some, will cheat you out of your deposit. In terms of fixing up your place rule of thumb would be one to three months of the rent to satisfy your needs. Beyond anything else it simply depends upon your budget and life style. Even if it's an effort it is very advisable to get out of your residence and enjoy yourself.

I spoke with a guy who went to Pattaya one time for a vacation with his wife. When it came time for the deposit the owner made all kinds of excuses not to pay it. The guy finally called the owner. He told the owner that if he didn't get his deposit by X amount of time then he would throw the t v into the swimming pool. The owner quickly came to the room and returned the deposit.

Oh yes, the expat club is a good resource when getting started. They have a bimonthly breakfast wher 80 -90 members meet. They have a new persons area, if you want. Or you can join anywhere there is an empty seat. Everyone is always exchanging information.

Thanks Bill

I read on Ajarn that never spend more than 25% of your monthly wages on Your house or condo. I think that is wise! :) I think like me if you are going to just sleep there, why spend a fortune on your home.

Something for the future expats to consider. :)

I once worked with a mortgage broker, part time for a couple of years. As I recall banks, in the US, like to see housing all costs 35% or less. Again that's the mortgage and there prescribed numbers. In Chiang Mai someone could find a nice house for 10 - 15 k baht a month and it would not be a s**t hole in a s**t hole neighborhood, furnished. With the cost of living in Thailand one has the ability to live a wonderful life style without spending large sums of money.

In Chiang Mai There is a Lamborghini car club. The family that created Red Bull lives in Chiang Mai. I looked at a residence hotel here once. They wanted $1,600 US a month for a one bedroom apartment. I have money and a good income, but I refused to put myself into that circle. Besides I enjoy looking for the bargains. I'll put it another way. I knew the grandson of the Singer sewing machine company. As long as we didn't talk money we could enjoy each other's company. I still get a kick out of going to the 20 baht store and seeing what is there. To each his own.

Hi everyone,
I've seen a number of posts over the past 12 months or so asking about the cost of living in Thailand and wish there was a place on the forum where we could publish what some of the average costs are (in general) so that new members can reference easy.

The cost of living varies greatly depending on the type & location of housing, one's lifestyle & one's activities and what one can afford. And, depending on your home country, some things may be less, some about the same and some even more. For example, gas is more expensive in Thailand than some parts of US, beer & good steaks are about the same and luxury cars are more expensive in Thailand than in US.

One can probably survive on $1,000 USD per month in Thailand, live very nicely on $3,000 per month and live extremely well on $9,000 per month. So, it really depends on what you can afford as to how well you can live.

You can probably rent a room for 6,000 baht per month or a 3 bedroom condo in a prime location in BKK for 75,000 baht per month.

So, unless someone posting is willing to tell us what their monthly income and their financial situation is, then we really can't help a lot...

By the way... it is not cheap for me in Thailand because I have Thai wife... hahaha... just being funny...

Kindly...

In my opinion, even with detailed information about someone's financial situation we can't really be of much help.  The best we can do is use our own lives as examples and hope they can extrapolate from there.  But without a great deal of experience in Thailand it is very difficult to visualize what life here in Thailand will look like as one sits in the West dreaming about this new adventure.  As you say the ranges in cost are huge so people will simply spend what they can afford and hopefully won't overspend by too much.

Wives can indeed have a multiplier effect on expense but they can also make life worth living. :heart:

You are so right... my Thai wife brings me happiness each and every day...

One thing I have learned from many expats on many blogs and forums, is do not plan too well. Thailand is not very well advertised on the internet(Maybe just for people wanting to go on holiday)

You will find the best job, apartment etc when you are there and explore Thailand. This also goes for where you want to live. First go check the place out before setting your heart on a place, job or apartment.

Hi Bill

Thank you for passing on the cost of living in Chaing Mai , it is about what others have said. I intend to visit there in March / April to look at accommodation as I intent to settle there . I'm looking at renting for 2 to 3 months at a time until I can get repat status .. and then look for more long term rental ..
you mentioned that you live in a secure gated house , is there many place for rent there ?
Just one last question , you mentioned monthly costs on certain things , can I ask what the monthly electricity would cost ?

Thanks so much for your post , it really does help

There are sufficient number of gated communities. Generally speaking you will need transportation. Also the further you get out of the city the greater the need to speak Thai, perhaps using a Thai friend. There's one area called Mae Rim and another called Hong Dong (spelling). Both areas have a concentration of English speaking residents and gated communities. They are also about 1/2 hour (without traffic) from the core city in opposite directions. If you had a car and a Thai speaker you could have an almost unlimited supply.

Electricity is a variable relative to the individual. Personally I like to use a fan, but there are times when a/c is helpful, such as in March, to keep the air clean. I can usually keep it below 900 baht a month, some people spend 2 k baht.

Warning; March is smoky season. A/c helps keep the air clean but you still have to go out. For some it could literally be a killer.

Thanks Bill

Maybe it is better I stay in the city for the first month and get to know the area first ... I really appreciate your advice .. hope you don't mind if from time to time I ask a few more question :)

The first and third Friday of the month is the expat breakfast. The official time is 9:30 - 11:30 at the River Market Restaurant. That's one way to start your networking. Having coffee or lunch is another.

Great I'll definitely be there once I have dates organized .... thanks

Chiming in here. This is all great information and the regular writer-contributors are as sincere, informative and entertaining as ever. Other than the surprisingly low cost of public and metered-taxi transportation and day-to-day dining (bartering with tuk-tuk drivers and some vendors aside) I think that if you want to live the same way as you have in your native country, you can expect the same or perhaps slightly lower than similar prices.

Compared to Canada, where I am from, the cost of living in Thailand is more on the favourable side. There are the Visa and Health Protection issues to deal with, of course. In Thailand, I am buffered by a whole family of chefs and business minded restaurant owners and construction workers. I am lucky, spoiled, and relatively uninformed so far as it has only been a few years and I am still relatively new to this experience. Mortgage seems great by my standards but everything is relative, eh? This is not a rich family, nor a poor family, and they all work very hard to take care of everybody's needs and aspirations. So that is all well and good.

HOWEVER, going back in time from this, I did do some research during my own explorations when I was still a single youthful-minded senior divorcee bachelor. I found a sleepy little fishing village somewhere north of Krabi Town where I could play my guitar and write my music, teach English (I'm certified) and start a volunteer music program for the villagers, enjoy learning the language and customs, and live quite well in paradise for around 15,000 baht a month. With the balance of my paltry pension to spend at will, I am a rich poor man. This way of living would include my own crib (private room and adjoining toilet/shower)  in a jungle hillside villa with access to two delicious and healthy home-cooked meals at the outdoor kitchen on a deck with a spectacular view every day. Then I would get myself a motorcycle and explore. I could hang out with the fishermen and explore the seas and islands. Cover myself for Visa and Health-care and I'm good to go. I was going to do that, but then I met my future wife at her restaurant. She served me meals for free and she found a way to my heart. She is smart, educated, artistically talented, self-taught in English and beautiful . . . so that was that. We are in Canada at this time, but we talked about my dream village just yesterday.

So, it really depends on what your needs are and how you want to live your life.  dcb

It just so happens that I was looking at Krabi within the past few days. Like is the case in so many parts of the world Krabi has been discovered. On top of that I have been told that there is a Muslim interest in that area and in some places Farangs are not welcome. As the world turns.

This reply is drifting off topic, but it has a cultural significance, which I think should be taken into consideration when budgeting for life in Thailand. So, bill kip . . .  Oh yes, you are right:  This village that is about two hours north of Krabi Town is predominantly Muslim mixed in with some Buddhism. I'm quite used to working and living with the Muslim community. Half of my adult ESL students in Canada are Muslim. At first the people were wondering what in the world I was doing there, but I enjoy the company of almost everybody, so I got that vibe back in return. I felt a wee bit uncomfortable when shopping for beers at the convenience stores, but everybody was accommodating -- There were beers in the coolers for the Chinese visitors, etc, so the rare Farang appearance is also welcome. However, there were no bars or rocking nightlife that I could find there. Only paradise. Yeah, this is a place for a writer to complete the memoirs, etc. For a musician to explore, etc. For an artist to respond, etc. For the bricklayer to create a nice thing. For anybody who wants to get creative if they wish to be there for the longer run. I counted two Farangs there -- me and a very creative and resourceful senior adventurer from Germany.  AS WELL, at my wife's and my place in the Bangkok suburbs, I count only two or three Farangs. After I got married at the local temple, everybody suddenly became my friend. Now I can give back creatively. It's wonderful. But I still watch my back, same as in Canada. Once everybody gets to know you and likes your presence in the community, they will help you watch your own back. I reciprocate. dcb

Thanks again for all the info .. it is my plan to start in Chiangmai , spend time getting to see and know the place and hopefully meeting some expats , I also would like to visit different cities so when I make a decision on what  place would suit me better . I have been planning this for a long time but now I am starting to look at visas and health requirements ...etc etc ...
I don't know how long it will take to get visas etc but I am planning to go there Apr/ May

When I first came 13 years go the bath/USD ratio was 40. If I'd been quicker I'd be 60,000 richer, but the ratio fell hard the next 3-4 years. I paid 15,000 baht/mo for 3 yrs in a gated village as opposed to about 3,000 since, once I got my bearings. Power bill was about $5 USD/mo, but usually nothing because the gov would cover it if less than 300 baht. When I finally moved my savings it was still a good deal. I gave away about 50,000 USD to good causes, the rest being well more than enough to last the rest of my life since my SS payments are 3x what I need to live, while in the states I was getting skinned alive and would have ended up starving in a dark alley somewhere, not to mention the American culture is like being surrounded by carnivorous, biting rats while here I have a gorgeous new wife, drop dead adorable granddaughter, friendly neighbors, warm/sunny days instead of having to scrape the ice off my windshield every morning and having to jump the battery. I could write a book. Oh, yeah, I did that, too, but nobody wanted to read it. Yeah, when I die they can spread the ashes over my beautiful Thai flower garden, hopefully God will have mercy and not send me back to the US.

David…I like your vibe.  Love life, live an interesting life, be an interesting person, chase your passions and eventually interesting people, friendship and love will be drawn to you.  No need for dating apps, sitting in bars or objectification of the opposite sex.  Good things happen to good people. :)

I have only been there once for about 1 month in Koh Samui and loved it , the move for me is for a number of reasons , affordable yes , but it is time to enjoy life without the worry with  ridiculous price rises , electricity here would nearly pay my monthly expenses there and I loved the culture and people .. look forward meeting the locals and expats
I'm so looking forward to my next part of my new life adventure ..