A step closer to the dream

My husband and I are now semi retired.  We live on a hill farm in Wales.  We are looking to invest in a modest property in Tuscany (or possibly surrounding regions) to live in ourselves part of the time and also to rent out during the hotter part of the year.

We are not looking for a complete wreck to renovate (we've been there and done that here) but are contemplating something that maybe needs updating and refurbishment.

We are likely to have a million and one questions and would welcome any advise you have to give.

We've had several holidays in Tuscany and obviously have our favourite places, but as far as potential for renting is concerned are there any no go areas?

What are the hidden costs of buying in Tuscany? Taxes? Stamp Duty? Legal Fees?

Can anyone reccommend English speaking property agents who are really trustworthy?

One question I can't seem to find an answer to is: If we buy a property which needs extensive redecorating is it cheaper to buy the materials in Italy or to fetch them from the UK (we have our own van) and are there any restrictions on what goods can be taken out of the UK driven across Europe and into Italy?

I'm sure there will be many more questions but that is all I can think of for now.  Ciao.

Hi and welcome on Expat.com sognatore Toscana :)

I hope you will obtain some useful recommendations and advices from other members soon ;)

Regards
Armand

Hi,
I can only reply to your last question.
It definitely is cheaper to do it in Italy (you'll also benefit from stronger currency) plus you will have access to materials you are likely obliged to use (as far as the exteriors are concerned. Interiors are up to you). This is due to strict heritage preservation. You have to use the same material style and color tone was used in the original building. So Tuscany would be the best place to get it. Ask local architects for more details on this.

As for the rest, hope real estate people will be able to help you out.
Good luck!