Close

Residence permit, what documents??

Hello, Sorry if this has been asked already many times, but I really cannot understand what I need to be doing.
I came here in Romania in September to look for a house to buy, and I found it, in a couple weeks I will have the property deed for it. My problem is that I don't have any residence permit so I am living in my house and I don't have electricity and without the permit I can't get it.
If I have understood correctly, I need to buy health insurance and then go where?
I am an italian citizen living with my mom, she  has a pension and I can also do the own means permit, but I really don't know where to go or what to do.
Thanks a lot

You will not get a residence permit, as you are an EU citizen.  You must go to IGI in your area, with your house title, insurance proof as you mentioned, and a bank statement in Romania showing you have adequate money to live on. 

You will be issued a registration certificate, which allows you to reside here for up to 5 years.

info: http://igi.mai.gov.ro/en/content/citizens-eu-eea

Romaniac
Expat.com Experts Team

Thanks a lot. for how long should I purchase insurance for? also, where is that I can buy this insurance, I only saw car insurance around. thanks

DreadedFear :

Thanks a lot. for how long should I purchase insurance for? also, where is that I can buy this insurance, I only saw car insurance around. thanks

I think IGI will accept a proof that's valid for a month.  Though if you're staying here full time, you should consider getting a policy that lasts longer.   You can get medical insurance via insurance brokers, there are kiosks/offices and websites all over the place (asigurare sanatate) or you can get state health insurance.  There are other topics on the forum discussing this.