Cohabitation in France

Hi ,

I need some urgent advice regarding moving to Lyon. I'm a Singaporean Citizen looking to get a cohabitation visa in Lyon

My boyfriend is a US citizen, who works for a government organisation in France. He will be moving there in July. He's in a high up position in the company so housing and living will not be a problem in terms of me NOT working for the year (assuming my visa won't allow me).

We've been together a while, and marriage is a little premature but we would like to continue living together. I'm not looking to work, but I'd like to have something that allows me to move with my boyfriend under a cohabitation visa of some sort. Does any one know how it works? We would like to both go in July, and not have to leave and come back after a tourist visa expires. Is there a way of getting it BEFORE going to Lyon?

I'd appreciate any information

It sounds like you will want simply a long-stay tourism/private-stay. The hard part is usually finding a place to live in France. But possibly your bf work will help with that?
If not, you can get a short-term place rented online, and use that for your visa application (Airbnb, for example)

Take a look around this (it's very new, in beta even, so not many people will have tips on it):
https://france-visas.gouv.fr/web/france-visas

How long is a long term visa?

Is a cohabitation visa of some sorts possible? This will allow his job to apply benefits to us as a couple that isnt married but in a union

Sorry I don't know if this helps, but he has an italian passport

How long is a long term visa?

Is a cohabitation visa of some sorts possible? This will allow his job to apply benefits to us as a couple that isnt married but in a union

I've never heard of a cohab visa, only spouse or coming-to-get-married. From the standpoint of the visa, you are coming on your own. Perhaps from your bf company viewpoint, you are cohabing, and that may bring benefits. But France doesn't care. Likewise, his various nationalities don't matter, since you aren't related.

The long-stay visa is for up to a year; if you make sure to *not* get temporaire, then it is renewable in France.

I confirm what JulieH wrote, I have never heard of a cohabitation visa either.

No. In my opinion and experience, Only marriage can get you a visa or any other relationship you can prove with a government paper.  Can you imagine how many people will move countries with a boyfriend just because they are in a relationship?  If you are not ready for marriage, enjoy the visitor visa and while there try getting yourself a student visa or another visa.

No such thing exists and you might have problems getting a one year residency permit. That is what you need to apply for and income is a factor. Yours, not his. Go to the French embassy nearest you and your legal residence.

Student visa might be an option but it is not easy, you will have to apply from abroad and have an academic sponsor in France, be accepted into a program of studies, etc.