New member from uk

Hi all

Thought I'd put up a post introducing myself as I'm new to expats.com. I have recently been offered a job working for Halliburton in the oil and gas sector.

I should be moving to Saudi I'm guessing by February by the time my contract and visa is sorted.

Originally from uk but have been living away for a number of years now in a few different countries.

Just looking to meet easy going fun people to enjoy my downtime with and to get advice etc about Saudi

Cheers looking forward to hearing from you

Welcome to Saudi. Most probably that you will be working in the Eastern part of Saudi.
Wish you all luck.

Riyadh I should be

You will like Riyadh. A multicultural city that is full of interesting areas and neighborhoods to explore. I bet you will find lots of easy-going friends; Saudis are very welcoming people.

Ueah Riyadh is a great city you will be more satisfy living into.

Welcome to the land of sand! Don't ya worry! There will be a new attraction in Riyadh which will be open soon! That's cinema but only half of the movie can be watched due to censorship! :lol:
Welcome to Riyadh! :D

Thanks

Trying to do my research on the place etc

Just wondered can you leave the country easily? I heard that you might not be able to get a re-entry visa until you have been there like 3 months?  I used to live in Bahrain and have friends there. Also mates in Dubai. Would want to go there often on my downtime for going for beers

Thanks

Markstuartrx7 wrote:

Thanks

Trying to do my research on the place etc

Just wondered can you leave the country easily? I heard that you might not be able to get a re-entry visa until you have been there like 3 months?  I used to live in Bahrain and have friends there. Also mates in Dubai. Would want to go there often on my downtime for going for beers

Thanks

Mmmmm... I'm not so sure about that but I guess as long as your sponsor is fine with it I'm certain you can get exit/re-entry visa.

Traveling from Riyadh to Bahrain will take you almost 5 hours to reach there by car considering no congestion at causeway. While traveling to Dubai by car will take you approximately 9 hours. But with the current oil price hike in Saudi Arabia, you might also consider getting a plane ticket instead.

Riyadh is not so bad though it is way different from Bahrain and Dubai at the moment. But it seems change is coming to KSA one by one as the country embark its journey to its vision 2030.  Just like last year,  Comiccon launched it's first ever show in Jeddah and another show in Riyadh which never happened before.

As soon as you get hands on your IQAMA (typically 2-3weeks), you can apply for single/multiple exit entry visa depending on your choice.

Good luck!

What is the current petrol price?  I'm not too fussed being on good money and from uk where it's crazy high

Hello. For sure you will be staying in a compound. There are a lot of things to do in compound and there is much freedom n compound. I join some activities here in Riyadh like hiking and camping. Let us know once you are here in Riyadh an will let you join and be connected as well to this hiking groups. See you around here in Riyadh Soon!

BTW, if it is an oil and gas company probably you will be working in Jubail but let us still see.. All the best mate!

Markstuartrx7 wrote:

What is the current petrol price?  I'm not too fussed being on good money and from uk where it's crazy high

The cost of Petrol Octane 91 is 1.37sr from 0.75sr  last year while Petrol Octane 95 is 2.04 from 0.95sr last year. It is doubled than last years price.

Also, if you are not aware, in the beginning of this year Saudi Arabia has started implementing 5%  VAT on all goods and services. So that's how the kingdom has started the new year with a bang! :dumbom:

Anyways, the current public transportation in the Kingdom for such long trips which is SAPTCO bus is another option to reach Bahrain or Dubai by land. But I don't recommend it because  it will make your trip longer than it normally takes. I have tried it once and it takes me 6-7 hours more or less to reach Riyadh from Bahrain. It is almost two hours extra than travelling by car.

great

Is there a app for expat.com?

I'm not sure but I think it's not yet available.

Just arrived in Riyadh, KSA myself last week from the States.  Wonderful time of the year to arrive...plenty of time to acclimate prior to the warmer weather.