New to Forum

Hi, I am new to this forum. I am currently an expat living in Mexico and have also lived in Costa Rica. I have never been to the Dominican Republic and would love to visit soon and see if it is a good fit. I have been looking at long term rentals online and they seem pretty reasonable.

Since I have traveled, I know the whole "don't walk around at night", "don't wear flashy jewelry", don't carry a wad of money", etc. What are your opinions on the safety of the North Coast? Everything looks good from afar, but what are good areas and what areas are to be avoided? I know there is a certain website that seems to have multiple videos about how unsafe the DR is and talks about being robbed multiple times and also recently getting run over by someone and having to go to Guatemala for medical treatment. How valid is his portrayal of the North Coast? I always like to hear other people's stories and don't buy into scare tactics.

What are food prices like? I understand the DR is an island so things are more expensive, but how do the prices compare to the States/Canada? How expensive is a gallon of milk? How much for a kilo of beef/pork, etc.

This post is all over the place, but looking to hear all that you have to say about the North Coast of DR.

Thanks in advance!

Welcome.  We have been living on the north coast for 12 years full time and have never felt threatened, robbed or out of sorts.  The place however is not for everyone and  adaptation is of upmost importance.
As to prices we find we live here for about 40% less than the same living would be in the US>  However we use very little imported products.

Bob K

Lived many years as a single woman on the north coast, it's safe depending how you live.

Anyone can put together scary videos from pretty much any area.

Cost of living will depend on how you live. Imported items Cost more. I live a modified Expat / local lifestyle and it's reasonable.