New & searching

Hi,
I have read your blog, vary informative by the way.
My partner and I found a piece of property in Las Terrenas that could be sold from a private owner. We want to build a few villas on it, live there permanently & offer reasonable rates for tourists to enjoy and spend there vacation time in DR. We have connections with a local lawyer in Las Terrenas.
My partner has been going there for the past 7 years for 3 to 5 months st a time. I have been there a couple times for a week or so each time.
We plan to incorporate in DR as a tourist residence . Have our corporation buy the land and build small modest villas to rent long term (1 to 5) months.  Being incorporated in DR do we need to file or residency and what other steps do we need to accomplish to set up a legal operating tourist residency business?

Thank you for your help and have a Happy New Year.

I have far less knowledge than most on this forum. But, I can tell you two things.

1)  There are lots of threads here you can read in regards to starting a business. Check out the drop down under the topic section of the forum.

2)  We hired a attorney just to buy 1 apartment for ourselves. You definitely need a Dominican law firm to guide you.

Thank you for the tip 😊 We certainly will seek legal guidance in all matters of our project...
Do you live permanently in DR & if so where did you come from?

Thx again
Eric

As answered privately you are smart to hold the property I side a corporation. No you do not need residencia to own a corporation but you do need it to work here legally.

Hi Eric,

I read you and your partner were already in the DR quite a few times but ...

- Do you intend to build the villas yourself or let them build ?
- Do you master the Spanish language enough to read & check any document yourself ?
- Can you follow a conversation at a high pace and understand subtleties of the Domincan Spanish ?
- How did you get to you know that lawyer ? Are there compatriots who can testify of  some succesfull experiences with him ?

I would just would like to draw your attention to a few things :

Letting build a house can be a headache, everything needs to be supervised even the supervisor.

Take care every time money is involved.

It is really difficult to rely on anyone, not to say impossible.

In the Dr, I personally would not throw myself into any project that I could not evaluate/control/master myself.

Regards

G.V.

If you plan to live there permanently, you'll need residency to bring in your container of personal belongings without all the taxes, but that would be the first time you'd need it.

Thank you, We do know Spanish and we do intend to supervise the project our selves with boots on the ground. I will keep in mind your post.
Thank you

All valid points!