Help for a silly old sod

Some years ago I.was talking to an Australian cab driver who knew a couple of Aussies who owned a hotel in Angeles City. He reckoned that their hotel would be a great place to stay while I checked out what was what.
My problem is that I can't remember the name of the hotel and I sure can't remember the names of the people. (Senility is a wicked thing)
Can anybody out there shed any light for me ?.

I know the hotel but not the name.

I would suggest just book a hotel and hit the streets to look for it.  90% of the hotels are all OK.

I'm so pleased I'm not completely senile. Many thanks and if the name should come to you, I'd be grateful if you would let me know

Thanks again and a Happy New Year to you.

Thanks for that but I'm not sure it would help, I've already scanned lists of hotels but none seems to ring any bells, but thanks anyway.

Any view points on the Clarkson?

Sorry about the delay in getting back to you.
That particular hotel doesn't ring any bells but that doesn't mean it isn't so.
Now, at least, I've got a name and in the next day or so I'll give them a ring and check it out.
Very many thanks and have a good day.

The one I know of is in Mountainview and is an overpriced run down dive. Sounds like the one you are referring to. I wouldn't waste my time.

Thanks for that. I have no idea where Mountainview is, but I do remember checking the address of the hotel at the time and, from memory, I thought it was fairly central.
The cabbie did tell me that there was a good restaurant and a 24 hour room service and that they sent a car to Manila airport to pick him up so it doesn't sound like the place you say.
Mind you I am going back about 8 or 9 years so anything could have happened since then.

Checked out the Clarkton and it appears that it's owners are German so I guess that can't be it, but thanks for trying, I appreciate it.

No, it's not the Clarkton, which is a well run hotel with a good buffet.

Moderated by Bhavna 6 years ago
Reason : Removal of name (to avoid any risk of defamation)

Doesn't sound like the place but I'll check.
I may just book the Clarkton, it sounds okay. Thanks.

A good central hotel is Queens, but I don't know if they have 24-hour room service.  Pacific Breeze does, also a good hotel.  Both better than the Clarkton.

Many thanks for the info and sorry for the delay in responding but we're currently having reception issues which makes life difficult.
I'll possibly come over in March or April and visit both Angeles and Subic.
Thanks again.

Would it be the Swagman  down in diamond area . The owners were Peter Bellamy and Rod Hegarty

With that name I guess it could well be the place. It's certainly the best choice yet but I haven't come across that hotel name in any place I've tried so far.
Thanks a lot for that. I'll try to find out a bit more and I'll give them a call.
When you're heading for a place for the first time, it's good to have a friendly base.
Many thanks.

Boomerang Hotel, Walkabout, Orchid Inn and Wild Orchid all are or were Aussie owned.

The Wild Orchid is in a much better location.

The Orchid is old and worn, but it is a little more centrally located.  My very first trip to Angeles, I stayed there--for one night.  Then I jumped to the Wild Orchid and stayed there a number of times.   They kept raising their rates, so I went to Pacific Breeze.  One trip, I stayed at Penthouse (overpriced), the new Central Park, and most recently Queens.  All are quality hotels (relatively, for Angeles).

Thanks very much I've obviously been looking in the wrong apps. I didn't realize that there would be so many Aussie owned hotels. We'll, it looks as if I've still got a fair bit of researching to do. I'll probably end up just coming over and hoping for the best.
Thanks again.

The Swagman is still aussie owned but by a different person. It is not as good as it used to be but  I still go there as I find it very easy to find people to talk to. Not a very noisy area the best rooms are where the restaurant is  although dearer .The food is always good and the staff accommodating . In saying this this is only my opinion so I hope this is some help for you.
    You get a bus from Swagman Manila to Swagman Angeles .

This may well be the place because I remember it was owned by 2 Aussie guys, it had 24 hour room service and they would send a car to meet you at Manila but, I guess, it could have changed hands by now.
Most of the hotels show a rate per night but someone has told me that if you book for a week the rate go's down and if you pay cash it go's down again. This doesn't sound right to me. Could you advise please.
Much appreciated.

Most places give a cash discount, usually 10%. Rate reductions for longer stays may vary, I don't recall getting them for 2-3 week stays (but there are a lot of things I don't recall).

The manager of Swagman is Ray and his wife works in the office .I was there in August 2017 he was trying to go to the states but if you ring them I am sure you will obtain a discount.They still pick you up from the airport if you are staying at swagman in Manila

You and me both. I'm okay about what happened 20 years ago but damned if I can remember what happened yesterday.
I was pretty certain I wanted to retire to either Angeles or Subic, wasn't sure which because I've only visited Manila. I've now had so much advice on where to stay, I'm not sure if I'm Arthur or Martha.
I figure I might come over for a few weeks and look around, pick somewhere and stay for a month and see what happens. Does that sound like a plan or have I got it wrong ?
Cheers.

You had better spend some time wherever you're thinking of retiring before moving there.  Get the feel of it, don't just parachute in somewhere.  I personally would take Subic over Angeles, but you should visit both places (and Thailand and Vietnam and Malaysia) to see what suits you best.

Why were you certain you wanted to retire in either Angeles or Subic?

Best,
bizwizard

I am moving to Angeles to live in March which is my preferred option I have been to other places in PI but this is my preference.
     There are plenty of beautiful places in PI but as bizwizard stated don't just jump in head first. I play golf and know a few people in Angeles that do also so that is one of the reasons I am going to live there.
     Some people prefer the beach some prefer cooler areas such as Baguio or Tagatay
so have a look around before you decide .Domestic air fares are reasonably cheap so it always pays to look around.
      If you are in angeles in march we can meet up at the Swagman for a drink  I will get
your  details from you if you like.Wishing you the best on your trip .

I once knew someone who retired to Subic and he rated it very high and I know someone else who goes to Angeles every 6 months for 3 months.
Having said that, neither of these people are people whose company I particularly enjoy.
One of the few pleasures of getting old, there is no peer pressure.

I was there last week and stayed at the Swiss chalet, it was fine and the restaurent gave good meals. Breakfast Swiss style was also great, real bread and sausages with brown wholemeal bread.  The Orchid Inn is also close and the rooms are good.  Sooo many Koreans and a guy in the "Atlandtis" was throwing bunches of 20 peso notes over the balconey.......sad to see the girls scrambling to catch them, should have thrown him over!