Banos in you homes

Maybe an unpleasant subject, but what are the thoughts on toilet tissue versus waste cans in your home bathrooms? We do not have a bidet. If putting one in becomes an option, we might consider it. We want to be responsible and protect our plumbing investment. Trash is such a problem, I hate to create more but I kind of feel the little trash can (with lid) is the way to go.

I did find it interesting that one of our Dominican cousins had no problem pouring an entire skillet of leftover tostones grease down the drain.....

Depends on the house,  the area its in, the plumbing etc!

Many places have 3"in. instead of 4"in sanitary drains.  Almost all will work if care is used to not throw junk down the toilet. Rid-x or some chicken parts or a couple of ponds of hambuger in the septic tank cooking off as ut should. proper care & it will never require pumping out. No need for the Honey Wagon.  Old homes are more prone to this problem.  With the advent of indoor plumbing, any paper was used  didn't easily break down. It also gave parents a chance to check for worms  other parasites. I doubt that you need the little can.

As long as you have "modern pluming "  4 inch drains you will be fine flushing paper.  YOu will find in many places, especially in restaurants with old plumbing you have the small can to use. Here the drains are 3 in or less and get clogged easily.

Bob K

Thank you. That is what I needed to know. Our apartment is new construction. I have seen and used the paper in the can method in several places. I just want to make sure we are being as responsible as possible and not contributing to an already existing problem.

We are not of the mindset that we are coming to another country to try and change it. We want to adapt. We are coming for the differences, not to "fix" them, if that makes any sense. 😎

With your atitude you will do just fine here. People who want it to be like "Home" should stay home.  I have no patience with whiners & denigrators.(sp). I'm too lazy to look it up.

I've never heard anybody say they wanted to come here so they'd have to throw toilet paper in the trash can.   Apparently richer and more educated Dominicans prefer modern plumbing just like us.

Tinker, do you mean that if you build a house here you will put in 3 inch pipes in order to match the locals, and thus have to put toilet paper in the trash for the rest of your life?

We have sufficient pipe width...but share a septic tank/field with neighbors.  So, we also try to use the small can method.  We had heard that if they come clean out the septic tank/pit...it would not be with a hose and truck...not sure I really want to know...I am investigating the additives that help waste and paper breakdown...

Not me, I refuse to adapt to the locals who throw trash everywhere, but try to change them by my more civiles example.

"We are not of the mindset that we are coming to another country to try and change it. We want to adapt. We are coming for the differences, not to "fix" them, if that makes any sense. "  Wow with that attitude....you will do fine here.

Bob K

Having been a licensed contractor, I would know better.  Chronic snide comments do not become anyone here or anywhere else. We all define ourselves by our actions & our use of words.  I feel empathy for the locals problems with being an emerging society that has been plagued with generations of poverty & lack of decent education.  Having a can next to the toilet is far better than having to use an outdoor out house. I commend those who adapt to the reality of living here.  Brodies, they do pump out with hoses.

Colonel...As far as I know, you still have not heard anyone  (if the anyone you referenced is me), say any such thing. 😂😂.

Thank you Bob.

You are welcome.  Just learn to ignore the inane comments.  Some just like to hear them selves talk and take them selves way too seriously.

Bob K

You did, here's your direct quote, "We are not of the mindset that we are coming to another country to try and change it. We want to adapt. We are coming for the differences, not to "fix" them, if that makes any sense. ".    I just pointed out how my position contrasted with yours.