Retirement visa 2017

Is there any more information available on retirement visa requirements? I was on this page about the requirements for 2017 (http://www.movetocambodia.com/planning- … sas/#types), where it says:

"ER visa. The new retirement visa is the most confusing and least documented of the E-class section. The requirements for the ER visa have not been clearly defined at time of writing,..."

There was another thread about this about 5 months ago, but it went unanswered.

I got one recently.  There's another thread here somewhere where it says you need to be 55 years OR have proof of a pension.  I am 57 but the agent that arranged my visa asked me for proof before submitting the application.  Well I had it and gave it to him and got my visa without any problem, but I'm not sure that he needed to ask for proof.  Still, you should genuinely be retired so you should be able to supply a letter from your superannuation fund or government.

You could find answers on the Cambodia Visas thread, but I will answer you here too.

ER is not a visa but an extension of stay EOS. After initially entering the country on a Ordinary (E) visa, you can extend your stay within a month for several lengths of time and several kinds of EOS.

The retirement EOS (ER) falls in two groups, those older than 55 and those younger. Employment is not allowed. The EOS can be for 1, 3, 6 and 12 months, the first two are single entry, the last two multiple entry.

If you are 55 or older you don't need any documents, just go to a reliable agent and apply for the ER, passport, photo and about $290 would do for a year extension.

If you are under 55 you have to prove your retirement status by a letter from your country's institute, that confirms your retirement. On top proof of monthly payments coming in from abroad.

That's all. Don't try to find any written explanation, it does not exist, but this is the common practice.
If an agent tells you different things, change agents.

Cheers.

Joe
Cambodia expat-advisor
Expat.com team

And from what you wrote on another thread Joe, the passport would have to be valid for 6 months BEYOND the END DATE of your Visa... so for a 12 month Visa the passport has to have 18 months validity remaining?

Thank you very much, JoeKhmer, that is very helpful :)

kernow2017 wrote:

And from what you wrote on another thread Joe, the passport would have to be valid for 6 months BEYOND the END DATE of your Visa... so for a 12 month Visa the passport has to have 18 months validity remaining?

Yes it is correct. But if it is necessary you could ask an agent if they can help. If you stay longer time here it is advisable to get a new passport before you arrive, most countries have a passport validity of  10 years so that is comfortable enough.

Cheers

Joe

Kurterino wrote:

Thank you very much, JoeKhmer, that is very helpful :)

You are most welcome :

Cheers

Joe

Good advice Joe, retirement visas are easily obtained if you fit the profile of being over 55. I think its very fair and recently obtained one for myself (i'm 65) through my usual travel agent. I've been living here for 18 years and never had any problems with visas, just follow the law and don't get cute. Be thankful its not like Thailand with all their BS.

RossiRoss

You're absolutely right re Thailand. I lived there 8 years before coming to Cambodia and the Immigration hassle was one of the reasons, right after the more friendly female population over here.

Every 90 days I had to drive 1.5 hours to Immi just to show up, 1.5 hours back. Every year at the extension a pack of documents, a letter from the embassy, a drawing of how to get from Immi to my house, unbelievable. I always found they treat expats as criminals. I'm glad I left and am very happy here in relaxed Cambodia, where I have never seen the Immigration Office.

As for retirement age, there is no minimum age of 55. The confusion is caused by the fact that people over 55 don't need to prove their retirement status, whereas people under 55 have to prove their status plus incoming regular amounts from abroad.

Cheers

Joe

Agreed Joe   :)

Joe, my first time on this site - thanks for your postings, very lucid and full of good info.  I have lived in Bkk for 3plus years now and wile I don't have any Thai immigration horror stories (I have a retirement visa), it is a hassle going to the Chaeng Wattana immigration office.  I am actually thinking about moving to Cambodia.  The baht has appreciated more than any other SE asian currency against the US dollar and its become irksome. Anyway,,,,just wanted to say thanks.  OH....you mentioned Khmer women are friendlier, I totally agree (limited experience here in Cambodia, but what I have seen that is the case)

pctcturner wrote:

Joe, my first time on this site - thanks for your postings, very lucid and full of good info.  I have lived in Bkk for 3plus years now and wile I don't have any Thai immigration horror stories (I have a retirement visa), it is a hassle going to the Chaeng Wattana immigration office.  I am actually thinking about moving to Cambodia.  The baht has appreciated more than any other SE asian currency against the US dollar and its become irksome. Anyway,,,,just wanted to say thanks.  OH....you mentioned Khmer women are friendlier, I totally agree (limited experience here in Cambodia, but what I have seen that is the case)

Hi, good to read your appreciation of my posts and my personal view of Cambodian girls/women.

I always say Thais allow you into their country but don't accept you into their society. They call you "alien" and although technically correct I always found it weird. Visa situation is horrible compared to the ease of Cambodian Immigration.

Girls. Yes they are more friendly and less businesslike than in Thailand. Other than in Thailand over here you can expect about half of the staff of bars to not go with customers. They are hostesses and earn extra money to their horribly low salary by getting offered ladydrinks, of which they get one dollar commission. They are normal girls with sometimes a boyfriend or husband at home. But most of them are looking for a westerner who will support them and give them a good life.

They are as beautiful as Thai girls, but I have seen more extremely beautiful girls here than in Thailand.
If you come here please respect them, they are wonderful daughters of a destroyed country under Khmer rouge, and if they are under 25 they know nothing about the atrocities their family has gone through. They grew up in a poor country that is surviving, today Cambodia is a rising country, with a 7% economic growth, growing tourism, industry and agriculture. These girls are the pillars of the new generation of Cambodia, show them respect and they will love you for that. Never felt so warm as when here in the presence of Cambodian girls.

Good luck.

Joe
Cambodia expat-advisor
Expat.com team

Hello.

Just come over first and get in on a Ordinary [E] visa, valid for one month.

Within that month apply for a ER [retirement] extension of stay, for maximum one year, multiple entry.

If you follow the rules it does not really matter what agent you take, talk to local expats and they will tell you where to go.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

Joe
Cambodia expat-advisor
Expat.com team

Hello Evita.

Then it would be a good idea to post your question on the Siem reap forum, this is the Phnom Penh forum  :)

Joe

Hello Evita.

You need nothing but a photo to apply for an Ordinary visa, just tick the box for Ordinary, not the tourist visa.
If asked you say you want to stay longtime on a retirement extension.

Rental contract is needed when you open a bank account at a Cambodian bank.

Joe

You're most welcome Evita, always a pleasure to help someone.

Expat.com has the name to be knowledgeable and serious, we members of the team do all we can to keep up the good name Expat.com has.

Have a good trip to Siem reap and a nice stay, I have no doubts you will have a pleasant stay.

Joe
Cambodia expat-advisor
Expat.com team

Hi Joe,

i am 51 stay at moment in Europe and would like to get a retirment visa in May during my next PP visit.

You wrote :

If you are under 55 you have to prove your retirement status by a letter from your country's institute, that confirms your retirement. On top proof of monthly payments coming in from abroad.

Other guy wrote he had to prepare documents from his embassy.

Your countrys Institute is pension fund, right ?

You know the basic retirement age is about 65 years. So most under 65 are not retired because reaching an age limit. Most have just enough money or rental income.

Has someone under 55 experiance what kind of documents will work. I have to prepare it before my departure to Cambodia.

The monthly payments you wrote, they have to be paid at a Cambodian bank, or is it ok if they be paid at your home country bank account ? i would use ATM.

I could only prepare statement about my
1  for example monthly rent income,
2  future private pension will be paid at age of 60
3 maybe a one time insurance payment at age of 60
but no official retirement document from pension istitute.

Would be great if someone under 55 will share his experiance. Succesful experiance or if application was rejected.
Over 55 would be also nice if realy no documents are needed.

Any Agent recommendation in PP.
What will happen with 290 Visa fee if visa application is rejected.

Thanks
Georg

Hello Georg.

Over 55 no documents needed, that is the situation now, but can change anytime.

Under 55 you have to prove your pension status, which can be disabled pension, so very well possible under 55, Here on Expat.com was recently a guy from Australia on a disabled pension, had to supply the letter from the department or institute that confirmed his pension status.

In the meantime there are also examples of people not being retired, that have proven their financial status by supplying 3 months of bank receipts showing money coming in from abroad.
Not sure if they accept foreign accounts, as that does not prove income here.
It would always be a good idea to get a Cambodian bank account anyway.

I hope this answers your questions.

A reliable agent in PP is Lucky Lucky Motorcycle shop, No. 413Eo, Preah Monivong (St. 93), 12258 Phnom Penh, Preah Monivong Blvd (93)
Phone: 023 220 988.

Cheers.

Joe
Cambodia expat-advisor
Expat.com team

Hi Joe - Repeating a post I just made on a visa forum discussion. Reading this thread I see that I don't have to prove retirement income over age 55. But is it true - as I read online in someone's blog - that pensions and social security are taxed at 20% by anyone residing in the country 182 days or more? Has anyone had experience with this? Thanks.

Aaah, interesting. Mine has 18 months to run...wonder if I can get a new passport early?

Paulsenior wrote:

Aaah, interesting. Mine has 18 months to run...wonder if I can get a new passport early?

Although not a problem to get a new passport, if it's just less than 6 months after expiry date there wouldn't be a problem I guess.

When is your extension of stay expired? Soon?

Cheers.

Joe
Cambodia expat-advisor
Expat.com team

Haven't applied for it yet, that's why I was looking at this post. I come back in April and was looking to apply for retirement visa then, but that would take me to Within 6 months of passport expiring...
I am sure I can do something.
Thanks for the information.
Paul

When you arrive in April you first have your 30 days of the Ordinary visa. Then the extension of stay would commence in May. So you can calculate how many months left after expiry. If it's less than four months I would not take the risk. Two ways to avoid problems: one is to get a new passport as you mentioned, the other is to get a 6 months extension, so that there will be more than 6 months passport left after the extension expires.

Good luck.

Joe

Joe, is it possible to go from an ordinary EB visa which I've been extending since my arrival in late August 2016, to a retirement visa?

Yes Rob, you just apply for the ER extension of stay and it will be changed.

If you are 55 or over, no documents needed other than your passport and photo, plus payment.

If you are under 55, you have to proof your status of retirement [disabled or early retirement] or proof that you are financially independent by supplying bank slips of incoming money.

Cheers.

Joe

"Greetings everyone"  I'm brand new to the site. Been enjoying the site from the get-go. 

Really appreciate the down to earth info your provide Joe.
Removed much of the mystery for me around Cambo immigration and visas.

Been residing in Pattaya Thailand for nearly 2 years now. (Retirement visa).
- But beginning to tire of the hoops and hassles Thai immigration puts retiree's through each and every year.
- Even though I've enjoyed it's people, the culture, and the scenery, I'm not so sure I want to extend for a third time around.! 

- Cambodia sounds like a guy could spend more time relaxing and enjoying life.
- I've got three months left to learn more and make up my mind.. but from what you've described so far, I think I'm on my way.

"Thank you Joe",  for a great site and great information.
I really appreciate the work you're doing here.

Hello ben2b.

Thank you for the compliments, always good to hear when people like the info that is given.

I feel your situation, as I have gone through it myself.
After 8 years Thailand I decided to move to Cambodia 3 years ago and never regretted one day.
The feeling of being a criminal when visiting Thai immigration has become worse and the useless 90 day reports plus the heap of documents required every year made me go away.
A funny but nevertheless annoying thing was that at "my" immi office [each office has it's own rules] they required a drawing or map how to get from immigration to my house. Eight years I provided the same drawing and eight times they put it in the dossier.
It can only get worse and I decided to move on.

In Cambodia I have never seen one Immigration officer when applying for another year extension of stay. All goes through agents in your town/city, and is returned in about a week.
Although they have becoming more strict in the area of business extensions, the retirement extension is a smile. Unless you're under 55 no need for any documentation. Stick to the rule that you are not allowed to work on a retirement extension and there won't be any problem.
No 90 day reports, no heaps of documents each year, it's very relaxed and easy.

So is life in Cambodia. People are nice, friendly, even police officers, immigration officers and other officials are friendly and cooperative. Cambodian people are like that, easy and relaxed.

Life is good here, for sure for retirees, and we deserve it, don't we?

Cheers.

Joe

JoeKhmer wrote:

Life is good here, for sure for retirees, and we deserve it, don't we?

Cheers.
Joe

Here here.

I came to Cambodia first on the recommendation of a friend in Australia, and it seems I did extremely well.  Thailand is more heavily advertised in Australia and is the preferred destination for most Australians; but now that I hear these stories I am content that I chose Cambodia and I have no intention of changing to another Asian country now.  I love Phnom Penh, it has everything and it's cheap and fantastic.

Paulsenior wrote:

I'm not sure about your countries passport rules, but I have a similar issue & in Australia you can apply early for a passport & they will add up to 9 months onto your new passport....

My passport expires in June 2020, I'm not planning on leaving Aus to move over to Cam until late this year or early next year.. But I will try and leave it till the last month or 2 before I leave to renew my passport so I get close to the 9 month addition as I can.

Perhaps your country has a similar policy?  Google or call your passport government department...

Joe,
Quick question for you.
I am planning to come over in September to live.
Now i am over 60 so the ER visa works.
However i would like to work at some point.
I heard Work Permits are from Jan 1st-31 Dec
So getting one in Sept-Oct seems a waste of money at that point.
The looking for work visa is that an option?
What is the best way do you think?
Regards
Steve

sheppo60 wrote:

Joe,
Quick question for you.
I am planning to come over in September to live.
Now i am over 60 so the ER visa works.
However i would like to work at some point.
I heard Work Permits are from Jan 1st-31 Dec
So getting one in Sept-Oct seems a waste of money at that point.
The looking for work visa is that an option?
What is the best way do you think?
Regards
Steve

Hi Steve.

1. You are not allowed to work when you have a retirement extension of stay.

2. You cannot get a work permit before Jan 1, as your employer did not report you in the foreign workers quote at the beginning of the year.

3. In case 2. your employer should list you as volunteer with possibility to become an employee. You would still need to change your visa extension to EB.

4. If you talk freelancer or own business, you apply for a EG [general] extension of stay for 6 months, in that time you can register your business, get tax certificate and so on.

5. When all is ready you change your EG or ER to EB, for that you need either a letter from your employer or your business registration.

In short: if you have already a job or a business plan, come on an Ordinary visa and extend for a EG extension of stay. If you have no concrete plans, come on a Ordinary visa and also extend for a EG as it gives you 6 months to find a job or to establish your business.
If you think it will take more time to find employment, just come on an Ordinary visa and extend for a ER retired extension. You can always change back from ER to EB if you start working. Keep in mind that you can get a ER extension for 1, 3, 6 and 12 months, so you can plan ahead.

Work permit is $100 a year, so a waste if you only arrive in September. I would, but a personal opinion, get a ER extension and do nothing until the new year starts. In the new year you have time until April to apply for a work permit.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

Joe
Cambodia expert
Expat.com team

Joe is so knowledgeable .... so helpful.

kernow2017 wrote:

Joe is so knowledgeable .... so helpful.

Thanks kernow.

It is what makes Expat.com the best website and forum for expats. Check one of the others and you see the difference, mainly in lack of answers to questions.

It's not always easy, but I try my best. I spend a lot of time searching for answers on questions of members.
But for me was sure, from the beginning, that visa questions, work permit and so on are the most important issues and they have to be dealt with. Also accommodation and education are important matters.

So by now I know a lot about Immigration and work permits, freelancers, own businesses.

But I'm very pleased with your appreciation, always nice to hearing you don't do the work for nothing, but really help people.

Cheers mate.

Joe

Joe,
I was wondering if you would answer a question for me. For a retirement visa for someone under 55 that person needs proof of retirement and proof of monthly income, would an award letter from social security (disability) be accepted as proof of monthly income?

Auggiedoggy wrote:

Joe,
I was wondering if you would answer a question for me. For a retirement visa for someone under 55 that person needs proof of retirement and proof of monthly income, would an award letter from social security (disability) be accepted as proof of monthly income?

Yes, a letter of a social security department that you are disabled is proof of being retired.
Then either a statement of that social security or just 3 months bank slips would be sufficient to proof you receive money from abroad.
Sometimes they don't bother about the financial part when applying, but if officers would visit you you have to prove your income.

Take care that you have a knowledgeable agent, if you don't have one I can give you info, just pm me.

Cheers.

Joe

JoeKhmer wrote:
Auggiedoggy wrote:

Joe,

Yes, a letter of a social security department that you are disabled is proof of being retired.
Then either a statement of that social security or just 3 months bank slips would be sufficient to proof you receive money from abroad.
Sometimes they don't bother about the financial part when applying, but if officers would visit you you have to prove your income.

Take care that you have a knowledgeable agent, if you don't have one I can give you info, just pm me.

Cheers.

Joe

joe,
Thank you for taking the time to answer have a great day

Auggiedoggy wrote:
JoeKhmer wrote:
Auggiedoggy wrote:

Joe,

Cheers.

Joe

joe,
Thank you for taking the time to answer have a great day

You're most welcome!

Joe

By social security do you mean newstart allowance?...then no, you'll be instantly cut off as soon as you leave Australia. The age pension is only fully portable and not reduced if you reside at least 2 years in Australia prior to your age pension date. I do believe you are allowed to go overseas during this period for 3 months, but don't quote me.
If you are overseas for 2 years prior to your age pension entitlement it will be reduced substantially if you continue to reside overseas and I believe it will be cut off after 3 months/6 weeks?

Hello.

Your post relates to the pension situation in one country, Australia.

That is a different chapter than how to get a retirement extension in Cambodia.

But for Australians among the members it is useful information and they should be careful to not lose their pension payments..

Cheers.

Joe

My bad, I was replying to 'New and Improved' who posted about losing 20% off some pension and age pension stuff.
Cheers.
Every bit helps.