Retireing to Siem Reap, Angkor Wat.

Hi there,

I am a UK guy wanting to retire in Siem Reap.

I have just come back from six years in Egypt. I am an Egyptologist and Independent Researcher into Pharaonic History and Local Culture. I wrote articles for several magazines. I would like to research Cambodia's history and to meet local Archaeologists.

I like the Classics both in Music and the Arts, Antiques, Sciences, Computers, Electronics, Technology, Cosmology, Astronomy, Egyptology and Traveling.

My hero scientists are Albert Einstein, Carl Sagan Michio Kaku, and Brian Cox.

Countries I have visited:
Holland, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Liechtenstein, Switzerland, France, Spain, Monaco, Bulgaria, Tunisia, Egypt, Cyprus, Grand Canaries and Italy.

I have joined this site to meet people who can give me information on retiring in Siem Reap. The best areas for renting and living and how to stay safe.

Take care

Hello.

You can find all kind of information on the Siem reap forum here, please have a look.

Joe
Cambodia expat-advisor
Expat.com team

Hi Bernie,

My advice is to travel around the country and see for yourself which place you like best and that gives you a positive vibe and an adequate social life.  Traveling by bus is fairly inexpensive ( a few bucks ) and clean and affordable rooms can be found everywhere.

If you need to be near Ankor Wat; then thats a personal choice, although Siem Reap is fairly small and not many expats reside there; making meaningful relationships with locals is fairly hard in all developing countries. 

Phnom Penn is the most vibrant city and its full of expats from all walks of life; and the locals are somewhat traditional yet cosmopolitan. 

I regret not visiting Kampot and Kep, and i only read positive reviews from expats and retirees stationed there.

This forum will certainly help you get a better view of the country and plan your trip to Cambodia.

Best of luck.

This is an old post and Bernie is already back in the UK since a month, after having stayed two months in Siem reap.

Joe

I hope someone else looking to retire here will find my post useful.

Thanks.

I'm hoping to retire to Cambodia, possibly as soon as Sept of this year. Specifically, Siem Reap. I have visited the area twice now so I am familiar with the area as well as the people.

This site is extremely helpful, especially in the areas of visas and housing. I am getting closer to making my dream a reality.