Vietnam Embassy in Southeast Asia

After yet another 3-hour long wait at Tan Son Nhat yesterday (I don't know who was more upset, me or my screaming baby girl... haha)... nobody was getting through fast... I was amazed / impressed to see many officials turning away any passports with bribe money tucked into the pages.

I want to know if anybody has recent positive experiences at any VN embassies in Southeast Asia (Thailand, Singapore, Laos, Cambodia, etc)

I'm not starting work in VN until next year, so I've been doing the 3-month visa run thing for a bit, exclusively using the Visa on Arrival process at TSN.

On the different embassy websites, I can find out the cost of the visas, but very little about the actual procedure.

This is all that's stated on the Bangkok embassy site,

Tourist Visas: Prior arrangements with Viet Nam's agencies are required and to be paid. As a rule, these agencies have to contact Viet Nam's Immigration Department for tourist visas.

So I need an agency to do this for me? I'm confused. Haha

Any help or insight would be amazing.

Not sure on which site you got that quoted info.
Here's the official site of Embassy of VN in Thailand.

In case of VoA, you have to go through an agency for your Letter of Approval. No need to go to a VN embassy for that.
Otherwise, you can apply for a standard tourist visa in any VN embassy.
- Visa application form
- Consular hours
- Fees and charges

senwl wrote:

I got it directly from the site that you mentioned.

See top of this page regarding fees (which you also linked to). Fees and charges

kschulz wrote:
senwl wrote:

I got it directly from the site that you mentioned.

See top of this page regarding fees (which you also linked to). Fees and charges

Interesting!
Vietnamese version of the page doesn't have that clause.
Their embassy sites for Singapore and Philippines don't have it as well.
In most other countries VN embassies keep it pretty straight forward.
(e.g. http://vietnamembassy.org.uk/)

I got a one year multiple entry Visa in the Vietnamese Embassy in Bangkok, cost a little more than what the USA site so, when I asked about it, they said each Embassy sets its own cost based on  their operating cost - US Site quoted $135  Bangkok cost was about $165........ but it was painless and I turned passport in on one morning, had the Visa next afternoon, still using it.

Unless you are making an emergency trip to Vietnam, I see no reason to use VOA.  There is nothing better than having a paid for visa glued into your passport so that nobody at Than Son Nhat will question you for even a moment.  If you are in a third country like Thailand and have the time and reasonable access to a Viet Embassy or consulate, use it.  If you are in the US and don't live near D.C or a consulate city, seek out a Viet Kieu owned travel agency.  In most such places, if you buy your ticket with them, they will get your visa for you at no added cost except maybe postage.

Couple years ago went to Cambodia for a few days. Went to the Vietnamese consulate by tuktuk. I never even went inside.  The guard in the gate shack took my passport. Next morning I went back, and he came over to the tuktuk with it. I even tipped him for making it so convenient.

Before that I got one in Singapore. It's a very posh colonial mansion with long driveway on a gardened estate. Can't remember how much but was shocked at the price that time.

Cambodia. Embassy in Phnom Penh
Consulates in Siem Reap, Sihanoukville and Battambong.

south Laos. Savanakhet and Pakse.

All are easy and quick - one day

Savanakhet was the easiest visa I have got from anyone anywhere. No-one else there. Plus it was just around the corner from my guesthouse. The town is on the Mekong and has a French heritage area but wasn't that interesting. There are lots of buses to Vietnam but it takes all day coz the highway is not good in Laos.

Pakse consulate not busy. I didn't see any westerners in town. Nice scenery but lots of traffic. Many Vietnamese in Pakse. Much better hiway to Vietnam. Expensive hotels.