It's Belize or BURST! RELOCATING

Coming from Atlanta, GA (US) to spend a few days in Belize in Feb. 2018. This will be the 1st of many visits to determine a geological location to take up residence. On this trip, myself and girlfriend will be visiting the islands of Caye Caulker and Ambergris Caye. Although we have entrepreneurial ambitions, I am a seasoned telecommunications metro ethernet engineer by trade. Would migrate there much quicker should a job arise in my field. This will be an information gathering trip. I've read quite a few forums and pretty versed on a few details pertaining to the country. I will verify my findings in person and adjust accordingly. We will visit Corozal and Central Belize on the next trip. Since the plan is to be in Belize within the year or beginning of 2019 at the latest, would anybody suggest we bring any other documents on the 1st trip other than our identification. Also, do you suggest I obtain anything from Belize that cannot be obtained online or via phone call.

Rahim5191 wrote:

Coming from Atlanta, GA (US) to spend a few days in Belize in Feb. 2018. This will be the 1st of many visits to determine a geological location to take up residence. On this trip, myself and girlfriend will be visiting the islands of Caye Caulker and Ambergris Caye. Although we have entrepreneurial ambitions, I am a seasoned telecommunications metro ethernet engineer by trade. Would migrate there much quicker should a job arise in my field. This will be an information gathering trip. I've read quite a few forums and pretty versed on a few details pertaining to the country. I will verify my findings in person and adjust accordingly. We will visit Corozal and Central Belize on the next trip. Since the plan is to be in Belize within the year or beginning of 2019 at the latest, would anybody suggest we bring any other documents on the 1st trip other than our identification. Also, do you suggest I obtain anything from Belize that cannot be obtained online or via phone call.

I suggest you search for and review the threads in this forum regarding:
1) Actual employment (unlikely due to protecting Belizions) vs  starting your own business. 
2) The long amount of time it takes to open an international bank account means you should review the documentation requirements, bring what they want with you to start the process now. I suggest carefully reviewing requirements posted on Atlantic Banks International site. Pay attention to needing ORIGINALS of referral letterS. Bring recent utility bills. When they suggest weeks...think months.

A domestic Bank account would be more useful, but it seems they are rejecting non-resident Americans from opening one these days. and it takes 2-3 years to get residency.

Island living sounds romantic and  works well for some. I suggest looking at more mainland areas for when the romance of island life wears off and the reality sets in. ;)

Thank you very much Will. I'm going to continue my research and have I big bullets on the points you have made.

We opened an international bank account (off-shore account) with Caye Bank in San Pedro about 4 years ago. Good service and reasonable fees. At that time, it was not very difficult, and the major issue was original documents, as Will indicated. You can go to your local police precinct to obtain the letter regarding your lack of criminal activity. The rest of the documents are pretty easy to obtain, but they all have to be dated within  30 days of your application.
Your best option for 'work' is to open a business and hire Belizeans. You would have to be 'recruited' to work for a Belizean company, and that is not very likely in general.
If you opt to live on one of the cayes, remember you have to be able to get off the caye in bad weather, as well as routinely get to the mainland for supplies, which can be an ordeal.
Good luck in your endeavor, regardless of where you end up. Belize is a beautiful country with lots of opportunity.

Thank you very much for your response. I will be certain to at least come down with the credentials to get the international bank account established. Thank you again!