Interest in Las Terrenas

Hi all!  I'm new and am seriously considering moving to Las Terrenas.  I've been looking at a few properties and am organizing a trip to search some areas.  I'm single and in my late 30s.  I only speak English - do most people speak English there?  I would also like a recommendation for lawyers in that area to assist in the event I find a good place.  Thanks so much!!

Have you been there? Have you checked out other areas of the North shore. Lots of great places  A lot of French spoken there. Most ex-pats speak one or the other. Take your time & explore.  Take your time & have fun in your new adventure. Welcome & good hunting.

Yes explore.  To live here some basic Spanish will go a long way.  It is the language of the country after all.  You will find in Las Terrenas French is very common as many French EXpats live there.
Come and visit before you make any decisions.

Bob K

Please come and check things out first. Buying something and then not liking it here can mean you are tied to your purchase for several years.

No English is not common. Here except I. Specific areas. But many and in fact most services you will need Spanish.

Good Lawyer will depend where you end up.

AmeliaRob,

My husband and I fell in love with Las Terrenas, but it's not for everyone! We were just there before Christmas and closed on an investment property in Playa Bonita Beach Residences and started the process of buying a lot in the Coson Lomas.  We looked at many houses on our longer trip this summer and none would work for us long term, so we opted for buying the land and then building a house once we retire down there.

You definitely need to learn Spanish! More of the locals have French as a second language than English.  You can get along fine for a visit, but not knowing Spanish would be painful (and likely expensive). When you visit, you can rely on google translate - I had to use that when I was ordering a Coca-Cola to take home with me from a restaurant - I couldn't figure out the right way to ask that the bottle not be opened. :-)

If you're interested in looking at real estate while you are there, make sure you get an agent who speaks English fluently! I was corresponding by email with several expat realtors and even with written English, two who were French were difficult to communicate with.

I'm happy to help answer any questions you might have. I'm not an expert on the area, but I'll share what I can.

Denise

Thank so much Denise!  I got your message as well.  I've actually been talking to the realtor you suggested and so far he's been great!  So it's nice to know you bought through him as well! I know a little Spanish but will def need to work on it! 
I plan to visit in january again and am very excited to look at a few of the homes and different areas.
I will keep you posted on any other questions!
How long have you lived there?

Hi Denise,
My husband & I are interested in Las Terrenas as well. Can you expand on your comment" it's not for everyone"? Thanks. Are you from Canada? What is the name & contact information of your real estate agent?
Thanks so much

No area is meant for everyone.  It's quieter, away from many services, limited shopping etc.  We always suggest checking out an area for a few months before buying. Often once you but you are stuck, sometimes for years.

Thanks

Amelia - we aren't living there yet! We're targeting early 2021 for our permanent relocation!

Health - Planner nailed part of it - and she's right that no place is right for everyone! It really just depends on what you are looking for.  Do some research on the different areas of the country, visit the ones that appeal to you, and spend some time there before making a decision.

Planner - is it okay to make referrals on the threads? Realtors/attorneys/etc.? Different sites have different rules!

Hi!  I am from Canada and just ret'd from las terrenas.  Stayed 2 weeks at the Wyndham V.  While there visited many condos with my friend Elio who has lived there for 10 years.  He is originally from Paris & Italy.  Looking to do a rental before buying.  Gary

Good plan Gary!!!

Hi Denise,

Thank you for your opinion and thoughts on Las Terrenas. My family and I (we have two boys ages 9 and 11) will be staying at a Villa in Las Terrenas for two months (July and August). I'm wondering what that will look like for our little family. My husband will be working remotely during the week, and we will be exploring as a family on the weekends. The boys and I will be on our own during the days for the most part. Is it safe for the 3 of us to walk down to the beach and play? Is there grocery shopping close enough? Will we need a car or are there other types of transportation if needed? We are expecting a slower, quieter way of life for a few months. Any thoughts here would be very appreciated.  ~Carrie

welcome to the forums Mama.  You will be fine there, but remember July and August are darn hot and humid.  I hope you will be near the beach and a pool! 

Can't help you with your other questions but I am sure someone will know.

Hi MamaCC,

Las Terrenas is perfectly quiet and safe. Walking up and down the 2 mains streets of the village is something you can do with kids. You can go and spend the day at the beach without being bothered in any way. There are lots of restaurants along the beach, they price 10 to $15 for a standart meal.

If you will need a car is uneasy to say, where is located your Villa ?

Yes, there are some shopping options. There is a nice supermarket Super Pola within 10 minutes walking from the beach (15 if you are slow). There is a grocery at Plaza Taina as long as a French bakery, there are 2 banks at 2 minutes from there. Fruits can be bought everywhere at local shops run by Dominicans. Drugstores nearby.

☞  Super Pola

Quick question....so $10-15 for a standard meal along the beach...is that per person or for a couple?  I'm very interested in Las Terrenas as I prep for my first trip to the DR.  Looking to relax and scout out retirement locations.

ten to fifteen bucks fo a meal is a high price for a casual place. I would expect white tablecloth service & ambience for gourmet dining. I hope that includes wine & dessert & the tip.  But then, I'm used to Cabrera, Cabarete & Sosua  meal prices.  Sure you can spend a lot if you wish to anywhere, but as a general daily meal price, it is high. Just my thoughts & my wallet speaking.  Have a glorious time & smile.

Thank you for that information! It looks like the villa we've rented is on 27 de Febrero (looks like that's the name of the street on the map), not far from Las Terrenas Kite Surf. I think it is a few minutes walk to the beach, if I'm not mistaken. I have also read somewhere that some of the stores will deliver groceries if you buy $50 or more? If we want to explore the surrounding areas on the weekends, is it better to rent a car, or are we able to find transportation easily enough?  Thanks!

@MamaCC

Las Terrenas Kite Surf is at the end Playa Popy, I suppose your villa is located in a perpendicular street that hits 27 de Febrero. You are safe to walk from there westwards heading to the village. Heading east you would be leaving the urban area, avoid it if you are not sure. Always prefer crowded places where you will feel safe.

I never ordered from groceries in LT as I like the little walk to the supermarket. In Santo Domingo colmados deliver from 100RD$ ( +/- 2$) but you need to speak fluent Spanish.

One of the advantages of LT is that everything lies within walking distance. If you want to visit surrounding areas on the weekends I would advise you to rent a car :

- public transport exists, but is a bit adventurous and complicated. It will result in a loss of time.

- the  public transport does not lead to the most beautiful spots of the peninsula as waterfall, secluded beaches ...

If you rent a car, you must be back before the night. The sun sets  at -/+ 7pm, so set off early and get organized  to be back at 5, in case you would have any problem on your way back.

Have fun !

@the thinker40

Yes, my time is glorious, I often smile and still more often since I read your post. You mention in your profile "I m an older curmudgeon at large", I am convinced you told the truth. :D Seriously ! Where on earth can we have a meal "white tablecloth service & ambience for gourmet dining" ... including wine & dessert & the tip for $10 -$15 ? And at seaside Señor .

The price I mentioned is for a balanced meal cooked the European way, with proteins, carbohydrates and vegetables and not full of satured fat or other junk ingredients. On top of that those restaurants are located on the very beach, sometimes with a terrace overlooking the sea or sometimes at a few steps from the water.  You pay for what you get.

If this is too expensive, you can also order a club sandwich ...

On the other hand,  there are better prices to be found up the main street in the village ... but no scenery, no sea breeze, no coconut trees.

It is still possible to have a complete meal for $3 to $4 in Dominican Comedores .

I guess that I am spoiled.  All my time spent on the island has shown me many paths to take. I enjoy the full meals on the beach or a block away for 1/2 half or less. I can accept less than European style service with wine stewards & such.  I had years of those wonderful perks while living in the states. For me now, I prefer a simpler approach to the excellent food in less expensive places.  For tose to whom it is a vital part of daily life I say: Go for it & have all the pleasure you can derive from it.  An empanada on the beach ain't so bad either!  most important thing is to have fun doing it. Welcome & listen to the breeze rustling the palm fronds.

Hello

I m curious to know if you are settled by now in LT?
I was planning to buy a condo in Bavaro to start an air b&b.. but I also liked LT A LOT.
So I am very curious about your story