Looking for a new home.

Hi
I'm James Darling from Oklahoma USA, Looking to find a new home for Sarah and I, I will keep my political views to ourselves, However I wish to move so Sarah and I can be together, It seams that the immigration service is truly lacking , So I feel we need to find a homeland that will accept us as who and what we are. Sarah is from the Philippines, We Lawfully Married August 29 2017,  We are applying for a spousal visa, However this takes over a year, . We then applied for a tourist visa to be together and to return in the required time, The US Embassy denied her visa because we were Married, This is there words. So in order to be with Sarah, I would like to move to a FREE Country, that accepts us as we are
I am a 100% disabled Veteran of the Vietnam war, Retired, and with a modest income , Sarah is a homemaker.,,
I ask for Ideas and input on how to move for my Beautiful Wife Sarah.
I am a computer illiterate, and know little of computers, Fact is, I don't like computers, so I ask for help.

Thank you.
Yours
James Darling

James $ Sarah Darling wrote:

Hi
I'm James Darling from Oklahoma USA, Looking to find a new home for Sarah and I, I will keep my political views to ourselves, However I wish to move so Sarah and I can be together, It seams that the immigration service is truly lacking , So I feel we need to find a homeland that will accept us as who and what we are. Sarah is from the Philippines, We Lawfully Married August 29 2017,  We are applying for a spousal visa, However this takes over a year, . We then applied for a tourist visa to be together and to return in the required time, The US Embassy denied her visa because we were Married, This is there words. So in order to be with Sarah, I would like to move to a FREE Country, that accepts us as we are
I am a 100% disabled Veteran of the Vietnam war, Retired, and with a modest income , Sarah is a homemaker.,,
I ask for Ideas and input on how to move for my Beautiful Wife Sarah.
I am a computer illiterate, and know little of computers, Fact is, I don't like computers, so I ask for help.

Thank you.
Yours
James Darling

Hola James,

Welcome to Expat.com!

First, I totally sympathize with you on the marriage.  I married a Russian years ago and fortunately someone told me before hand the nightmare it could be if I married her and then tried to obtain a visa.  I ended up getting a fiancé visa and although it was quite expensive, it made the process so much easier.

KOLERIAS or anyone that knows:  Do you know if things would be any different under these circumstances?  Would they simply be entering the country as any other married couple even though she'd be coming from the Philippines?  I would think it would be the same as if they were both coming from the States, correct?

And, what is the current income requirement for a Pensionado?

James, I would think that you would be able to relocate here if you have the income requirements.  Wait for a few more posts and you'll have a better idea on your options?

Not a political statement of course, but I can assure you, Costa Rica is a MUCH freer country than what Americans think that they are living in.

- Expat Dave
Expat.com Team Member

They would apply for Residency as a married couple, however the wife being a Filipino citizen would probably receive a 30 day tourist  visa while the husband being a US citizen would be eligible for a 90 day tourist visa. This would of course make it awkward for them. to renew their visas.

Their application will take longer and would take more work to apply so it may be more expensive.

A guide to Government fees if applying either on their  own or when using a lawyer. Costs will vary from one lawyer to another.
For the applicants, make sure to use an experianced lawyer used to working with citizens of a different country.

The required minimum 'guaranteed for life' pension is at this time,$1000 per month.

Sir,
I thank you dearly for you reply, I total agree with you, as you said, (" What WE THINK we live in).
I am 70 now and, Well lets just say I am looking for peace and a home for my new wife and I,  Before Sarah, I was married to Carol for 42 good years She passed in 2013 of breast cancer, Being alone, Your grieve, but your eyes open, and widened if you marry outside the so called FREE Country of America.
You mentioned income, My income as some of you come from the VA, and SSI. I make a little over / under $55,200.00 a year, and Grateful to have that, So you see, I really don't know who to see,  or in reality what to do now, But all I ask to to live in peace with my Sarah.
Thank you so much for your reply.

Yours
James Darling

James $ Sarah Darling wrote:

Sir,
I thank you dearly for you reply, I total agree with you, as you said, (" What WE THINK we live in).
I am 70 now and, Well lets just say I am looking for peace and a home for my new wife and I,  Before Sarah, I was married to Carol for 42 good years She passed in 2013 of breast cancer, Being alone, Your grieve, but your eyes open, and widened if you marry outside the so called FREE Country of America.
You mentioned income, My income as some of you come from the VA, and SSI. I make a little over / under $55,200.00 a year, and Grateful to have that, So you see, I really don't know who to see,  or in reality what to do now, But all I ask to to live in peace with my Sarah.
Thank you so much for your reply.

Yours
James Darling

James,

You could live very comfortably on that here.  You should take a trip down, explore a bit and see if it fits your needs.  If you both flew here you would be able to stay for at least 30 days initially - to get an idea if you'd want to call this home.

- Expat Dave

kohlerias wrote:

They would apply for Residency as a married couple, however the wife being a Filipino citizen would probably receive a 30 day tourist  visa while the husband being a US citizen would be eligible for a 90 day tourist visa. This would of course make it awkward for them. to renew their visas.

Their application will take longer and would take more work to apply so it may be more expensive.

A guide to Government fees if applying either on their  own or when using a lawyer. Costs will vary from one lawyer to another.
For the applicants, make sure to use an experianced lawyer used to working with citizens of a different country.

The required minimum 'guaranteed for life' pension is at this time,$1000 per month.

Kohlerias,

Even she did get just the 30 day visa, would she be able to simply exit the country every 30 days as they apply for residency?  Same as the 90 day perpetuals do?

- Expat Dave

James,

If you do want to get some answers on the feasibility of applying for residency with your unique situation, I can refer you to a San Jose attorney who specializes in unusual residency issues.  He's expensive for CR but cheap compared to U.S. attorneys.  He speaks broken English so you may need someone to help translate if you do not speak espanol.

Let me know if you're interested and I'll send you a private message.

- Expat Dave

Dave !
Thank you again, I am leaving Wednesday for the Philippines to be with Sarah for 28 days, I leave the
3 rd, and return on the 31st of January, Sarah and I will discuss this in more detail and look into Costa Rica, This is not a new Idea for myself or for Sarah, We , To be Honest despise the taste of discrimination when we try to do EVERYTHING according to knowledge and law, WE AR LAW BIDING PEOPLE., They fail to disclose truth and formality. Now we have a visa denied, Meaning we stand little if any chance of having our spousal visa, approved the visa was a simple travel visa so Sarah and I could be together for longer times as we wait for our spousal visa, SIMPLE, I THOUGHT??????
Thank you Dave
Your's
James Darling

Dave !
If you don't mind, I would like to see Sarah first and have her opinion, and Then I will let you know one way or the other.
Thank you Sir for all the help and interest,
I will let you know.

Thank you Again
James Darling

ExpatDave, yes, she should be able to exit  within the 30 days, then return....but I remember reading that if the husband has a 90 day day visa, and he exits/re-enters  with her, it can disrupt his entry/exit timetable. This is where a very good lawyer is important....and not rely on a forum member offering the wrong advice.

They may want to consider applying for Residency as individuals rather than a married couple, if   Sarah has her own funds.  One reason being, that if the spouse 'passes on' before they have gained Permanent residency, then the remaining partner must re-apply. Then, they would have to individual CAJA accounts.

Hi. This is just my opinion. About many immigration attorneys I've heard of from several acquaintances and friends, I'd do the immigration paperwork myself. That's what I did seven years ago; it took us about 3 months to get the residence visa as parents and sibling of a Costa Rica born child. paper. I will be glad to help, no charge, if you decide in CR.

Thank you so much for your offer, We may very well accept your kind offer, But I need to understand whet a residence visa is and would it accept Sarah from the Philippines as I am from the United States, We are Married and Married in the Philippines which seams to be the problem, We strongly desire to be accepted as one, as a Family, I discussed this with Sarah again this morning, and is willing to forgo the US, We just ask to be together and treated fairly, We have done nothing wrong, and try to do as we know, But as it is the immigration service does not believe in morality, and denies because we are Married, and there other excuse we together own property here in Oklahoma, and Sarah has nothing in the Philippines, Thus they denied, believe in granting her a tourist visa, She will not return to the Philippines as we have ( in writing ) agree to there terms and conditions, So Much for Freedom,and trust????????  Sorry, But WE are hurt and very bitter now with America.??  As they say, (" ONLY IN AMERICA")  haha
I am leaving to be with Sarah on the 3 rd. and will return on the 31 st.,
Thank you so very much ,  I will let you know of our thoughts.
Thank's
James Darling

kohlerias wrote:

As to the tourist visas, no one has to leave the country of Costa Rica while applying for residency - EXCEPT to renew their driver's license for the right to legally drive in Costa Rica.
In other words, if they travel only by bus and taxi during this time they would not have to leave the country even once while waiting for residency.

Thank you, Thank you, This is wonderful news, I will talk to my Sarah and I can almost guarantee we will make our next trip very soon to Costa Rica, Also the min, requirements of incomeof $1000.00 p/m are meet. My Guaranteed income is more/less than $4,600.00 through VA. and SSI..
Thank you Again so very much.
truly Your's
James Darling

James, Did you use an attorney or legal group when applying for U.S. residency? I highly recommend that you do if you try again. I also disagree with those who say to try it on your own in Costa Rica, especially if you don't speak Spanish and have not spent a lot of time in Costa Rica. When we used our residency attorney I know they saved us tons of time and effort and frustration. It was kind of like laying a red carpet out for us. And with your income you could afford the attorney so I would highly recommend using an attorney here in Costa Rica if you do decide to become residents here.

I AM NOT AN ATTORNEY AND AM NOT GIVING ANY LEGAL ADVICE. This is just testimonial information that may or may not be valid for you.:

I know someone who brought their fiancee' from another country to the U.S. on a tourist visa. Once she was legally VISITING the U.S. they got married "on the spur of the moment", no big wedding plans, in fact a Vegas marriage was what they did. I believe it is IMPORTANT that it was a spur of the moment idea to get married, in the U.S., not a Plan.

Once married in the U.S., they then applied for residency for her.

This is not a recommended manner of doing it, from what I understand. BUT it used to work, for sure as I have also read of others doing it, on forums. Once married the wife does not have to leave the country of the U.S., once they apply for legal residency. Took them almost 2 years to get permanent U.S. legal residency though.

(Interestingly the cost of U.S. residency was less than I paid for my wife and I to get legal residency here in Costa Rica and here we got it in less than 8 months.)

Note that the  re U.S. residency scenario above may no longer work, this was 15 years ago that they did this. But you may want to talk to a U.S. residency lawyer about this potential option.

One other thing, have you ever lived in Costa Rica? And so are you sure you want to live here? Many return home after a year or two due to not liking various aspects of life here.

By the way, a married couple with $55k a year can live like a King and Queen here! We get by okay on a little over 1/4 of that!  (though we don't pay rent)

SamRamon, sorry but I must politely disagree wih your statement that "... no one has to leave the country of Costa Rica while applying for residency'. Until you have received your 'expediente' meaning a file has been opened for you, and your paperwork has been accepted by immigration, one is required to leave.

kohlerias wrote:

SamRamon, sorry but I must politely disagree wih your statement hat "... no one has to leave the country of Costa Rica while applying for residency'. Until you have received your 'expediente' meaning a file has been opened for you, and your paperwork has been accepted by immigration, one is required to leave.

Hi kohlerias, maybe I am mis-remembering. How long does it take to get that expediente? I recall (perhaps incorrectly?) that we were told fairly soon after turning in our paperwork that we did not have to leave the country unless we were going to renew our license. I remember asking my attorney if we had to leave and he said "no, not unless you need to renew your drivers license".  I did in fact leave because I did need my driver's license but I know at some point fairly early on I was told I didn't have to if I didn't drive.

I found this same info on several web sites but encourage anyone who is applying for residency or going to apply for residency to check with a Costa Rica immigration attorney:
(click herefor the full page)

"Once one has filed a residency application Immigration will issue the applicant a document stating that their residency is in progress. During this wait time that the residency is being processed one is not required to leave the country, but can exit when needed. When leaving or entering the country simply show this stamped official immigration documents.
[emphasis added by me]

Also found this at http://www.crimmigrationexperts.com/ove … for-fines/ 

"The good news is once you apply for residency and your application is filed, you will have a receipt in hand from Costa Rica immigration, allowing you to stay in the country while the application is being processed. Therefore, you will not be required to leave the country every 90 days to renew the visitor visa."

As always, don't believe everything you read online, so I could be wrong Kohlerias but I don't think so since I do recall (I think) my attorney telling us the same fairly early into our application process.

There is no definitive time period. It happens when it happens... :o

, Thank you. It is refreshing to know
However it is so far a wonderful feeling to know WE could stay until a decision had in fact been determined to accept us or not, To answer an earlier question, I was, born and raised here in Oklahoma, My Sarah has NEVER been here, It seams that I can't get her here, Now with a deny of her tourist visa because we are Married, and married in the Philippines, So I ask? what do we do, where do we go? and can we stay together as husband and wife? What does it matter where one or the other comes from, Sorry BUT,
I feel we do out of love and complied with laws as we know, and we are shunned and separated by law we know nothing of, And the immigration service, in the United States Is of NO help !!!!!
Thank you
James darling

Again, Thank you this helps greatly.
Sarah and i will come to Costa Rica in the near further, Sarah has a Philippine passport, as I have a US passport, So  of the discussions, we will decide to when we will come to Costa Rica, It won't be far off, We as I take it could join there in Costa Rica and file for residence, However, I  must return to the US to liquidate our home / holdings and then return there, But again, Sarah is a major factor in this decision,.
Thank you
James Darling

Unfortunately, the decision is not made when the expediente is given to you, but everything is still 'in limbo' for possibly many more months, and sometimes even longer. It has been known to take years.

You really should come visit prior to making this major decision.

Hola James and Sara,my bride,and I went through the same thing your going through.We married in 2004 in Costa Rica,had two beautiful kids,and decided to come to the U.S. and applied for a green card at the U.S. embassy.Three long years it took,and lots of money.The immigration people are rude and nasty,just plain mean.Immigration people(especially U.S.embassy staff)I think really wanted to be cops as a profession in life,but when that didn't work out they craved that job that had some sort of power to it,so they chose immigration for a living.This way they could still f*^%k with you.We got her green card finally and along with our kids have been in the U.S. for about two years.My kids are duel citizens (costa rica and U.S.)so it's even more bizzare that this took so long to get her in.No criminal record or drug experiences at all.After going through some health issues which are now all resolved we are headed back to Costa Rica on January 4th for good.Went through all the residencia stuff before in Costa Rica,it's a hassle but well worth it.After being away for awhile we realized what we were missing,our beach,the weather,our family,and the lifestyle.Costa Rica grows on you.You don't get want when you need it,you get it in Tico time.You will undoubtedly find out what that is not to long after you arrive.Tengan mucha suerte,,Pura Vida...

Yes, The decision to visit is easy And costly., but the decision to stay is of course one that we weigh the pros and cons, It is a life changing decision that will take the both of us to make, Not just one of us. And again, I hope from application to acceptance  to residency is short, and not years, Remember Please, i am 70. We are looking for stability, a home, Acceptance. NOT limbo?.
Thanks again.
James Darling

Thank you, I do believe you are so correct about Immigration, But Look deeper, it isn't only Immigration, but from the President all the way down to anyone today that has any  so called authority, Even a school teacher can tell you how to raise your own child, What a mass this is?????????? I truly feel for my 3 Grandchildren's future..
Maybe you see why so many look for a new home NOW, yes, Even you know the Difference, And Cost ! Sir !  We will be fine, But from July of 2017 to Present, everyone has there hand out, Immigration.   
( LAWYERS ) and so call, Visa cooperation's that aid in getting you help and a visa????. Plus the hotels, Transportation and flights round trip from Oklahoma to Manila Philippians, So far ( THOUSANDS ) have been spent, with no relief in sight, Just more expense. If ever we separate, I pray never, But I blame Greed, Immigration and the lack of moral content in man today, If the system brakes us financially,, Sorry for the expropriation,( But WE, Sarah and I are then TOAST)
Thank you,
James Darling

Costa Rica has lots of problems too, including those who require 'funds from you' when trying to accomplish something .
According to many, 50-60% of those move here, return to their home country within 2-3 years. This may be due to missing family, language difficulties, family problems, finding out that their expectations have not been met...and the list goes on.

This ,  I can understand, However, i am very old fashioned, I give everything first to my Wife, then Family, remember, If it wasn't for love and one's wife, there would be no family, Then family and so on, I do also understand the language difficulty, however there are common Languages , A smile, a Good hand shake, a laugh, a cry.a hug and love. This is common language in which all Know.  My Sarah speaks little English, and some times mixes her Tagalog language with English, But we understand each other very well, All one needs to do is slow down and listen to the Heart, even in ordering dinner, Everything has a purpose, we simply need to listen.  I was in the commercial end of stained Glass, i have work in many Countries, Brazil, Canada, mexico and the Philippines and Russia. and even here in St . Lewis, MO.  Windows for Pope John Paul, So one needs to Listen, and the task is simple, we learn, WE are all Flesh and Blood.
If WE ever leave OUR Country's, WE will return only by death of a family member, A home is not temporary?? But stable, warm and welcoming to all.
Again, Thank you
James Darling

Sir
If you have a pension, costa rica will give you a retired person's residency, and then tour wife can apply on yours. In the mean time you can stay on your tourist visa, leaving every ,3months tonrenew that. I have lived here half my life, helped many to get establihed here. Some documents are required, true, but it can be done. You wull need to learn some spanish, hard to get by without.