Palawan - how about safety and the Internet ?

Hello everybody,
Members,living in Philippines,could you please tell me how about safety on the Palawan island ? Are there a lot of criminals,drugs etc ?
Maybe I am wrong,but I suppose the Internet is not so wide-spread there. Am I write ? Also, I'd like to know are there a lot of white foreigners-expats ?
We are Canadians,are thinking about moving to Palawan island, because will be retired soon.
Thanks a lot.
Vadim & Maya.

Vadim & Maya
It sound like you have never before visited the Philippines.   I am on the side of everyone who writes here and advises anyone thinking of retiring here, to make at least one extended visit , before abandoning  your Canadian residence. 
As in many countries around the world, crime and drugs are throughout the Philippines as well.   However these could be just 2 of the more minor issues you will encounter here, even on Palawan.   
The internet will give you some 'grounding' before you make your first visit here.  So much information available  and happy reading !

Hi I will say the same as Bob, do your research first, before you leave your Country, but there is more to then just asking about Crimes, how about life it self how much do you know about Philippines? when you get here if it is your first time can be life changing, it was for me any way, but like all things we do get use to some things not all but, and as they say life must go on, and we just go along with it.

Its better  you go here for visiting maybe a month before you decided to living here..as per our expat members,try to search the place you wanted for living. .

Hello,
Palawan is the one of the safest place here in the philippines,not totaly zero criminals or zero drug addict, there have maybe on the city in palawan. .but one thing i will tell you,the palawan is nearest neighbor of saba malaysia,many terorist and even local pilipino rebels. .for your safety if you want to live here in our country try to choose places part of luzon like tagaytay if you want a quite place,fresh air and less crowded places. .tagaytay have a nearby place like batangas if you want on the beach you are easy to go there maybe 1hr drive. .tagaytay is one of the small place,there have a lots of police station,check-point and even NBI office are in there..or you try to choose a part of visayas like cebu and boracay or other parts of luzon like baler aurora or subic. .have a lots of foreigner there who have sa small business like beach resort,hotel,restaurant etc.

Hi,
I don't live full time in the Philippines yet. Like you I am checking it out. I like Palawan as a place to visit. But you are at risk of being  kidnapped there more then other parts of the country. On the whole i have talked to at least 50 expats from The states and Canada who have been there at least 15 years and they feel safe as back home. I had a townhouse in Tagaytay for 6 months and It is to me one of the two places I would chose to start a full time residence here. Many very friendly and organized expats from all countries. Best possible climate except for maybe North Luzon. Baguio City should be high on your list to visit. Pine trees like Canada and cooler weather. More remote then a lot of people want and only 3 decent roads in and out and long drives to bigger areas. Large happy expat community. I now lease a resort type condo in Quezon City near to major shopping malls. 2 bedroom for 18K pesos a month. Great amenities. Traffic through Manila is the biggest drawback if you wish to go south to beaches at Batangas. I am currently rehab'ing a small resort om the beach near Batangas for locals coming from the north for weekend getaways. I have lived in Italy and Germany which have completely different cultures. Also in San Jose, Costa Rica and Chaing Mai Thailand. I find the general population of the  Philippines to be the best overall to adjust to even though many differences. Very helpful and always friendly. But be aware that here you will always get a smile even if they hate you. i hope this helps and I will be glad to answer any question I can or my Filipina girlfriend can. Good luck.

Kenward wrote:

Its better  you go here for visiting maybe a month before you decided to living here..as per our expat members,try to search the place you wanted for living. .

Dear guys:Kenward,bob18,samangelevski,Although I appreciate your desire to "help" me,but you did not answer questions:how about criminal and the Internet ? If you don't have answers and don't know situation,why do you give me absolutely unnecessary responses ? You spend your time and my time. My girlfriend is Philippino,she lived in Mindanao. We are going to visit Palawan in summer.But I am not going to tell all my story. I needed to get very simple and exact responses. This situation reminds me Russian anecdote,when in former-USSR there were no enough goods in shops. But the director of a shop said workers,that they should catch customers and offer something else,if there is no designated good in the shop.Dialog:A customer asked:"Do you have toilet tissue ?". A seller:"No.Sorry.But we had sand paper". Clear ? If you don't know situation at Palawan,please don't give stupid advises. Am I rude ? No.

You mentioned safety and the Internet. You won't need the internet if you are dead. Somebody said Palawan is safe. JAG just ask Google and you will see that foreigners have been kidnapped on Palawan.

You are rude YES, but then it goes with your territory as well, you have no idea about USSR, but yet you have mouth for others here, then you say you have GF as Philippine, well how silly are you and her, you have all the answers and yet you asking us here, the Guys have tolled you about here, but you kind of not getting it, like the bold said you won't need any thing if you dead, look up google how simple it is, not tell me who is stupid ?? smart Man will all read know where he is going, what he will do there, and how he will live there, but in all three you have no idea along with your GF, you both are no Good, but we here expected one of you to have some kind of logic.

I have made a trip to Palawan about 2 years ago (Feb. 2016) and there was adequate internet available at the hotel where we stayed, but I am sure if you travel to some outlying corners of the island, it will be just like the rest of the Philippines, and that is very poor to no available internet.   3mbps is considered good internet here in a country with very poor overall internet speeds  (See google).
Safety?   As a foreigner, your personal safety is somewhat up to you when you visit Palawan.  I guess if you leave the island without waking up any morning and finding yourself dead; then you have had a relatively safe visit !

Ask your filipina girl regarding to your question here,why dont you try to use your loptop and start searching. .don't be rude bro!

Kenward,trust me.I know how to work with information. I do it more,than 40 years professionally. I ask same question to different people and get their responses... Before immigration in Canada I explored Halifax-town,Nova Scotia so deeply,that I told history and many things to Nova Scotians,who lived there all their life. :-) They asked me about entertainments in their native town and many other points. This forum is one of numerous sources for me. Then I'll combine mosaic together and see all picture. I just need to get truth and exact information on particular questions from people,who have exact responses. It's simple.But there are too many philosophers here.:-) My girlfriend get information from her Philippino channels too. :-) Anyway thank you.

I'd suggest if your response to people in Palawan when talking to them is the same as you displayed here then you will not be safe. And before you react again, the Philippine people are a proud people who appreciate respect. Which you are obviously lacking so you will have problems with personal safety being a abrupt as you are with people.
Internet, poor.

i kev not sure if Philippines are proud people or not, but I will say more not then yes,
yes you right about they do appreciate respect but then they give non back, maybe it is all where in this country you are, it is very different from province to province, but said that I will add, we are all here for all different reasons, some and I like to believe most because of family ties to Philippines, i am here because of my family, and to add to thins i am not really crazy about this country, if i could i will go back today, but as I said family ties, Wife likes to be here with her family till our child starts school that will be when he is 5 years old now he is 2, hmmm long way for me i like to think i can handle it till then but i have my good days and real bad ones too, I am not good with weather here, gets me bad some times to humid for me, I wish for bit dryer and win will be great thing to have some times, right now we have good days, mostly mornings and late afternoons.
Can people get use to this weather ??? I like to know how other think and how they handle this humid weather ??

Yep,  very poor Internet in a very dangerous place.

This is a recent advisory from the US Embassy...

MANILA - The United States embassy in the Philippines on Tuesday warned that terrorists are planning a kidnapping spree in Palawan province.

In a travel advisory, the embassy advised U.S. citizens to avoid going to Palawan, including Puerto Princesa City and the Puerto Princesa Subterranean River National Park.

"The U.S. Embassy has received credible information that terrorist groups may be planning to conduct kidnapping operations targeting foreign nationals in the areas of Palawan Province, Philippines, to include Puerto Princesa City, and the areas surrounding Puerto Princesa Subterranean River National Park," the statement said.

Sorta makes internet speeds somewhat irrelevant !

How about other nationals, are they excluded from kidnaping or is it only for USA people

One of the duties carried out by  US Embassy's  is trying to protect it's citizens travelling abroad with these advisorys.  If you are a foreign National of another country, it is up to you if you want to heed the advice or assume kidnappers will exclude you due to your nationality.

Huh? Why would other foreigners be excluded? If you think this is a litigimate question I strongly suggest you stay away from places like the Philippines. Terrorists don't discriminate with respect to the type of money extorted by KFR operations. If you need to ask what KFR means I also suggest you stay away from the Philippines.

Yes sir, I not only think you are very very rude, but also ungrateful to the many that answered you. If I was a local in Puerto Princesa, I would be very happy if you stayed where you are, as I would not like so many ungrateful people in my country. having said that, for me at least, your main question of safety  were all answered... its not their fault you do not have the capacity to comprehend the answers. To sum up what they said... Yes, it is reasonably safe but you need to be aware of terrorists who love to get a hold of foreigners like you. As for the internet, it was only 4 days prior you made your post... have patience. I notice you other posts here.... you have an attitude of.... Me me me me ...and how well and wise you are. Most good humble people are not partial to such arrogant behaviour. Sure you know everything and been everywhere, but please... keep it to yourself as we are not interested, unless it is constructive to the cause, instead of boasting. I hope all Canadians are not showing such arrogance. Good luck to you mister.

Truth huirts

Beautifully said sir... amen.

This is an old thread, and full of insults.
Probably better to let it die.

Closed