MMH2 2018

cinnamonape wrote:

ODD that there is no mirror of this for widowers.

Actually not, the impression I got from immigration a widower should return to their home country.  They allow widows because they may have children, (don't know what about a widower with children - guess he's supposed to take them with him) but when I asked the question at immigration regarding my status if my wife passes. His response was "you go home, lah'. That was when I realized the problem with my plan to remain in Malaysia if my wife passes before me.

Yes...I assumed it was the standard "nationality goes with the man" sort of thing. Same thing for years in Indonesia. The kids of an Indonesian man and foreign woman were citizens, but not vice-versa.

But PR status is quite difficult to get for widows and divorcees too,  from what I've read. Many think that they qualify after 10 years but are bandied about the bureaucracy despite the law being clear that they ARE eligible.

If you have assets in a bank in Malaysia and don't mind them being "parked" in a Fixed account the Sarawak system would seem best. Simply find a Sarawakian sponsor, move your assets to a Sarawak bank FD...maybe the same as your other local bank. You'll be single so the requisite would be RM100K (unless you go the "retirement pension" route -then only proof of RM7000/month).

You don't have to demonstrate liquid assets, get a "Good Conduct" document, or even pay a refundable bond.

The weirdest thing is...I don't think you'd even have to actually MOVE. The Sarawak My Second Home Program explicitly says "recipients can live anywhere in Malaysia". You'd likely be able to keep your place, if you wished (I can't see them retroactively imposing the "You can only purchase property at RM1 million or above" on you...that is AFTER ALL for Purchases UNDER the MM2H visa).

I find that there is a lot of Semenjantung propaganda about Sarawak being backward.The people are quite friendly, a nasi-campur of racial mixing with no majority race (if you actually counted Iban would be in the plurality). Because Chinese, Iban and Bidayuh are mainly Christian it's a Malaysian State with a Christian majority. The kids all attend the same schools for the most part, even the Sarawak Malay leadership have close ties to their religious schools (Catholic or Anglican) that they attended.

It's weird to me that people who have lived in Peninsular Malaysia for decades haven't actually visited Sarawak or Sabah...but I guess there are people in KL than have never been to Penang or Malacca.  But Kuching is a pretty riverside city, not far from the beach (some expats live out in Damai...including some on their sailboats). IMO the beaches are much better than up in Batu Ferringghi, and the forest and wildlife vastly superior (caving, kayaking, etc.). Certainly worth a visit for a look-see for potential retirees.

I actually have a brother-in-law living in Kuching and I could live there. I liked the city.

If you do come (obviously we hope circumstances don't lead to that) let me know. Remember that the sponsor must be Sarawakian (or permanent Sarawak resident). In fact, let me know if you and wife come over for a visit. I'm a newcomer to the M2H program though a very common visitor to Malaysia over the last three decades. But as a resident you likely have lots of advice.

Hi Digitarious,
May I know the name of the MM2H agent that you used? My husband and I are looking for a reputable agent in KL. Thanks in advance.

Hi YCL
Its so easy, why waste money using an agent
Everyone in this forum who have their mm2h approval will surely advise you how to proceed

Joy-stay  is trustworthy http://www.joy-stay.com or www.simplyoffshore.com

Hello YCL ,

You may contact me regarding MM2H process . We are experienced and certified Agency to ease your application process and to aid you throughout .

Thank you so much!