Moving and working in Ireland

It seems that Ireland became a great destination if you're looking for a position in your work area.

I heard that life is easier than in London (renting a flat is cheaper) and that there are more jobs. Can comebody confirm that?

Is it that easy to get a job in Ireland? Which cities would you recommend?

How much would it cost to spend a week or two there to see how it is?

Thanks

Julien

I wouldn't exactly look upon Ireland as a goose laying golden eggs.  I've been here for four years, and while there are jobs, the markets are nothing like London.  The rents are acceptable in Dublin (think €1,400 for a new, two bed apartment), but shopping in general is highly expensive.  Even the Irish call it the "Rip Off Republic."  The mark-up on items brought in by UK companies is incredible, to the point that we pay anywhere between 30 - 50% more for the same goods.  Plus, a 20% VAT is added.  Didn't mean to rain on your parade, but just a few things to consider!

Thanks for your input Elishibai, we frankly appreciate comments like yours here!

Do you mean Ireland is not comparable to the UK for jobs and way of life? Which are the main differences?

I recently heard that the employment market is very active (a friend of mine recently moved - I have no news at the moment). Do you think it's true?

I don't have any first hand experience, but having browsed a lot of job listings in both England and Ireland lately it seems like the demand in Ireland is at least as good.  Ireland's favorable corporate tax laws have attracted quite a few businesses to the area and a lot of them (particularly US owned businesses) have their European base in Ireland, employing a lot of people.  I get the impression that if you want to get your foot in the door with a big company at an entry level position then Ireland is as good a place as any to do so.  Whether or not this leads to good jobs later or elsewhere I don't know.

Dublin is up there in the Economist Intelligence Unit's recent cost of living survey.  Apart from rent and maybe transportation it doesn't seem like you'll save much money living there compared to London.  http://www.finfacts.com/costofliving.htm
I don't know much about other Irish cities - maybe Galway (SAP) or Cork (Amazon, Motorola, Apple).

Ireland's favorable corporate tax laws have attracted quite a few businesses to the area and a lot of them (particularly US owned businesses) have their European base in Ireland, employing a lot of people.

That's exactly what I was thinking about. Ireland is very attractive for companies ... but is it really interesting for people?

Dustin, that link is definitely fantastic! We actually even began our own cost of living studies: Cost of living in European cities and Cost of life in the US. By the way, we need more contributions in these topics ... let's see if we can do something ;)

I completely agree with Elishiba. I was living in Ireland before coming to Vancouver and the cost of living is very high. I lived there for 8 years and every year prices kept going up. I love ireland deeply but it's quite impossible to have a decent place to live there, esp. in Dublin, unless you're willing to commute for dozens of kilometers everyday. We'd like to go back to Ireland but we choose Leeds, England instead.

Julien
I spent 2 years in Ireland having moved from central London (I lived near Tower Bridge) so imagined it was going to be cheaper.  It was unbelievable the additional costs of everything we were shocked.  Rental is probably not as high, but if you have to commute into Dublin it is hard work and time demanding.  Comparative costs with London are high and the euro only added to the rip off culture that does pervade Dublin.  There is a lack of customer service and value for money.  Everyone appears to want to make a fast buck and especially if you are a foreigner.  I am able to say this hand on heart as I am part Irish too.   I can't say I would recommend it but if you are young, single and out to gain work experience give it a go, its a small community mind set and its not what you know but who you know, so opportunities may come your way.  Hope this is not too negative, but just a realistic outlook.

Only the rain is free of charge   lol

I don't totally agree with you US3.
Yes the life over there is quite expensive but I can tell you that they are quite nice flat at an Irish standard rent.
The best area in 1-2 years will be the Docklands. At the moment, the Grand Canal D2, the IFSC D1 and the end of Temple Bar close to Christchurch.
Ok, it's at least a 600 or 650€ for a double bedroom

It's a choice to make but it's worth it.
D1 = Dublin 1. Dublin is cut in different district from 1 to 24, 26?

I found the information above quite interesting. I might be moving to Ireland (from Canada) this summer.
Could anyone tell me what level of annual income is considered decent in Dublin?
I am single. I am planning on renting an apartment by myself and I will not have a car.

Thanks for your input.

Hello MoodyBlue,
If you plan to rent a flat by yourself, I guess you might find a flat not too expensive away from the city centre.
Dublin buses are quite good in the early morning but you can't definitively trust them during the day. I would suggest you to share a flat at least with one person, at least just for the beginning.
Take in consideration that I left Dublin 1 year ago... the situation might have changed.
Good luck.

Hi awa@lecce,

Your comments and advice were greatly appreciated. I will also inquire about flat sharing in Dublin.
Any opinion regarding the minimum level of income? I realize each person would have a different answer but it would be interesting to have your own opinion as you know the city.

Thank you,

I have been there only 5 years.
Maybe some dubliners might help you more than me, and tell you what the situation right now.
Good luck

hello
yo voi a escribir en castellano, ya que el ingles todavia no lo entiendo muy bien, y si alguien responde en ingles por favor que lo haga de la manera mas sencilla posible, gracias

voi a ir a vivir 3 meses a irlanda, a traves de la beca leonardo da vinci.  Quisiera saber si alguien a echo lo que yo o a estado por alli, las posibilidades que tienes para visitar cosas y que cosas sujeris para hacer o ver.  Todavia no me han dicho el lugar de irlanda a donde voi a ir, asique se admiten todo tipo de sujerencias y proposiciones.

Mila esker, Thanks you

Hello...I want to know if euro 41.000/ year is good enough to have proper live in Dublin? Decent flat and decent car? No?

Im a born and bred Dublin city girl and i believe that if you think life is a disco, and you want to rent a decent flat-because of transport problems you will need a flat in dublin 2 or dublin 4 or dublin 3 or dublin 6 to be accessible to a decent quality of life,
i believe the outer  suburbs of dublin to be a tough place to live happily if you dont have strong friends or family in the area-strongly advise against it and you will spend alot of time communting...
sori to answer your question
41,000 for
-rent decent flat in dubin 3,dublin 4,dublin 2 ,dublin 6
-drive a decent car say Volkswagen golf-reliable standard car
-eat good quality food
have a life thats a disco at weekends
you could just about manage -difficult tho-
remember a pint is 5 euro
i wouldnt comprimise on location when it comes to where you live in Dublin-i know location location location is so important anywhere, but because of dublins bad transport-it is key in dublin more than other places and you will have a more p roductive life because of it-

I think that actually living in Ireland gives great opportunities, especially to work with American companies. It obviously will take a fluent master of the English language for any other non-English speakers in Europe, but a good examples are many Polish people moving straight to Dublin and getting quite a good life-style over there.
There are also quite more affordable housing opportunities there, from what I know though...

Hi, I have been living in Ireland for one year now and it seems to me that Ireland is great in comparison with my country - France - I mean that people are definitely more confident in their economy & in their future (maybe a bit too much) than we are in France. In ireland, if you lose your job, tha's no problem, you'll find another. I think the employment rate is between 4.5 & 5% which is very good.
Cost of living is higher than 2 years ago & especially in Dublin (property & goods) but salaries are said to be higher as you pay less taxes than in France.
I really advice everyone who wants to get some international experience to come to ireland. You need to have a good english (at least to present yourself during the job interview) to find a job quickly and some experience is definitely a bonus.
2 websites to help new expats: www.TheJob.ie (mainly junior position), and www.daft.ie to find an accomodation quickly : no document required, just an hand shake & you got the flat - thats the way it work in Ireland!
Have fun

arthur8 wrote:

www.daft.ie to find an accomodation quickly : no document required, just an hand shake & you got the flat - thats the way it work in Ireland!
Have fun

Have you really seen this?

Things have changed alot in the last 6 months. I know it's bad all over , but it seems that Ireland is taking a bit hit for the moment anyhow.
There is less work here than last year, but against that if you have a decent job then the costs of rent, fuel , and groceries are dropping. I've also heard that cars are cheaper and you can even bargain on the cost of buying houses- one friend of mine argued €5,000 from the cost of a house which had already been reduced by €100,000 across the board in that estate.
But taxes are rising very quickly - there is now an income levy on all workers , so if you're moving here , you'd better check your salary out very carefully.
Good luck !

Hi i'm pretty new in this forum that i am glad to have found, i recently graduated from a technical school here in the US i am a certified dental assistant and i have a plan to continue my education in the dentistry field, and i have on my mind to move to Ireland how expensive are college in Ireland? could any one help me? because here as you guys know if you want to become a General Dentist it cost a lot of money, so i don't know yet if i want to finish here or if i do have the chance to move over well i will not doubt to follow that step. But i really like to heard from you guys thank you very much!