Grateful for any advice

Hi, my name is Sharon and I am new to the site.  My husband and I have decided to move to Taiwan for a year or so.  Could anyone advise on the following: we have a little girl (6) and need to find her a school.  We are thinking of going to Taichung - what schools are in this area and what type of fees are we looking at?  Also, is it easy to enrol children etc.. (we'll probably arrive in late August).
Also, in to the mix, is a little, old dog whom we couldn't leave behind.  Do flats allow dogs or do you have to rent a house? I know Taiwan probably isn't the best place for dogs as I read there's few vets etc.. If someone has any answers to these, would be really grateful.

Cheers, Sharon

Welcome on Expat-Blog Sharon :)

I hope that other forumers will bring their input to your several queries soon ;)

Best regards

Hi, I'm from Taiwan, but currently living in Norway with my husband. Since your daughter is only 6, so she can study in some kindergarten and there are many kindergartens in Taichung. It won't be difficult at all. You can also find a few bilingual kindergartens, which teach Chinese and English for her.
I don't know where you got the information about there aren't many vets in Taiwan, but it's not right especially in a big city such as Taichung. If your dog is not too noisy, usually it won't be a probablem for other flats. Wish you enjoy your stay in Taichung:)

Hi Yuting, thanks so much for all the 'good' news.  I did some research on the internet and saw a mention that vets were hard to come by in Taiwan.  I'm so glad and so glad that flats allow dogs.  He's very quiet.  Also, with our little girl who was adopted from China, it's good news.  I thought she would have to go to a primary school which is Year 1 to Year 6 in Australia. I'm also glad to hear that the schools are often bi-lingual as this is one of the reasons we have chosen to live in Taiwan. 

Thanks again, it's really appreciated.

Sharon

You are welcome. I have lived in Taichung for almost 20 years. If you need any information about living there, please feel free to contact with me;)

Hi Sharon guest,

What an exciting adventure to embark upon.  I've lived in Taiwan for 16 years and have two children in public school, but they are Taiwan citizens so I am not sure what the details for enrolment are if you are not a citizen.  If you can choose public school, the preschool could be a good option for a Chinese-language environment.  I am really satisfied with my kids' education, and it is very cheap.  (Elementary about $40Aus, Preschool about $500Aus for a half-year, including meals and fullday care.)

The rule for local kids is, if your birthday is before Sept 1st, you go the same academic year you turn six.  If your birthday is after Sept 1st, you wait until the next academic year.  As an expat, your daughter might not have to follow this and you may put her into a kindergarten instead of first grade.

There is a Taichung playgroup that is quite active.  There are also a couple of families that I know of that are raising adopted Taiwanese children.  You can find information about them on my child-related blog "kidzone.blogspot.com"  In addition, you should visit parentpages.net to read up more about schools and family life in Taiwan.

Regarding your dog, first of all, there are many vets in Taiwan.  You might have to visit a couple to find one you like.  Did you check whether your dog will have to go into quarantine once it comes to Taiwan?  Is Australia rabies-free?  Also, will it have to go into quarantine when you go back home?  My dogs went into quarantine for one month, and the trip and the stay was quite traumatic.  It could be something to consider before bringing your dog.  Finally, you can generally keep dogs in apartments, but the final say is with the landlord/landlady.

Let me know if I can help with more information.

Dear Yuting and Keelung

Your information is extremely helpful and it's exciting to actually be in touch with people who know the city/country.  We just decided to 'get up and go' but have so little knowledge about Taiwan or Taichung that everything you have given us is just wonderful.

Re our daughter, Bi Bi:  she is 6 now and therefore will probably have to go to an international school and start Year 1.  She doesn't speak any Mandarin even though she was born in China and adopted at 3 years. My husband, Stuart, has been looking on the internet and it seems that the school that might be best is the American School in Beitun District.  (Is this a good school or are there better/cheaper options as it's quite expensive.) 

We are initially going to learn Mandarin and from what we can see on the internet the Taipei Language Institute which is in the North District appears to be the most flexible.  This helps with getting our daughter off to school in the morning and then making the classes.  Are these good options?

If so, where would be a good place to look for accommodation?  Anything either of you (or anyone else) can advise would be wonderful.

In terms of accommodation (so many questions but we literally know nothing) - what are the best ways to look for it?  Should we get over to Taichung first or organise something before we arrive?  What types of accommodation is there and what are the rents per week or month?

Keelung, my dog is very, very old and a dear old friend who probably will make it to Taiwan and maybe end his days there.  He is a lovely little fellow and probably too old to ask someone here to take.  He should have passed on to another world well before now but keeps on going.  In Australia there are no rabies and actually probably not alot of anything because Australia is paranoid about disease etc.. entering onto it's shores.  You are right, the big issue would be quarantine on the way home.  For now, we are uncertain what we will do but I am sure we will be in Taiwan for at least a year and my little mate will probably be well past anything by then.

Thanks for the parent pages information. This type of thing is very handy.

Again, thanks to you both for offering your very valuable information.  We are so excited to be going to Taiwan and if you have any ideas on the questions re accommodation, school etc.. it would be terrific.  Or anything at all that you think might be important for us to know.  (We plan to work teaching English later in our stay.  I come from a higher education background and my husband is a book publisher who also has an English teaching qualification).

My best regards, Sharon

I was also thinking of moving to Taiwan.  Sharon, How were you able to obtain a visa that allows you to stay in Taiwan for one year?  I didn't think it was possible.

I wish you much success during your stay in Taiwan.

Hi Arnie, we are getting a visa through studying Mandarin and after that time has elapsed we will apply for a residency visa.  There's a name for this and I think the abbreviation is ARC?? I may be quite wrong (does someone know?) but as I understand it once you obtain the residency visa you can stay as long as you like.

My husband is doing this part of our investigation.  Studying is reasonable in terms of cost and also will be a good help as we will have some rudimentary language. 

We're getting lots of good information off this site and also through the internet in general.  Once we're totally sure of the above, I'll let you know.

Cheers, Sharon

we are getting a visa through studying Mandarin and after that time has elapsed we will apply for a residency visa.  There's a name for this and I think the abbreviation is ARC?? I may be quite wrong (does someone know?) but as I understand it once you obtain the residency visa you can stay as long as you like.

It doesn't work quite like that. You have to have a reason for getting and keeping your ARC: through study, through work, through marriage.  If you get your visa through a school, you have to keep studying or you lose your residency status, unless you get a job and your company can get you a work permit.  So, for your study visa, you will only have it as long as you are enrolled in a school that is registered as able to issue them, and your accompanying residency certificate is tied to that visa.

Another useful forum for you is forumosa.com.  Read up the information in the "studying Chinese" and "Legal" forums.  You will be able to learn a lot about the process and requirements.  If you look in "pets and animals", there are many stories and lots of info on bringing dogs in and out of Taiwan.

I'm not too familiar with Taichung.  I do know it has a large number of nice bilingual, private preschools with open spaces and play areas.   The weather there is better than Taipei, too.  If I was coming to Taiwan again, I might choose Tainan, as it is very pretty and quieter, and has a lot of history to it.  It's supposed to be a good place to study, too.  But, I know many expats enjoy Taichung, too.

Hi 'Asia Baby' - thanks for all of this.  I should have mentioned that we intended to work after studying but it's good to know that the visa has to be linked.  Also, thanks for the websites which will be really useful.  I have come across forumosa but haven't looked on it.  I definitely will now.  One of the reasons we chose Taichung was for the weather as well as being a bit smaller than Taipei.  You have got me interested though in Tainan (perhaps somewhere to go after Taicung). 

One thing, I'm not sure if you or anyone else can advise but we don't have much idea about accommodation and it's hard to find information over the net.  Is it easy to rent and do you know what sort of price per month or week the types of places you can rent cost.  Also, what would you consider one of the better places to look in Taichung.  We have lots of accommodation in Sydney but there are some horrible areas which you would want to avoid so I guess that's what I'm wondering in terms of Taichung.

Again, thanks for everything.  You have know idea how much it helps to have people who know and can help.

Cheers, Sharon

Hey Sharon.  My husband and I are living in Taichung, originally from America.  ARC's are only good for a certain amount of time.  We are international teachers and our ARCs are good for as long as our teaching contract, then we have to renew then proving we are still working here.

Hi Aeosullivan

Thanks for the info re ARC.  Good to hear you are from Taichung as you might have some idea about accommodation/rents etc..  We are not finding it that easy to get a clear picture over the internet i.e. cost of accommodation/best places to live in Taichung.  If you have any idea about this, I'd love to hear it.  Also, are places furnished or unfurnished and are apartments the best type of accommodation to look at?  (We plan to study for a few months to orientate ourselves so will go to one of the universities or language schools and our daughter will most likely go to the American School in Beitun District.)

Cheers, Sharon

Hi Sharon: I can help you to find out suitable accommodation for you in Taichung, but firstly you have let me know how many members with you in that house or apartment and your plan (the location working or studing and your daughter), so I can find a suitable accomodation for you.

best wishs, Albert

Hi Albert, sorry - I haven't been paying attenting to the site and have only just seen your email.  We have had a change of plan and are now going to Kaohsiung but thanks so much for the offer of help.  Shame as we could have done with some help re accommodation.  All the best, Sharon