Good places to walk your dog?

Hi all,

I normally walk my dog along Mont Choisy beach or at Paradise Cove (I think it's called) but Sundays the beaches can be pretty crowded and would love to get some suggestions to good places to walk your dog in Mauritius? Any dog parks or something like it?

Thanks,
Jane

Hi Jane!

Where are you living actually?
There are no dog parks to my knowledge but maybe other members will be able to give you some suggestions according to where you live exactly ;)

Armand

Hi Armand,

I live just outside Pereybere so places in the north would be great! But I have to get the dog in the car to go for a walk anyways so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)

Jane

Then I'm sure members living in that area must have some good place to recommend ;)
What breed is it by the way?

Armand

It would be great if they do!
She is a local Mauritian dog we adopted from PAWS :)

Try Pointe aux Piments Public beach...the grassed area as you approach the village on the coastal road from the North.

Avoid the public beaches!

If you are around Pointe aux Cannoniers, go to the small beach/football pitch not far from the police station and follow the coast to the left. You can walk as far as the Cannoniers hotel, then either come back along the road, which is pretty quiet or turn back around.

From Paradise Cove you can follow the beach path to the right and go a long way round the coast. You have to go through one hotel, but we never had any problems with taking our dogs.

Or at Cap Malhereux public beach, park at the far end and follow the coastal path to the right. You can walk as far as the cemetery along the beach.

There are also lots of nice walks inland through the fields around Grand Bay/Pte aux Cannoniers/Cap Malhereux, but I don't advise this alone.

If you want to go farther afield, buy the new book which has directions for walks up the hills/mountains of Mauritius. I forget the name but its green and available in most books shops now - but it is in french!

Thanks for the suggestions guys! I'll try out all of them :)

@Markdc - yeah, we were actually talking about getting that book, and hopefully learn some French in the process hehe...

hi, calodyne area after anse la raie (marina), when you drive downhill after the supermarket then after around 200m to your left there will be a sandy/rocky road leading to the barachois where there are also some nice spots to walk. c u, dietmar

Thanks Dietmar :)