ELT advice needed

Hi all

I'm new to Ho Chi Minh, having arrived here after completing a charity bicycle ride from London to China.

I'm hoping to stay here long term and think my best option, particularly in the short term (while I try to learn Vietnamese) is teaching English. However, I dont yet have a formal teaching qualification.

I'm trying to decide between investing a lot of money in a CELTA/TESOL qualification and a far cheaper but lesser-regarded online course.

Can anyone help? Will schools here accept the online version?

Thanks in advance.

Peter

Hi and welcome on the forum Peter :)

I hope other members will show up with some useful advices soon ;)

Regards
Armand

Hey Peter, welcome :-)

If you have a degree then the schools will accept anything :-) Without it well lets say the better schools wont touch you and the others as long as you get knocking on enough doors you should be able to find work.

PS, congrats on the novel method on getting here :-)

actually, you can try studying ELT at Ho Chi Minh University of Education. They offer short courses I think. Or, you can do the online courses as you want. Without proper education, it's hard to get into good language centers.

I love hearing that anyone is learning Vietnamese :x

Thanks for the good advice, laidbackfreak. I'm very relieved: 8 months on the bike has almost ruined me and I'm loath to spend big before I start.

I've got a degree so I'll head to Ho Chi Minh University and see what they've got on offer.

Girl_like_me: Stay tuned for incredibly bad Vietnamese posts soon :)

Well, spending time for studying vietnamese in school is not enough for you actually, you should accompany with some local friends to have further skillfull speaking... lol

@Peter: hihi, try some with me. I'm eager. I feel excited when anyone tries to learn Vietnamese (I'm doing my degree in applied linguistics so I'm much interested with these things)

girl_like_me wrote:

@Peter: hihi, try some with me. I'm eager. I feel excited when anyone tries to learn Vietnamese (I'm doing my degree in applied linguistics so I'm much interested with these things)

Hi, I have always been curious, why do you take a degree course for linguistics subject? No other reason, just curious :thanks:

laidbackfreak wrote:

Hey Peter, welcome :-)

If you have a degree then the schools will accept anything :-) Without it well lets say the better schools wont touch you and the others as long as you get knocking on enough doors you should be able to find work.

PS, congrats on the novel method on getting here :-)

Hi LBF, do you know like how is the remuneration package for being a teacher? Seems there are plenty here in Vietnam. :top:

@Peter: I need to improve my knowledge in this field. I was teaching English in a highschool. Now I want to work in a university so I need more qualifications, :D

@Henry: for what teacher? hihi. If it's for Vietnamese teacher working in a public school like me, the salary and other payment are quite low, around 4 million dong/ month. Working in a language center earns you much more than that, around 10-15$/hour, depending on your certificate.

girl_like_me wrote:

@Henry: for what teacher? hihi. If it's for Vietnamese teacher working in a public school like me, the salary and other payment are quite low, around 4 million dong/ month. Working in a language center earns you much more than that, around 10-15$/hour, depending on your certificate.

Hi Mandy, it seems going private is the way :) No wonder many foreigners flocking to Vietnam for teaching. By the way, who will usually do the assessment for those potential candidates?

Have you been teaching here before? Usually, you need to send your CV directly to the centers and wait for the interview. The people who will assess your teaching are usually Vietnamese people who work as the administrator there. I'm not really sure, you can try and find out yourself. I'm teaching at a high school and also at a language center which belongs to the University of Education. When I was a university student, I worked for Appolo - it's quite famous in Vietnam- and I quit the job because they paid  me too low in comparison to the foreign teachers. :D

girl_like_me wrote:

Have you been teaching here before? Usually, you need to send your CV directly to the centers and wait for the interview. The people who will assess your teaching are usually Vietnamese people who work as the administrator there. I'm not really sure, you can try and find out yourself. I'm teaching at a high school and also at a language center which belongs to the University of Education. When I was a university student, I worked for Appolo - it's quite famous in Vietnam- and I quit the job because they paid  me too low in comparison to the foreign teachers. :D

Good move for you. Always look for a greener pasture when opportunities arrived.

I have not been teaching in my career, but figure I might be able to teach business related subjects, such as decision support statistics tools, strategic management related subjects. But probably for evening class (weekdays only), as I m having day time job :). Can they accept? I just like to gain some teaching experience and share with them on managing a business or applying some business models in their existing business or company. I can live with a bowl of Vietnamese noodle for a fee :-P.

Let me know if there is such am institution that I can write to. Thanks.