Entering Colombia with a Pitbull

We want to travel to Colombia from Ecuador. However I have read you cannot bring a pitbull into Colombia. It said the same thing about Ecuador but we had no problems here. How is it in Colombia. I this law inforced, has anyone brought their pet pit into colombia. Please help

Pit bull terriers and cross-breeds with pit bulls are not permitted into Colombia.

source: pettravel.com

I have read that  in several places but it also said this about Ecuador and we have came in on plane and hes been here two years. Also I see there are a ton of pits for sale in colombia. My colombian friends who live here in Ecuador say it's no problem. I am really hoping for someone who has had experience with this.

Just to clarify, you cannot import a pit bull into Colombia.  See this reply here:

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 21#3996653

Thank you, Brother Archer, for seeking to restore order.

Multiple posts on this thread did not meet the bar for Christmas spirit and goodwill toward mankind.

In other words, they exhibited the worst abuse and violation of site rules I have seen all year.  Now the Home Office will have to sort out the wreckage.

Please do not post on this thread unless you have something that educates us concerning the prohibition against bringing pit bulls into Colombia.

cccmedia

Hi everyone,

Please note that some posts have been removed from this thread.

Personal attacks are not allowed here, i invite you all to have a look at the forum code of conduct.

Thanks,

Priscilla
Expat.com team  :cheers:

cccmedia wrote:

Thank you, Brother Archer, for seeking to restore order.

Multiple posts on this thread did not meet the bar for Christmas spirit and goodwill toward mankind.

Dear Priscilla,

Many thanks to you and Bhavna .. and Season's Greetings from the South America forums.

Solving today's problem on this thread is just one example of how y'all have been doing a great job of keeping the Expat.com forums on track and civilized and with new topics to discuss throughout the year .. and supporting the experts team.  :top:

This holiday time is an appropriate moment to acknowledge you and the moderators team  :up:  and to wish you a happy new year. :thanks:

cccmedia from near the Colombia-Ecuador border in northern South America

@ CCCmedia >  :heart:  You are the most welcome. Your comment is very much appreciated.  :happy:

Thank you for your warm wishes and for helping us in our daily tasks as well, without the experts nothing would have been possible. Its together that we are achieving success.  :one

On behalf of the moderation team, we wish you a happy new year as well.  :up:

All the best,

Priscilla

P.S sorry for the off topic  :dumbom:

I apologize to all. A family experience with the subject matter set me off.

Hi,

I know it has been a while but did you manage to bring your dog in Colombia ? What was your experience ? Any advice ?

Thank you,
Regards,
Alex

The OP hasn't posted on this site since 2017, so it's anyone's guess if that dog made it to South America.

---

I researched several sites that follow dog breeds, especially in the U.S.

The research for recent years indicates that pit bulls were responsible for most of the dog-caused deaths of humans in every year.

(Some pit bulls live out their lives without ever attacking a person.)

One site that tracks country-by-country regulations, in a post dated December 2020, said that pit bull terriers and American pit bull terriers were still being denied entry into Colombia.

---

Importing potentially vicious dogs into Colombia during a pandemic -- what could possibly go wrong?

cccmedia

Moderated by Priscilla 3 years ago
Reason : offensive
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct
hpelom wrote:

I appreciate your defense of the breed but there's no need to attack someone who is merely presenting the laws of a country and facts about a type of dog.  Regardless of your feelings, regardless of whether a particular pit bull is friendly or not, Colombia prohibits the entry of the breed, as well as others.

Colombia's ley 746 de 2002 prohibits the importation of Pit Bulls along with 12 other types of dogs:

https://fontibon360.com/mascotas/2019/0 … eligrosas/

SunsetSteve wrote:

I apologize to all. A family experience with the subject matter set me off.

Thank you, Brother Archer and Priscilla :top: for again coming to rescue this thread.

---

For an uplifting thread about our favoritos caninos :) ..
go to Expat.com's Expat Café via the link below and then click on the thread titled:

DOG is GOD spelled backwards

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewforum.php?id=58