Introduction

I come from Nigeria l work  as an house maid in Oman d work is very strong l want to go back to Nigeria

Hi Ogberah awele,

I am sad to see your post.

The sadder truth is there are many more like you, from your same country, who are sailing in the same boat as you.

Let me tell you that exiting would not be easy. Your agent and your sponsor both would not let go of you so easily. But that does not mean, you have to take all that is being thrown at you silently. If push comes to shove, go straight to the ROP and complain about your working conditions to them in detail. You can also complain to the Ministry of Manpower.

As an expat employee, you do have certain rights and privileges - like a certain number of working hours every day, daily rest time, a weekly off day, etc. Never compromise on those. It is your right as you have earned it and you deserve to use it.

Also, let your sponsor / employer know that you are aware of the Labour Laws and that you would not hesitate to report him in case they harass you too much. If the sponsor / employer is aware that you are cannot be bullied into being a 'slave', they will also play safe. If you report them, they know they will get into trouble.

Stay bold. Stay strong.

Pls l want to no my right as an house maid my time of rest time of sleep time of holiday to Nigeria d can of work l will do as a house maid because here d work we do as a house maid is to much wash cars,wash d compound look d children cook iron clean d house every day an we are not eat good food l really want to go back to Nigeria

Hi Ogberah awele,

I notice that most locals who hire the services of a domestic foreign help abuse them heartlessly like you are being abused. It is such a sad truth of life.

First, read the Manpower Laws. At least you will know what your rights are. You can access the same here http://www.directory-oman.com/labourlaw.htm

Also, do a google search for 'oman labour law 2017 pdf' and you can download the same which you can read whenever you get the time.

Please do not suffer in silence. You must report your domestic abuse to the Ministry of Manpower and to the ROP. Else, this abuse will only continue.

Look for some others from your country who are here, who have faced the same issues as you. Connect with them and they will guide you better.

Take care and good luck to you, Ogberah awele.