Being pregnant

I recently found out I am pregnant.  I would like to stay in the country but understand I will not be able to give birth here if not married.  The father is local and if we apply for permission to get married it might take many years.  People say that if I go to the doctor to do blood tests and an ultrasound they will report me and deport me.  Please advise.  Thank you

Hi Nkem85,

Unwed pregnancies are unwelcome in the Sultanate.

For your routine check-ups, no detailed registration particulars would be demanded. But for delivery, yes, the details of both the parents would have to be furnished - resident card and passport bearing your visa details, and the national Id card of your partner (in your case).

After delivery, registration of the baby cannot be done unless both the parents are registered residents of the country.

Pregnancy out of wedlock is complicated. Consider making an early exit.

The father is local and if we apply for permission to get married it might take many years.

Don't wait for the local to do something for you because he may not.  Before he vanishes, it is advised to exit the country otherwise this is considered to be an offence that comes under adultery.