New in Hanoi

I just moved to Hanoi with my family due to my husband's job. This is my first time living in Hanoi, I'm still learning about the culture over here. 1 challenge we are facing is communication. Most of the locals can't speak or understand English. I wish that I can meet some local or expat that can speak English and Vietnamese so that I can learn the language and culture at the same time. :)

I'm originally from Malaysia. I can speak Cantonese, Mandarin and Malay as well. I don't mind to make more friends that speak the same language.

I'm staying at Times City. We can meet up for coffee or tea ;)

Hi and welcome to the forum.

It does take a little bit of time to 'break the ice' in Hanoi, especially when it comes to communication with locals.
That said, there's a growing community of expats, both Western and Asian, living and working in Hanoi. Most of them have integrated well with the locals.
It just takes time, bit of patience and lots of flexibility. Definitely helps if you can say a few words/phrases in Vietnamese.
To get started, join the group "Hanoi Massive - a new era" on FB. You can connect with over 40k Hanoi expats and locals there.

Welcome to Vietnam!
:cheers:

Thanks for the info

Hey there. If you are new to Hanoi Vietnam then there are a lot of thing you have to get used to. You might not know where to go and what to do in Hanoi. This article about 47 hanoifreelocaltours.com/things-to-do-in-hanoi/ can be helpful