Relocating to Amsterdam - Pros and Cons

Hi,

Hope all is well and hope this posting receives the best responses.

I am planning to relocate to Amsterdam and have the following queries (at least the things that come to my mind):

1. Job Opportunities - I am into the sales and consulting of IT products and professional services. Currently am in Bahrain in the Middle East. How is the job market and what options would enable me to land a good paying job? (manager and above profiles)

2. Cost of Living: Sequel to the question above, how much is ideal to live comfortably in Amsterdam? Which places/cities/part of cities would you recommend? Also the cost of basic utilities + timely extravagance (minus the alcohol and smokes though). How much would a family of two need to live comfortably and without mortgage?

3. Insurance: What are the insurance options employers provide? How expensive is a visit to the doctor? and what type of comprehensive plans do we expect?

4. Housing: I guess my question in point 2 should cover the housing and costing appropriately.

5. Children: Would children born in Amsterdam have a citizenship? 

6. Education: The quality of education and costing.

From some research, I understand Amsterdam is an ideal place to start a life and family down the road. However, the ground realities are best understood before the endeavor. I request your valuable contribution (the questions above and things I may have missed and is important).

Thanks in advance.

Welcome on Expat-Blog adonisdip ;)

I hope that other forumers will bring their contribution to your several queries soon.

Regards

1.    I''m not aware of the job opportunities in the IT sector, but before your thinking of coming here you should already have a job in the Netherlands. Then it's much easier to get a working permit and other stuff.
2.     Amsterdam is not a very big city in terms of square miles so it's okay to work in the centre of the city but live in outskirts of Amsterdam or even outside of the city. Some parts of the city are worse than others but in general it won't make a very big difference. If you have manager  function (or lower) there won't be  any financial difficulties what so ever (besides the rent/mortgage).
3.    The Netherlands have social insurance. Which basically means that you pay a monthly fee ( 1 person, est. 100 euro's) and it will cover your health (dentist) expenses. Sometimes there is a own risk in which you have pay all the expenses  under €100, the insurance company pays over €100.       
5.    I think there is a possibility on a dual citizenship but I'm not entirely sure
6.    It depends if your kids go to a Dutch or a international school. The quality is normal to the western European standard I guess. Cost are again (big)part government, part for yourself. Again not entirely sure how it works with foreigners.
When you live in the Netherlands is that you pay a hell of a lot taxes but you get a hell of a lot in return