Please advise a Good French Language teacher in Black River - Tamarin

or not far from this place... Thanks!

I might know someone, I'll ask her!

Hi Zoubia!

Will be Grate if you do... Buy the way, if someone know, what is the average price for one private lesson (1 hour)..?

We'd be keen too. Same area.

I give private lessons and have been advised to charge the following:
Primary schoolkids: 300 rs.
12 year old: 350 rs for general help
15 year old: 500 rs for English lessons
Adult learners: 700 rs for French conversation lessons.

Zoubia wrote:

Are you referring to charges per class? if not could you specify please?

Hi Zoubia, JJK and Musheer!

Good news and Good Idea! May be we cooperate and make a small beginners group and will start to learn French, for example once or twice a week in suitable for everybody time!?

Waiting your comments...

musheer wrote:
Zoubia wrote:

Are you referring to charges per class? if not could you specify please?

Zoubia said "private lesson" which IMHO is one-on-one .

Hi External!

I understood this, but I just trying to ask Zoubia that may be she don't mind to have a small class (2-3 person) and we share this price between us...

Or may be in this case she will increase the price a little!

As I know the progress of education is very good if you are working in a small group and trying to speak on a new language from your first lesson...

Hope we will find the way to study:))

Hi ALex,

I agree. I had tried working in a small group last year, and it kinda did work . Unfortunately I was not regular and dint really get to work on my Francaise ;)

I am in for a group of 4 to 5.

Although, I would say that the advice Zoubia has been given for charging for lessons is pretty high! (Zoubia ,no offense)

The norm seems to be between 200 to 400, depending on group or individual!!

Cheers,
Musheer

Thanks again for your efforts here Alex. As for a group class though, timings might be difficult for us so I wouldn't want to commit and then let class-mates down. Was thinking more of private ad-hoc lessons. And I agree with you Musheer, 200-400 would seem more reasonable.

Cheers,
Jon

Any of you tried contacting someone from the French forum regarding same??

Hi Everyone
I know a very good French teacher who iv been learning with for sometime now and she helped me to speak French so well plus its a one on one lesson or group if you prefer. She charges an average price of Rs.250 an hour which is the normal rate in Mauritius!!
In saying all this she is an excellent teacher who is very patient and who takes the time to explain if you don't understand something or have any doubts.
If you want to contact her please tell me or send me a private msg so i can give you her number.

Hi Sacha,

Thank you! Sounds good - I sending to you PM already...

Alexey

Alexey, Have you started taking French classes yet?  I am very much interested in taking class.  I sent Sacha a PM.  Hopefully she will get back to me soon.

Truong

Had forgotten about this topic...

Well, as I said the rates I've given have been advised by other teachers, and actually none of my pupils has complained about them... BUT I have a Master's degree in literature from Warwick (and another from the Sorbonne and a teaching degree) uni and have been tutoring for many years. So sure, I'm probably not the cheapest tutor on the market. But I also put a lot of effort (not to mention money and time) in my education, and I already teach all day long, so tutoring has to be worth the effort, because it DOES require some work on the part of the teacher!

I've already tried myself to take Hindi and Spanish lessons from native speakers. They had absolutely no idea how their language worked and could not answer technical questions or give me exercises to do, I found it very frustrating. It all depends on what you want to do, why and how!

As for group lessons, I think it's fair to ask for a little more than a single person rate (eg 1000 rs instead of 700 rs), but shared between just two people it's a good deal for both teacher and tutees. But I've never had the opportunity to do it.

I agree with Zoubia - Speaking and writing a language and TEACHING that language is not the same!

Hello,
I'm belgian and speaking French, I would be living in Black River in a couple of weeks for a year... So if anyone interested I can teach some French, and I would love to practice my English in exchange...

Bonjour Celine ... Where in Black River will you be?  I am in Tamarin.  Contact me when you are in country: [email protected]

Zoubia , what is your pricing structure for an adult?  I have basic French probably level 0.  I've been learning on my own using Rosetta Stone I think I need a teacher.

Truong

Also interested in a French teacher in the Flic-en-Flac/Black River area, did anything happen with the people on this thread?

J.

Hi, I'm sorry but I live in St Pierre and I don't own a car, so it's impossible for me to teach where you guys live.

I do realise that what I've been advised to charge is pretty high, but seriously, there was this hindi teacher who was asking for 350 rs... per month. Well I think it's ridiculous, knowledge is something precious, Mauritius or not, I don't find it decent to benefit from other people's years of work for nothing. Especially if one considers that you pay for a lesson, but there is also some preparation behind it and some tedious commuting...

Let's get real, even 500 rs a lesson is a lot less than any lesson in Europe (to get an idea, when I was a full-time tutor in France, I charged 20 euros/800 rs per hour, and I had lots of demand because that was a good bargain, most tutors were around 25 euros/1000 rs), as far as foreigners are concerned, it's already a very good deal...

(moderated: no free ads please)

Hello,

So, all those wanting to learn french, Did you get your french teachers? :-)

hi Flo. nope. i am still looking. do u know of someone near tamarin?

Nope. But have you think of some online French tutor through skype? Tell me, do you want to speak french or want to know the language completely, writing correctly...?

never thought abt online. that is a good idea. i would like to SPEAK it. what are you thinking?

Céline-Flo wrote:

Hello,
I'm belgian and speaking French, I would be living in Black River in a couple of weeks for a year... So if anyone interested I can teach some French, and I would love to practice my English in exchange...

Hi Celine-Flo
I've just seen your posting. Although your posting is several months old, I am hoping that you still take a look at this site from time to time.

I'm British and I live in Tamarin. I'm very interested in your suggestion. If you see this posting, please send me a private message.

I can speak and write some French, which is more than my husband is able to do.:)

Hi,

Céline-Flo, can you send mea message with your contact number pls. I am also interested in learning french.

Bye

Well, i am actually a part-time French tutor on skype. I'm thinking of doing some freelance one day.

That sounds really cool Flo.

If I want to learn how to speak French it would make sense to "speak" it more often, and Skype is the perfect medium.

If you decide to freelance I would love to have you as my teacher.

---------------------------------------------
Marazul & Kirinyaga

I live in Tamarin.  I am also interested in learning French.  Maybe the three of us can get together and hire a teacher.  Please get in touch with me at [email protected].  I live on the main road right accross from the Salt Pan.

Also still interested, I am based in Flic en Flac but I have transport. Happy to join in a group.

J.

Hi Jaden and trnguy2

I could do the lessons at any time but I am guessing that you are both looking for someone to teach the group in the evenings.

Do you have any evenings that you can't make? I think we need this information first before we try to find someone. I will ask around and see if I can get the name of someone. I'll in-box you sometime during the next few days and we can make a plan.

We will see if Marazul joins in this thread.

Hi...
i am available all day on Fri, Sat. and Sun.  The other days I am available after 4:30pm.

Alexey Batarshin wrote:

or not far from this place... Thanks!

Hi,
My husband started lessons a few weeks ago with a qualified French Teacher near cascavelle - at Cascavelle village which is just past Cascavelle and towards Casela so handy for Black River/Tamarin residents, and he said she is great.

We had to wait for a space to come up, but as people finish the courses all the time - obviously spaces will come up.

her name and email is: [email protected]
and her rates are very reasonable and she also does a trial lesson.

Hope this has helped :)

if you want i can teach you arabic  lol

arabman wrote:

if you want i can teach you arabic  lol

Wish you lived in Dubai - my son lives there and is learning Arabic very slowly :)

hey,
arab man: i would like to learn arabic..message me..

I'm fluent in English & french.
I give a couple french lessons too :) & thats free for them!! i'm in the centre, ...have a car, can travel....i'm not a teacher, but i do help a little from time to time...if you need a little help, please let me know, we can sort out...happy living in mauritius!!

Islander

Am available after 430pm Mon, Wed and Fri. May have another person interested too.

J.

Hi all,
I'm French, lived in the UK for 6 years, and I'm living in Mauritius since Jan 12. I'm not a teacher but I can offer friendly conversations. Looking to make new acquaintances myself.
No fee requested.

Hi

Islander 77, Rosiewestie,and Rosemin thanks for posting.

Trnguye2 and Jaden, I have sent you a message.

Rosemin, do you live in Tamarin?

:)