South Mexico

I am looking into staying in the south of Mexico for awhile, does anyone know a good place, I have been told San Cristobol and Comitan are nice and maybe on the coast in Tapachula. any help is appreciated. I am alone and looking into living under $1300 per month.

Kendoit wrote:

I am looking into staying in the south of Mexico for awhile, does anyone know a good place, I have been told San Cristobol and Comitan are nice and maybe on the coast in Tapachula. any help is appreciated. I am alone and looking into living under $1300 per month.

Hi Kendoit,

Interesting places to visit, but I would not choose to live there. It's a safe area but a fairly wet area which means more humidity and mosquitoes to me. It's also closer to Guatemala and its political issues than I would like. If you are interested in that state I would suggest Villahermosa about 10 hours east of there.

I spend my time in states more south and east of there like the yucatan, Campeche and quintana Roo. The closest I get to Guatemala is an occasional trip to Belize.

What sort of place are you looking for ? Are you Spanish fluent ?  If you go to those places it would be a good idea to speak Spanish well. Of course speaking Spanish is always a good idea. Yet some cities and states are more tolerant of the non spanish speakers than others.

travellight wrote:
Kendoit wrote:

Hi Kendoit,

Interesting places to visit, but I would not choose to live there. It's a safe area but a fairly wet area which means more humidity and mosquitoes to me. It's also closer to Guatemala and its political issues than I would like. If you are interested in that state I would suggest Villahermosa about 10 hours east of there.

I spend my time in states more south and east of there like the yucatan, Campeche and quintana Roo. The closest I get to Guatemala is an occasional trip to Belize.

What sort of place are you looking for ? Are you Spanish fluent ?  If you go to those places it would be a good idea to speak Spanish well. Of course speaking Spanish is always a good idea. Yet some cities and states are more tolerant of the non spanish speakers than others.

Hi,  travellight,
I always appreciate your insights,  even into areas I'm not currently focusing on. You help me to get a picture of Mexico. Thank you!

Also,  happy holidays :)

Well, thank you Jan and have a wonderful holiday yourself.  Always happy to share where I have been and what I have seen.
My bilingual native friend used to travel a lot also, so he knows lots of hidden jewels and short cuts. Even so I have shown him a couple he missed. Ja Ja Ja as they would say here. :whistle: