Getting FBI background check from Brazil or a neighboring country

Does anyone have experience getting their FBI background check while abroad?

noelstr8,

For a background check you might need the form DOJ FD-258 (fingerprint card) to be mailed to the Department of Justice in your state.

It´s a pain in the... you know where, to have that sent here and then have the fingerprinting done at the local PF and then sent again to your local DOJ in your home state. Then you have to go to the country you want to apply at (I´m assuming Argentina) and pay the Argentinian Peso which is $3.220 (183USD) before going to the Brazilian Consulate in that same country to apply for a student visa!

How about the waiting period? How long would that take? Do you have the funds?

Wouldn´t it be better to just go home and process in the States?

robal

It would be really nice to just go home, but the cost of tickets right now  are really high. Even with a few days to a week waiting period in Argentina and the paperwork hassle, I'll still save a lot by not flying all the way home. Thanks for the info. I'm trying to make the decision soon.

Ok, I just received the FD258 card via email. Where do I go to get the prints done in Brazil? The federal police?

Yes, just walk in to a local Policia Federal´s office to get the prints of all your fingers. You can send the prints direct to your home state´s Department of Justice or ask a relative to do it for you if there´s enough time. You should indicate your US address where a relative can receive the certificate. Specify that there should be a seal of their office on the Criminal Record Check to be really authentic to the eyes of the Brazilian Consulate in Argentina.

Don´t forget to get the apostile of your criminal record check at the Brazilian Consulate closest your address in the US to make it legal for the student visa application process. A relative can do this for you and can also FEDEX it to your address in Brazil!

Good luck!

robal

noelstr8,

If you do decide to send the paperwork, the local Correios (post office) takes 14-24 days for the USA to receive mail from Brazil.

Faster way:

1. FedEx International First
2. SEDEX Internacional (from the Correios)
3. DHL Express

robal

Thank you, Robal. So the Brasils. Consulate in the USA cannot send the background check directly to my address in Brazil?

I don´t think they would do that. Besides, the mailing is expensive.

Oh, while you´re at the PF also get your Brazilian Criminal Background check to make sure.

Actually there is a paperwork or statement "Declaração Sob Pena de Lei" that you fill up to declare that you did not commit a crime while in Brazil, but I don´t know if the
Brazilian Consulate in Argentina would accept that.

Is it best to look for the “declaracao sob Pena de lai” online ? Or where is the best place to get it? Do you know anything about fees for either background check?

Also, what do you think about this resource? http://www.nationalbackgroundcheck.com/ … neling.htm

You can locate the form "Declaração Sob Pena do Lei" at any "Correios" or any place where they sell
office supplies called "papelarias."

Cost for the US background test should be 35-50USD. The Brazilian cost for the local background,
I´m not sure. Verify it when you go to the PF for finger printing.

Read on...
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=427584

robal

My congratulations! You´re as meticulous as I am...

1. I like the NBCI´s same day service (100USD except mailing) but you still have to mail the FD258 because you don´t have the locale that they require to capture your fingerprint electronically. I also like the option for e-mail as a way to submit the FBI result. BUT the thing is that a Brazilian Consulate has to apostille the said document from the country of origin. You have to have someone bring that to their
consulate...

2. You should e-mail the Brazilian Consulate that serves your district if you can send the NBCI´s FBI result to them by e-mail to be apostilled for student visa processing in Argentina. They probably could mail the certified document to you. I don´t know if that could also be done by e-mail. If everything is a no go, you should just go ahead and mail the application to the Dept of Justice
at your home state but you need the help of a relative or friend.

3. Make sure that the Policia Federal who takes your fingerprint sign the FD258.

robal

Any results, the Expat.com members would be eager to know... Keep us posted!

robal

I'm getting organized this weekend and going early Monday morning for fingerprints. I'll let you know!

Ok, I went to the SAC at Salvador Shopping as soon as they opened. They told me that although they do fingerprints for Brazilians they do not do them for foreigners. They told me I had to go to the instituto de identificacao Pedro Mello https://pt.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Institu … dro_Mello. I went and arrived around 9:30 am. There was no line and I only waited for about 15 minutes. The police there were able to do the fingerprints. I had them do two FBI cards of fingerprints in case I needed backup. They signed and stamped the documents. My only concern is that this was done by the state police not the federal police. From the polices' reaction, it seemed like the first time anyone has asked them to do this. I even had to explain the FBI fingerprints instructions to them and show them a model picture from google imgage of how the document should look. They laughed at me by the end of the process because I ended up giving myself an ink mustache, forgetting I still had wet ink on my fingers. 😂 What do you think ? Does this sound legitimate enough or should I go back to the federal police and peg them to do it?

Good job!

If you´re thinking of NBCI´s requirement, they do state that fingerprint capture should be done by a law enforcement agency which is your case! As long as it clearly shows their seal, and signed it should be ok!

For NBCI, you also need a US cell phone no.

I was wondering if after you get the result by e-mail, you can also e-mail the result
to the Brazilian Consulate serving your US area and then them e-mailing their result
directly to their counterpart in Buenos Aires...

Brazilian authorities are very good in this area, something like a "buddy system" in
the US.

Well done, you!

robal

Ok, I put the fingerprint cards, request form, & payment info in the mail to my sister's place in Philadelphia. I was told that the documents  should arrive in 6 days or less. This cost me 90R.

Now I am going to email NBCI about the possibility of emailing the results to the Brazilian Consulate serving my  US area (NYU) and then them e-mailing the results directly to their counterpart in Buenos Aires.

Are you also opting for their same day service
through your sister's help?

robal

Yes, I am.

Very good so far... Looks like it´s a home run!

robal

I'm confused about the apostille process. I emailed the Brazilian consulate in NYC and they said they do not do it. They said the US State Department does it..https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/legal/travel-legal-considerations/internl-judicial-asst/authentications-and-apostilles/apostille-requirements.html. So, I guess this is another step my sister will have to take for me once she receives the FBI background check in the mail?

Rules change everytime the way it´s proceeding... I do hope that you have the time
to go through this very convoluted process. NBCI did mention the apostille done by the State Dept.
It´s just a certification process signed by a notary in accordance with the Hague Convention...

Looks like your sister still have to legalize the apostilled document at the Brazilian consulate that´s serving your area.

robal

If you´re running out of time, you can either pay the overstay fine of R$100/day or have the no. of overstayed days deducted to your next stay here in Brazil. Or go to Buenos Aires and instead spend the R$100 per day there waiting...

robal