Long Term Residence In Romania

Hey guys! My husband (American citizen) just got a 5 years residency permit and we were told at the immigration that after the 5 years expire he can apply for the long term residency permit but he has to speak Romanian at a basic level at least. He probably will be speaking by then BUT my question is how true is this information? We have been misinformed too many times by them and on the government website i see nothing related to language test. Thanks!

It is true :)

Romaniac
Expat.com Experts Team

Thanks :) Do you have a government link/law where it says that? Btw an ironic observation is that the police officer in the immigration office doesn't even speak English except few words :P

I'm fairly certain its in OUG 194/2002.  It's a standard requirement for permanent residence in most EU countries.

edit: here a link, it's under article 71 in pg 88.
https://oim.ro/attachments/article/364/ … 4-2002.pdf

I have a 5 year residency. I married a Romanian woman. My understanding is that after this 5 years I can a) get another 5 year permit...or...apply for citizenship. For citizenship you need to demonstrate a basic knowledge of the language as well as geography and few other items. This is my understanding only and may or may not be correct. Good luck.

Hey all
Hope you dont mind if i ask a question here. I married Romanian citizen and got temporary resident permit for only 2 years. They told me i prolong it after those 2 years but i didnt get information for how long do i prolong it? Will it again be 2 years and will i have to do it every time? Is next one for 5 years? I cant really find any info on this...
Thanks

DeeBeeDoop wrote:

Hey all
Hope you dont mind if i ask a question here. I married Romanian citizen and got temporary resident permit for only 2 years. They told me i prolong it after those 2 years but i didnt get information for how long do i prolong it? Will it again be 2 years and will i have to do it every time? Is next one for 5 years? I cant really find any info on this...
Thanks

Likely it will be 2 more years, until you have 5 years in the country....then you may apply for a permanent resident permit, or citizenship.

Thank you so much for your quick answer :)