Where to buy raw dog food in Budapest?

I've been having a bit of a hard time trying to find a raw dog food company (BARF diet) in Budapest and was hoping that someone here might know of one?

Previously in the US we went to a natural pet shop that stocked the food and in the UK we've been getting a delivery from a company that makes it. I'd be ok with either going to buy it or having it delivered as long as it's safely made raw dog food.

Thanks so much for your help!

What exactly is raw dog food?  Raw meat?

BARF diet doesn't sound very nice.

Have you tried checking on farm suppliers?

fluffy2560 wrote:

What exactly is raw dog food?  Raw meat?

BARF diet doesn't sound very nice.

Have you tried checking on farm suppliers?

It's a mixture formulated for dogs of raw muscle, organs, bones, vitamins and vegetables.

BARF stands for Biologically Appropriate Raw Food, so similar to what their wild ancestors ate.

Thanks for the tip to check on farm suppliers.

I sort of gave me 2 cents on Absolutely everything else.
You can always make your own food at home, just a big pot and food processor needed. Look online for idea, all depends on the size and type of dog and what health issues they may have.
You may add some raw garlic to the mix as well.Smelly but fresh and full of organs and vitamins.
I never added any salt to m memory, if I had it would of been sea salt but think sea weed powder was enough with the salts.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

I sort of gave me 2 cents on Absolutely everything else.
You can always make your own food at home, just a big pot and food processor needed. Look online for idea, all depends on the size and type of dog and what health issues they may have.
You may add some raw garlic to the mix as well.Smelly but fresh and full of organs and vitamins.
I never added any salt to m memory, if I had it would of been sea salt but think sea weed powder was enough with the salts.

Thank you! It seems relatively straightforward and easy enough to make it at home, but truth be told I just want someone else to do it for me. :) If it comes down to me making it I'll do it, but having it delivered/bought is so much easier.

However, I imagine the meats I would be able to find in Budapest would be super fresh.

Also, not sure if you know, but garlic (raw and fresh) is super toxic to dogs. Even a small amount can make them really sick.

Ok, thanks, see it's been so long since I had a dog, forgot about the garlic, guess that's why I wasn't sure, also don't think they need more salt, then again I'd read up, maybe in different climates.
Honestly when I made the food at home It smelled up the whole house but my dog loved it. I knew it didn't have and added ingredients that were toxic.
He picked up a staff infection from sugar cane fields in Hawaii and had mites under his skin, horrible skin was red raw in places but we couldn't stop him from playing in the fields forever, had to move away to save him from himself.He also got bit on the nose once by a mongoose. They imported them to HI to kill off the snakes, almost as nasty a bite then a snake.
Once a week big pot of cooking and then just putting it in smaller containers in the fridge, wasn't too hard once I got used to doing it.
Just a "sickening" side story... My friend in Las Vegas is very much into trying healthy things, she is in a wheelchair and doesn't want to get any worse. She buys most of her food at Whole Foods and only drinks wine with no chem's added etc. She was paying big bucks at her vets for her dog food.
One of her dogs was always having issues throwing up and staying over night at the vets for exams.
Costs were adding up. They bought large 40 lbs. bags for their 2 mid size dogs.
Finally, ( they must be blind) they noticed the dog food from the vet was spoiled and rotten. They told the vet but no refund etc.
I am not sure if she still uses the same vet or not, I sure wouldn't if I were her.
Best sometimes to do it yourself and be safe.

Ah yeah, my dog's food stinks now, so we're used to it during her meal times. The things we do for our pets, right? ;)

I imagine the meats I can get in Budapest will be super fresh, so hopefully it wouldn't be too much of a problem. Also, you're right excess salt isn't good for dogs either, so definitely no extra salt in her food if I make it.

I've heard too many horror stories (like your friends') about kibble, so that's part of the reason why we decided to feed the dog raw. It's been about 6 years on raw for her and we've had zero regrets about it. She's done so well on it.

Thanks again for your help. :)

The only thing I can think to add is to try and get in contact with some dog schools (Kutya Iskola) as they would be knowledgeable about this kind of thing.  Dog schools seem to be super popular in Hungary.  We have two here and we're in a relatively small village.

I would have thought it would be best to go to a butcher with a list of the meat items for such a diet and place a regular order, then prepare the food at home and  store it in the freezer or fridge.

I had also heard that garlic was bad but my Charlie often ate the cheap 1kg salami type stuff from Lidl and it did not seem to harm him. I used to give him a mixture of moistened dry dog food, tinned dog food and meat sold for humans. I also used to add a few drops of liquid kefir, as a probiotic. Sadly Charlie died about a month ago but he was 13 which is a good age for a basset hound. I never gave him raw meat but he did have raw eggs once or twice.

fidobsa wrote:

....Sadly Charlie died about a month ago but he was 13 which is a good age for a basset hound. I never gave him raw meat but he did have raw eggs once or twice.

RIP Charlie.  Sounds like he was a character. Nice dogs are basset hounds.

Sorry about ol' Charlie too.
I still miss my Dobie, he was 12 and a half... Long life for a large breed dog I suppose.
He is still hard at work though, at least in spirit, have his ashes guarding my storage unit in the states...
No really, just don't have the heart yet to let his remains go. Not sure where to set him free.
My husband used to sneak him HU sausages and treats behind my back, I used to not eat any meat so our dog was his meat buddy.
We did something stupid once for our dogs BD. We open grilled a entire chicken just for him on the outside grill.
He gobbled it up ( minus the bones) in just a few mins.
Made him get sick shortly afterwards...
Another time which I will not ever forget was when he was 9 months old or so and attended obedience school with me. A once weekly thing with a trainer and about a dozen other pets.
It was a hot summer day so eating anything heavy was a no-no, not suppose to feed him  before class anyways.
Husband shoved some Chinese food into his dish against my protests.
Got to class, started working him in the heat and he brought it all up in front of the entire class. The look on the trainers face was of horror, like what in God's name do your feed your dog?
After those ensodents I took over his diet and didn't allow anyone else to feed him.

Personally I buy both dry and wet dog foods without any meat by-products.  I find many of the German canned dog foods are of high quality with visible heart and liver pieces in them.  If interested, I could give you a brand name or two to review.

I love giving my dog eggs -- she gets what I call her Sunday omelet every week.  It's healthy for her and something she would naturally eat if she were in the wild.

It's true that garlic is poisonous to dogs -- as are the other foods in that family such as onions.  Most people know about chocolate, but did you know grapes and avocados are also poisonous to pets?

Most times there is too little of the active ingredient to do real harm to a dog, though. I've had my dog eat something that had garlic in it without any consequence, but again, I avoid giving her anything with garlic or onion when I can. I also do give her a little ice cream in the summer. I remember one time my neighbor was on the phone with a veterinarian because his dog ate a Tootsie Roll. The vet flat out said that there was so little real chocolate in one of those candies that there was no danger at all.

https://www.vets-now.com/2017/01/foods- … s-to-dogs/https://pets.webmd.com/dogs/ss/slidesho … -never-eathttps://www.aspca.org/pet-care/animal-p … -your-pets

That's funny about someone calling the vet over a Tootsie roll.
Then again, who knows maybe it was a mini size dog?
I once called the vet in a panic when I was alone at home with him up in the house on a hill we lived in on Hawaii.
A good 20-25 min. ride down country to Hilo.
Long winding road over bridges etc.
Went out to say good night to my Doberman and saw the silly boy had found himself a Bufo toad, the thing was huge, alive and wiggling in his mouth, Huge ugly squimmy thing. I screamed and he dropped it, it went hopping off.
Those toads are super poison filled, they can kill a dog very fast if their goo is released.
We were given a lesson on them in Honolulu when my dog was in quarantine  You should put up chicken wire all over your property to try and keep your pets away from them, we leased a house with acres of land and there was no way the landlord would let us do that.
I grabbed the garden hose and flushed out his mouth, almost drowned my baby but thought that was the quickest way to rinse his mouth out. Ran indoors and called the vet, they told me he would either live or die because I lived to far away to be of any good.
I sat up half the night with him and kept the hose near by, he looked so confused , like why are you trying to drown me, what did I do wrong?
I heard later that some druggies love finding those toads and licking them, suppose to give you a physodillic high. I suppose since my dog was about a heavy as a human the toad wouldn't of killed him, just given him a crazy high.Smaller dog, would of killed it.
Too bad dogs can't talk, it would of been interesting to ask if he was trippin' or not.

In the event that someone is needing to find a raw dog food in Budapest, I was able to find this place.

https://www.barfshop.hu/

I've visited and the lady that owns it is lovely. She speaks English very well, is super helpful and has great products.

Uwhuskygirl wrote:

In the event that someone is needing to find a raw dog food in Budapest, I was able to find this place.

https://www.barfshop.hu/

I've visited and the lady that owns it is lovely. She speaks English very well, is super helpful and has great products.

Thank you,  :one  it is always so nice when people return with a follow-up. I am sure it might be of some help to others, also good to know she speaks English.  :up:

Thank you for posting it!!!!