Taxis are major problem to road safety

Dear Community, it isn't just what happened to me yesterday that has prompted my posting, the traffic and driver behaviour has been deteriorating as far as I can see for a long time in HCMC. Taxis are major problem to road safety.

Here is my complaint today  though this behaviour isn't restricted to this company...

Please share this with your most senior managerial representative.

Your taxi driver deliberately knocked into a motorcyclist and started off this huge fight in a main street from the airport as I was a passenger yesterday evening.

The motorcyclist was very angry and physically violent towards the taxi. Your driver then took a very large stick and got out into the street where the two men fought, slamming into the window where I was sitting. This drew a crowd of other men and onlookers so I eventually got out.

The road was so busy that I could not leave the island (which was a park) and as I was standing there with my suitcase wondering what to do, another taxi knocked a woman and her child off of their bike right in front of me. The child was crying and the woman looked like she was pregnant.

To make matters worse as I walked round this island to find a place to cross the road a Vietnamese man on a motorcycle decided that I might want to look at his erection! He soon rushed off when I offered to photograph, him and (it) for the police!

It was extremely busy time of day and I managed with the help of a visiting French tourist to cross the road and find somewhere to call an Uber Car.

I am totally offended by the way that many taxi drivers in this city are out of control with their driving and behaviour towards motor cyclists (I am one myself). Please do me the courtesy of replying to say that you took some action and not just say "sorry" without any responsibility, as is the way here in Vietnam.

Its all about taking no responsibility for your actions, something that is lacking in bucketfuls here.

My ex-neighbour had a vicious dog that tried to bite me each time I walked past his house. The owner told me it was my fault because I was not Vietnamese and the dog only likes Vietnamese people.

SueFu, that sounds like a really terrible experience, i'm so sorry that you had to go through that.

What colinoscapee said is sadly true. i get that same sort of crazy and illogical reasoning when working with Vietnamese - when sh*t happens it's never their fault. a doesn't mean anything to a lot here, not all, but the majority.

Use Grab or Uber, at least they are a bit more civilized.

I resist all these new-fangled tech stuff as I lost a job or two because of it but grabbike is amazing.

Taxis here r so commonly greedy, worthless, thieving ***.   no sympathy for them.

i watched 1 of them run a red, knock down a woman on her bike, then in 2 minutes all his sc***bag brand  had come to wipe down his bumper, scrub the road etc so there would be no evidence of his criminal responsibility.

colinoscapee wrote:

Its all about taking no responsibility for your actions, something that is lacking in bucketfuls here.

My ex-neighbour had a vicious dog that tried to bite me each time I walked past his house. The owner told me it was my fault because I was not Vietnamese and the dog only likes Vietnamese people.

I was organizing an event in Vung Tau and requested for A/C in the hall.

staff - no A/C, Vietnamese no feel hot like u foreigner.
________

Was talking to my neighbors about the awful quality of the workmanship in the apartment we live in, in particular, that toilets smell like sewage.

neighbour - 'i also smell the bad smell but it is because you are foreigner you are fussy and cannot accept it'

lol

Many are taught to accept things and not complain, fear of retaliation is always on their mind.

I agree, they use any excuse.
My Vietnamese GF is terrified of loose dogs, so it's not just you.
Maybe carry a big stick?

While I use Uber because it's convenient they are not well skilled drivers, in fact, sometimes it seems they just learned to drive that morning.

Weirdly, on my drive to the airport yesterday, as we were rounding the corner of that park just before Tan San Nuit, I wondered what I would do if my taxi was involved in an accident.

Writing a letter? So 1980s.
Shooting video? That might get noticed. Too bad you forgot!
If no video, it never happened.

There is a new Vietnam traffic crime video everyday on Facebook, sometimes perpetrators (or police) embarrass their bosses and get in trouble. Citizen journalism.

Which facebook page?

I do have a short video showing the driver wielding a stick and the injured cyclist. Obviously, I did not get any reply from the taxi company. Sue

Mostly Vietnamese pages that somehow get into my feed.
Like Tuổi trẻ News or VNexpress.  I don't know if you can post at those sites.
You could search for "Tai nạn" accident or or use google translate and look for Viet words for police, fight, etc.
Maybe join and post in the FB group  'Expats in Ho Chi Minh City'.

The problem is for many, their moral compass is not very effective (or broken). Ah well, it could be worse...