Recommendations for a builder in the Corozal area

Hello.  I am in AZ and my wife and I have purchased land (after a visit to Belize) in Consejo Shores.  Looking to build soon.  Wondering if anyone has recommendations for a builder in the Corozal area.   We have talked to a few but want to be sure to consider all options based on recommendations, good or bad, for the contractors in the area.  Thanks.

Moderated by Priscilla 6 years ago
Reason : title modified for more visibility

yes ..looking for a contractor, Dwayne***, a Canadian, his company /streamline construction/ very competitive excellent work , has references i think he just finished 2 houses in Hopkins, phone *****

Moderated by Bhavna 6 years ago
Reason : For the security of this person, please exchange his contact details through the private messaging system or recommend in the business directory. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Thanks so much.  Will check it out.  Jeff

There are good builders down there but there's a lack of hardware tools etc.People were going to Mexico and coming back only to get dinged for more money . Also one couple dragged all their building tools in a trailer but it can be done . I'm off to Van in Jan to run a crew downtown  commercial buildings redoing stores.15 men should keep me busy but come fall its south to check out country side . Good area to relax and meet good people.

I forgot to mention I plan on staying in that area and would like to start a property management co and hire good talented locals to maintain homes and be the eyes and ears when home owners go north for a few months . I'm semi retired and make 40 year olds feel like they're 70 because i've worked hard all my life and still enjoy my life.I'm not into houses anymore .lifting walls is for the younger generation but am still a boat captain and am going to find a nice storm salvage boat 'sails for sure and fix it up to take people out for tours .As long as you hire locals the business permits get approved much faster.I'm a federal ship officer and registered with ministry of transport in Ottawa and if anyone down there is looking for a qualified watchman for their Properties while being away I can be their 'Pit Bull"....LOL...you can Email me a ....****,,,,,,ArrrrrrrBDarrrrr....Matie here comes the pirate !!!

Moderated by Bhavna 6 years ago
Reason : Please do not post your contact details on the forum. You should exchange them through the private messaging system.Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Ian please check into working regulations within Belize for expats, you seem to be  looking  into  starting businesses that are actually very difficult for expats to get the required work permits. The tourism and Building industries are very protective and employment opportunities are looked on as Only for Belizean's.  Permits for such businesses will go through at the speed of Belize,  you are likely to need a Belizean business partner and you will not be allowed to employ non-Belizeans, or physically work the business yourself.
You need to get a work permit even to do Volunteer work, or building your own house. Your initial visitors Visa expliicitly  says you are not allowed to work. That includes Watchman duties.  Life in Belize for the local population is not easy the minimum wage, as a watchman would get is $3 bze per hour that is $1 and a half US. There are Many  many locals that would be more than willing to take such a  position as there is probably a family to support on that wage. 
The local building trades do not  go to Mexico for their hard ware, as such items are  actually available within Belize, they will cost more than  in Mexico as the  Belize retailers  will have already paid that DING its called import duty.

Yes but on one site an X did start his business fairly fast but all employees were from there and i think he just directed traffic and did the books. It was a bar / club I think and another couple did an ownership with a good friend and sat behind the scene and that was a dive tour operation. There are ways around it and as long as the squeaky wheel gets the grease things will work out. Just meet the right people with a sense of commitment and wanting to be successful  and they will do their best for you . There Is always alternative  ways to approach that idea. Just throwing it out there people. Try not to tar and feather me yet...lol

by all means keep everyone happy .And I'm repeating what was mentioned with hardware a few years back . Also there's a charge just to cross back and forth aswell so I've read. Hell I lived and worked in US and the locals all knew where I came from but I also found them side jobs for extra cash. Just don't make waves.

good night to you all

terrific wrote:

at the speed of Belize,

I love that term!

As usual your advice/suggestions are spot on. I am amused every time a newbee suggest they can circumvent things in Belize just because they were successful someplace else in the world. Until someone has spent realtime in Belize they just don't understand the reality of Belize.  :D

I own property in Consejo Shores and Wagner's Landing and have worked with a significant number of contractors in the Corozal District since 2005. There is one contractor whom I can recommend very highly - Frederic Descurninges (NBC): frederic[at]newbuildingconcept.net.
I have worked with Frederic for over ten years. I am a licensed architect and a licensed construction engineer in Belize and have recommended Frederic to my clients and to a number of the architectural and engineering firms with whom I have worked. He is an honest, reliable contractor, who does superb work. He has built homes in Consejo Shores and Wagner's Landing and south Corozal Town, among others. He has done extensive work on our home in Consejo Shores and I would not consider another contractor for future work on our home. You can have a look at his very complete website (newbuildingconcept) where you will find a lot of information and plenty of pictures of the work he has done.

Thanks.  I will be in Belize and in fact have a meeting with Frederic set.  Thanks though for the vote of confidence for Frederic.  Jeff