Applying for working visa in Colombia

Hello

I am hoping to apply for a Working Visa in Colombia as an English teacher. I am hoping to apply in January. However at that point I will still be on my Tourist Visa (a 90 day extension in fact, PPP).

Does anybody know if it is possible to apply for a Working Visa, whilst being on a Tourist Visa, in Colombia?

Thanks
Billy

Have your first Colombian school / language-skills employer assist you in getting one of the new M-class - category 5 visas.

Colombia is rolling out the M's and the other new classes of visas, supposedly in three days (December 15, 2017), which replace the TP's and other old visa classes.

Some of the new visas extend Expats' residency rights to three years, whereas it had been only one year in many cases.

However, the M-5's are only good so long as you work for the specific employer designated with the visa.

Source:  Medellin Guru website
Google:  medellinguru colombia visas

-- cccmedia in Depto. de Nariño

Yes my future Employer is very interested in me and will help with all the relevant documentation to apply for the new M type visa. They will be the same employer I will work for when I get the visa, so this should be ok.

I just heard in some countries that you can't switch immigration status in-country, e.g you can't go from Tourist Visa to Work Visa. I'm not sure what Colombia's rules are on this?

Thanks

Given the new rules being implemented, see if you can have your new employer interface with the Cancillería to make sure you have a successful transition into the new position.

In all probability, the employer will have more information and "juice" than us Expats who are likely to be ill-informed at the moment on the finer points of the matter.

cccmedia in Depto. de Nariño

as of december 15 2017 there is only 3 types of visas in colombia :  visitor * resident * migration
you need to check the website for more details or visit the immigracion office. There is clear distinction : you are either a visitor or migration - you cannot be a camelia and be both

new immigracion laws went into effect december 15 only 3 now : visitor * resident * migration. see website for details