Employed by UK company :: Want to Live in AMS :: Questions

Hi,
Newbie, so apologies for stupid questions.

My partner and I are looking to relocate to AMS, we both work in IT and are currently employed in the UK.

Our main reason for moving is Brexit, we are British born, but do not recognise the country now and consider ourselves more European than British, and our long term goal is to get a new nationality, and based on our research the Netherlands looks like a good choice for us.

Based on this longer term objective, my question is about employment, I could reasonably easily continue to work for the company I currently do, and simply work remotely from AMS, however I lose out on GBP->EUR exchange rate (which is only getting worse); but I am wondering what position it puts me in regarding getting residency?

Also regarding taxation, and ultimately later life pension, is a UK employer a really bad idea?

I have read that renting, I will need to have an employment contract, but does that need to be with a Dutch company?

The company I work for does also have offices in Belgium, so I could transfer to being employed there, it would help the exchange rate issue, but not sure it would help the residency/nationality issue.

I could also setup my own IT services company, and this could potentially be a Dutch company, which contracts to the UK company and in turn employs me, is this any better?

I'm trying to find the path that looks least complex, so any advice would be much appreciated.

Thx
Andulus

Welcome to the Forum :)

Landlords insiting that you are in employment and it doesn't matter where, its because so they are going to get their rent paid.

As for Brexit, talks are on going and we will have to see how negotiations pan out. I Do agree with you Britain is certainly not what it use to be. I've not not lived their for 9 years and I can honestly say I don't miss it one bit, and each time I do visit I can't wait to leave.

Hi Andulus and welcome to the Forum.

At the top of this page is a link to our Handy Tools section, this will take you to our Expat Guides where you may get some assistance in planning your journey.

We did what you are planning to do; the thing that killed it for us was the tax issue.  You are assessed for tax on where you live, not where you work, but there is a double-taxation agreement in place between the UK and NL which effectively means you will pay PAYE and National Insurance on your UK salary (for which the Dutch taxman will not assess you again), but there are social taxes that you will have to pay in Holland, these can add up to 20% extra tax.

Naturalisation (citizenship); everybody has had to have lived in the country for 5 years before they can apply; at that stage, you also have to be able to speak and understand Dutch.  Also, by that time, the UK will have almost certainly left the EU, so you will probably have to go through the MVV process, or prove your Dutch ability by examination.

Amsterdam is mouth-wateringly expensive (circa London on steroids), the further away you live, you'll get more for your Euro.

You also have to consider Health Insurance; you can't use the UK E111 form if you live in Holland, where Medical Health Insurance is mandatory; except if you work for a Dutch company, they pay half of your medical insurance, if you work for a non-NL company, then it's down to you.

Ireland (where you won't have a language issue), is also a good place to consider.

Once you've read our guides, if you have any further specific questions, please come back to us.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Thank you for your swift replies...
I think the tax it the issue.. will go do more reading!

thanks all!