Retail space sought Bangkok

My Thai gf and I are investigating and researching the possibility of starting with a small clothes shop somewhere in Bangkok. I know, we're not the only and first ones, and are aware of the buy-in (wholesale) issue; Pratunam, BoBee and there might be others around as well (tips are welcome). But it's the rental cost for retail space in general that seems to become a problem and thought that maybe on this forum we could get advice. The Imperial World Mall in Samrong, S.Prakarn charges for 1 month rental 40,000 baht!!!, others in the central area are probably not cheaper. One source, friend of a friend!!, suggested that the area in Rachadapisek could be more attractive, somewhere around the Night Market near Suttisan. Also in BangSue near the train station area are spots to find. Hhaven't checked that out yet. Anyway would appreciate any advice on this topic in due time. Have a good weekend.  :|

Gary, you asked for advice, so here it is. First, do "yourself" a huge favor. Pick-up a copy of "Money Number One", 3rd. Edition (or later), by Aloysius Bartholemew Thistlewaite. Read it (thoroughly), and please live- by-it, and your "Farang" life will be smooth sailing.

FYI ~ Your farang story is not unique, and, has been repeated a couple thousand times (at least), over the past 50-years.

Words to "the wise-side" of farang-life, should be sufficient! Capisce? :cool:

Hi Gary, i lived in Bangkok for 2 years and although im no expert i have dabbled in a few businesses there . A small clothes shop will make a small income , paying 40k a month or more for rent cannot be sustained , there will also be the hidden costs , bribes, security, insurance etc, A stall outside a mall such as Pratunam would be cheaper but competition is stiff. For me i found an ebay shop worked well , less outlay , work your own hours , no worry about work visas. Also , try and find a few independant retailers who can take bulk items of you back home . Soccer shirts were always a good seller. Also work with a good tailor and sell suits , shirts , trousers.
Find out what styles are popular and show the tailor a photo he can make it in 24 hours . Handbags are always a good bet also . Chatuchak market , JJ mall,  and some good wholesalers behind Baiyoke Tower on Ratchaprarop Road are well worth a visit. 
Dont hesitate to ask if you need more info .
Good luck
        Terry
            Northern Ireland

Thanks for the tip and comments. Yes, I'm a little skeptical about it too, many Thais doing the same thing and when they have something in their mind (dreams!) it's usually hard to convince them it's not worth the time and especially the money!! Appreciate your advice and warning. Will read it. Thanks a lot for your time.