Selling my car/transfer of ownership requirements

I want to sell my 1996 Ford Explorer in San Jose but I don't have much time before I leave Costa Rica to return home. Can I transfer ownership to another person if I am not in country? Or can I sign a power of attorney or sign over the title to another person so that they can put the car in their name later? Does a lawyer have to be involved? I recall that it required a lawyer when I bought the car but I am short of time and would like to get it done quickly.

I can only address that you do need to use a lawyer, who must then transfer the info into the National Registry and this can take a few days.

New topic

Expatriate health insurance in San Jose

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in San Jose

Moving to San Jose

Find tips from professionals about moving to San Jose

Travel insurance in San Jose

Enjoy stress-free travel to San Jose