Close

NEW JOB SCAM IN MALAYSIA

There are business owners mistreating people with a NEW kind of scam. 

1. They ask people to arrive in Malaysia on a tourist visa.

2. They never apply for a legal work permit

3. They deduct "income tax" at 28% (non-resident rate) but it is never sent to tax office as a person cannot register without a work permit

4. The employee finally gets tired of "waiting for the work permit" and wants to leave or change jobs, but find they are living and working (for a low salary) illegally in Malaysia.

5. Only way to leave is to be deported by turning themselves in to immigration.
If they do get another job offer, they still have to leave the country while permission to be hired is being processed by immigration.

6. They receive a 5 year blacklisting (this can affect getting other visas in different countries).

The rule is a person has to be outside Malaysia until approval (Stage I) to hire them has been obtained from immigration and a single entry visa has been provided by an overseas Malaysian Consulate (VDR). Immigration has to approve each company before they can hire foreign staff.

Bump

Dear Gravitas

i have job offer from 5 star hotel,but for the visa  (2 yeras )they have request to pay 50:50% around 10000 MYR.is this regular amount ?

You should pay NO money to get an employment pass in Malaysia.

It sounds like a job scam, also because foreigners from countries outside SE Asia are rarely employed in hotels, unless they are chefs, etc.

There are continually scams in the hospitality industry worldwide. The idea that the cost is actually RM20k and you are asked to pay half is total nonsense.

Gravitas is right. Hotel job scams are common in Malaysia and they ask you to pay for the Visa. They are so well set up that they have a number where you can call their Human resources person who is also part of the scam. The last one I heard about was for a job at The Gardens. Fortunately that person who had been contacted asked me to check it out and it was proved to be a scam.

These scammers are very clever, so if you suspect it seems a bit strange, find the hotel website in google and contact the Human Resources Department yourself and DO NOT call any numbers provided by the scammers. Also DO NOT send any money or documents.

Companies will NEVER ask you to pay for your Visa up front. And in any case, who would want to work for a company who did that? It is clearly a scam, so don't quit your current job.

Well, just curious, what is the amount the employer pays to get a Category 1, work permit done.

Where in the employee pays the amount needed to get the visa, attestation work back in his/her country from his pocket.

In my case I paid all the amount required to pay for the document attestation and visa fee from my pocket back in my country and my employer had paid the money for the work permit and others related to this process through their agent

The very basic alarm raiser would be a job offer from a public mail provider like Gmail n Yahoo. Any reputable company would not allow it's employees to use general mails.

This is very simple n basic thing which many of us already know but we fail to check especially in cases where there are lucrative job offers.

It's about hotel St.Regis,position General restaurant Manager.They want to pay by money gram transfer.
email from where i got the offer is The St. Regis Kuala Lumpur <career[at]thestregis-kl.com>.We had phone communication,but when i ask for Skype they did not answer.
the name of the HR Manager matching with the name of official web site.

The St. Regis can afford to pay your Visa.

Yeah the names will always match. But you need to be smarter than that. You can google St. Regis and call them and ask to speak to Human resources.

To put it bluntly - don't be so niaive. They would not be allowed to hire a foreigner for that position as there are plenty of local applicants and you don't even speak any of the local languages.

A job like that pays about RM2-3k per month.... Category I has a minimum salary of RM10k per month  and Category II has a minimum salary of RM5k per month. Category III has a minimum salary of RM2500 per month

Application charges - https://esd.imi.gov.my/portal/faq/myxpa … n-charges/

Employment Pass     RM 300.00    GST RM 18.00
Dependant Pass            RM 70.00    GST RM 4.20
Social Visit Pass (SVP)    RM 70.00    GST RM 4.20

(NOTE: The amount stated are solely for the expatriate application charges and exclude Immigration fees)

Expatriate health insurance in Malaysia

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Malaysia

Moving to Malaysia

Find tips from professionals about moving to Malaysia

International Wealth Management

Get advice from well-reputed and experienced international wealth managers regarding your financial affairs

Travel insurance in Malaysia

Enjoy stress-free travel to Malaysia