Should we move to Stockholm to find a job more easily?

Hi everyone. I'm Portuguese, lived and worked in London, UK for 3 years and now I'm in my country, Portugal. Me and my husband are seriously considering moving to Stockholm since we love the city and the country.

But we have an issue about how to find work. We cannot afford to move to Stockholm without having a job there, but on the other hand I think it must be virtually impossible to find a job there if we're in Portugal and not living in Sweden, right?

I was thinking in finding a job in a store or restaurant just to be able to move to Stockholm and then when we're there, try to find a job in our fields (I work in Marketing my husband is a Civil Engineer). We don't speak Swedish but we speak fluent English.

Do you think we can move and make enough money to live having this kind of initial jobs in Stockholm (store, restaurant, hotel, etc)? And will it be easier to find a job in our fields if we're already living there? Thank you in advance for your help! :)

HI! IŽve been living in Stockholm for 1 year and a half.

What I can say is that it is really hard to find a job here in Sweden if you dont know the language; even if youŽd wanna start as a waitress, or in a hotel.

My advice is studying swedish, before coming here,
then, finding a place to stay (rent here is quie expensive... 600-900 euros per month; visit www.blocket.se),
and looking for a job.

Thank you for your reply but my goal is to find a job on a multinational company working for foreign markets, so using English and no need to know Swedish to get that job. Also, my question was not about the language but about if it would be easier to find the job if I move to Stockholm and not being in another country. Thanks.

Hi Patati

I am french and leave in Stockholm. I can tell you that is really hard to find a job even if you already in Stockholm cause as Stefano said it is really importante to speak swedish. I tell you this cause i had that experience until i meet a swedish man and marry. I learn swedish and have opportunities to find a job because of him. So don t think it is because you are in stockholm that it will be easier. Try to find a job without moving from portugal (don t forget even in multinational company you really need swedish) but if you have a good english as you said don t deseperate and keep going!

Do not take a risk !! it 's not easy as you might think.

I would not advice you to move until you get accepted from a company here.First of all , as some 've mentioned above that it 's difficult as a foreigner to find a job unless you are fluent in Swedish .

It can be hard in a multinational company unless you have a very distintive profile.

Even low status jobs required some knowledge of language so it can be very hard for one who lacks of language skill.

Most importantly finding a job takes time you should make sure that you and your family could finance the costs of living here.It 's crrazy high !!

hello, I am also from Portugal and wish to move to Sweden, Stockholm, i have been looking for a job there for over 3 months, low jobs...
I stared studying swedih at www. livemocha.com (free language site).
It has been difficult to find a job, i have already registered at arbetsformedlingen.se/