Planning to moving to Ho Chi Minh in 2018

Hi all , I was planning to move to Ho Chi Minh early next year to teach English . I'm living in  Sydney Australia at present . Previously I have taught English to primary /middle school kids in Korea and have experience but no degree . I've been reading up and searching the net for information and on this forum but have been getting mixed information as to yes you can teach without a degree but with a Celta qualification and others saying that without a degree I can't. Would greatly appreciate if any members in HCM could let me know any information regarding this .Also what kind of visa should I be applying for if I intend to stay for say 6 mths to 1 yr ?  Many thanks; )

By law you need either a degree or five years of documented teaching. Many places don't follow these rules.

I applied for a teaching job a few weeks ago just to see how possible it all was. A bit of background: I have no teaching experience, no teaching certificates and no degree.

Got offered the job and when I asked about my lack of qualifications they said don't worry about that.

Makes a mockery of the whole thing, to be honest.

Im sure it was a low level centre that you applied at. Most of the decent centres will ask for your certificates and to do a demonstration in class. This generally weeds out a lot of people .

How much was this centre willing to pay you per hour?

I had to do a demo class; and $21 ph. No idea how good/bad that is

That's big money for someone with no experience, they must have been desperate or are shonky operation. :)

Thanks colinoscapee and 1312j for the information. Yeah as I said I was getting mixed information so was kind of at a loss as to what to do . Just a quick question to 1312j  In obtaining the position ...how did you find out about the position. Was it off the net or did you go door to door handing in your resume or something?

jpolo78 wrote:

Thanks colinoscapee and 1312j for the information. Yeah as I said I was getting mixed information so was kind of at a loss as to what to do . Just a quick question to 1312j  In obtaining the position ...how did you find out about the position. Was it off the net or did you go door to door handing in your resume or something?

It was on Craigslist; they post teaching roles on there every day pretty much. Plenty to choose from.

Oh ok cool thanks for the information ;)

Hey there . How can you arrange for a visa /work permit .Did you work for some organisation or something? Don't have snapchat only wechat / kik or kakaotalk.  Pm me  if you want to discuss further. Cheers ;)