Raising kids in Slovenia

Hello everyone,

How is raising kids in Slovenia different from raising kids in your home country?

What are the activities that your kids seem to enjoy the most in Slovenia?

Do you feel that the country is "family-friendly"?

Do you recommend Slovenia as a good place to raise kids? Why or why not?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Are you living in Slovenia or just curious?

Hey!

I am raising 3 boys in Slovenia. My first was originally born in the UK. When I was pregnant with my second a decade ago I decided to raise him in Slovenia, his father and I was deciding which county to live in...

For raising kids, unless you have a limitless bank account, I think Slovenia is simply amazing. The health care for kids is one factor. All kids have a childrens doctor rather than a GP like in the UK. If my kids (or even I) have ever had a problem out of hours, the emergency department has always been quick to help and I have never felt judged, like you do in the UK. Infact, illness here is encouraged to see a doctor, rather than the uk perception and worry of wasting the doctors time.

I find socially kids are more socially included with the adults. People seem to make a lot more effort with kids in my opinion here, maybe other people have a different experience. I'll give an example... If I go to a social BBQ in the UK, I usually find the adults in one section and the kids in the other. In Slovenia I find it is much more mixed. If the kids are playing football, some of the adults will be doing so too.

Activities. Kids have a lot of choices here as they do every where else. I don't know any child in Slovenia who doesn't attend some sort of out of school activity, though I am sure there is some. Both of my younger boys attended dance classes, but they have both already stopped. They both attend a ski gym, and they are both playing inline hockey. One is 5 and the other is 10. My eldest is much older and he is a knight, yes he even has the old classic Armour.

During school hours and kindergarten. Kindergarten is currently offering football lessons to all their kids for free, something to do with the football association. The schools also offer out of school activities, which are also free. My 10 year old takes robotics once a week and loves it. in the past he did chess club, archery and some others.

Basketball is very popular here, even more so since Slovenia won the European finals lately. We have about 3 Basketball clubs and our town is pretty small! There is multiple football clubs here too.

Then you have the nature factor. Hikes with the kids, skiing, swimming in warm lakes etc. Slovenia really is an amazing place to raise a kid. I miss the UK in many ways, but I am extremely confident that I am raising my kids in the correct country.

Though maybe the UK would be better for them once they reach adult life... Depending on what they want.

Hope this help, feel free to ask any more questions you might have.

@Bekki

Almost exactly 5 years later, and I've found this post to be extremely helpful. Thank you.

Are you in Ljublana?

Moderated by Bhavna 4 months ago
Reason : Off-topic. Please create your CV in the Job offers in Slovenia section
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct