Raising kids in Scotland

Hello everyone,

How is raising kids in Scotland different from raising kids in your home country?

What are the activities that your kids seem to enjoy the most in Scotland?

Do you feel that the country is "family-friendly"?

Do you recommend Scotland as a good place to raise kids? Why or why not?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Kids like to meet up at local parks and ride the buses with friends.  Because money is tight in general there's less focus on shopping trips which is good.  There's a lot of teen drinking and recreational drug use but that is everywhere.  You just have to watch What friend groups your kids have.  So not much different to Australia. There's lots of family friendly activities. We feel safe out and about and our kids travelling and walking at night where we live on the south side of Glasgow (East Renfrewshire). Choose to live in a good area to be in a catchment area for a good school and a better chance of good friend groups. Get friendly with your kid's friends' parents for emergency contacts.

I can only speak for the Moray Firth region which is where I lived from 1997 to 2011. The standard of education in the Scottish schools seemed a lot better than I got in England in the '60s and '70s.  It was also a safe environment to bring up kids but perhaps a bit lacking in stuff like theme parks, due to the low population of the area.  Obviously  there are plenty of places for outdoor activities like mountain biking, kayaking, climbing etc.