Raising kids in Kuwait

Hello everyone,

How is raising kids in Kuwait different from raising kids in your home country?

What are the activities that your kids seem to enjoy the most in Kuwait?

Do you feel that the country is "family-friendly"?

Do you recommend Kuwait as a good place to raise kids? Why or why not?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

To my knowledge, raising a kid in my country is far better than here. Back in my country, they have all the time after school to do whatever they want, they can play with their friends, go to their houses. They are allowed to roam freely. But here so far I have seen, no children are coming out of their homes. Even if they come outside, it would probably for food or to play in a well-maintained environment. They are not free at all when comparing with my country.

Good schools are very less in numbers here. Standard of education in Paksitan is way better than the options we have here. An international cirriculum with cost of KD 3500 per annum per kid is not feasible for everyone but only 1% or 2% of the parents in Kuwait.

Other than that, I think it's a good safe place with less crime rate. Police and authorities are also active.

September onwards untill March end, weather is excellent to do outdoor activities and family fun. Parks, beaches and farms are widely available to have outdoor activities. However, April through August is warm enough to go out.

Dear Priscilla,

Raising kids in Kuwait is totally different from raising kids in my home country as both the quality of education and teachers are far better in Kuwait while learning process is heavily dependent on on line resources.

My kids enjoy Gymnastic as well as swimming in Kuwait along with outdoor activities in winter time.

Yes, definitely, Kuwait is a family-friendly place.

Yes I do recommend Kuwait as a good place to raise kids.

Best Regards
Dr. Magdy Ali
Kuwait

Well the best thing is kids should rise in front of the parents, as today's world is not suitable for lone kids, which is almost not possible for NRI's, schooling is very costly here in Kuwait, the education is in average. Well if someone can afford British or American school then it is better, but that is very rare.
In india the education is cheap and best compared to Kuwait, it depends some people can put there kids there and can sacrifice and some cannot live without kids.
If someone does not have choice to keep the kids there in India and can afford the schooling then it is also good, Let them complete schooling till 7th here and go back to country after 7th class and get the registration there in India, this will help them to achieve good education in higher classes and they will also participate in higher exams, they will not come under NRI quota. if kids leaving Kuwait after 12th they will be in NRI Quota that is almost private.
My kids are here in JIS school they are doing good Alhamdulalh, this year my daughter will complete 7th and I have planned to put her in native land school, we have very good education system there in Kashmir all though people speak bad about Kashmir as they watch fake news yet Kashmir was declared 2nd rank in education in 2017.
Best of luck to all the parents, Educate your children, is the only reward that you get from these Dinars rest all will go by the time. Concentrate on your children and make them happy. Dream your childhood missing gapes in your kids, source them what you had not in your childhood. Shukran

i dont have

Hello , how are you ,
in fact I don't know , because I'm single :)
But I known from  my friends how's thy are already getting married and have kids , they have good feeling

Raising kids in Kuwait is a little difficult, but no more difficult than raising kids in any other country that is foreign to you.

I have two kids, aged 2 and 5.  one is in pre-school and one is in kindergarten.  The american/british/english K-12 schools here are expensive, no getting around that but I'm lucky in the sense that my work helps pay for that.  The pre-schools are actually less than what we were spending in the US.  (I know, it was a shocker to us too) and they're very nice.

The other kids are friendly here.  I mean, bullies will be bullies, and of course they look for any kid they can single out, so my kids have had a run in with a couple kids who were awful, but I dont think bullying is specific in any way to kuwait.  In fact, I think it was probably worse where I was vs where I am now.

True your kids cant just hop on a bike and ride down the sidewalks, play ball in the street and whatnot.  But near my house in Mangaf, there are TONS of places for the kids to be kids.  Parks, the Miral, the beaches.  We're a block and a half from the beach and go there quite often.  In all, I think there are easily 5 outdoor places within a 5-minute drive where my kids are free to be kids.  There are also a few go-cart tracks, billions of bouncy castles, and indoor trampoline parks if you wanted to spend a little money.

Living with kids in kuwait is going to be exactly what you make of it.  Kuwait isn't perfect, but my kids and I are having a great time here.

Great post. I will be in Kuwait soon with a 4 and 7 year old. As long as there are parks and sports they can join, we will love it!

I'm was looking for information on trampoline classes. My daughter use to have these classes back in Scotland and I would like her to continue if possible. I know there is a trampoline place near the avenue mall but is there anywhere else?
Thanks
J

Check Flex fitness, it is almost every where in Kuwait. Also, Little Gym in Jabria.

Sure they will!

Thanks Ali

There are following main categories of schools in Kuwait:

1. Local schools in Arabic medium which are popular amongst Arab people (mainly Egyptians, Jordanian, Lebanese etc). Kuwaiti usually do not opt for these schools.

2. Bi-lingual schools: Gaining popularity amongst forward thinker Arabic people who wish to educate their kids in both Arabic and English medium.

3. English (and few French etc) Schools with International syllabus. These are most popular. The fees and quality varies a lot based on the syllabus and reputation of the school. These include Indian, Philippines, IGCSE, American and IB syllabus. The school fees of normal school with Indian syllabus may be 300-500 KWD per year where as an American school with good facility will cost 3000-5000 KWD. Yes, this is wide gap.

4. School for special needs. Very good initiates and school for special needs are excellent ones.

The culture also varies a lot from highly conservative separate male/female schools to co-ed western culture schools. Few Indian schools are very popular due to proper balance of culture and lower fees. The school where rich kids are studying will see completely different atmosphere outside schools. Posh cars, drivers, maids, food packets, fancy bags, pampered kids and what not. Everyone would like to drop their kid just next to the security guard at the gate irrespective of traffic chaos or inconvenience to others. They will take all their time to take the kid down, give him the bag, tiffin, kisses and bye-bye till the kid is completely inside the school.

Study varies from school to school. Most of the school teachers are expats. You may notice large attrition rate for teachers in schools. Many school teachers come only for one or two years, make money and go back. The caliber of school teachers vary a lot. One may not find good quality teachers here (very few exceptions).

BSK, New English School, ASK and AIS are considered amongst best schools with International syllabus. DPS and Bhavan are considered amongst best Indian school which started offering International syllabus also.

For expat kids, the Higher education or University options are very limited. The Colleges and Universities in Kuwait are mostly for locals. Kuwait University and PAEET are popular government run institutes. Kuwait University has very good reputation and recognized globally. Rest all are private Universities where syllabus are usually given by western University and thats why they are known as American or British or Australian Universities. No foreign University has opened any branch or campus in Kuwait. The private universities (AUM is the largest followed by AUK, GUST, KCST, ACK, ACM etc) are governed strictly by Private University Council (knowns as PUC) and their standards are constantly changing and improving. But these changes adds pressure on professors of private universities. The Universities in Kuwait are fancy, large beautiful campus, advance facilities, great sports etc. The professors in these Universities in Kuwait are the ones who do not get good job in western Universities and come to Middle East to make some money. Many of these professors are the people who migrated to western countries on student visa to do a Ph.D. But it is hard to find job their so they come to Middle East countries and work in private Universities.

Once kid become 18, there are different rules in Kuwait for Male and Female. There are some restrictions for boys to be in Kuwait. Usually most of the boys and girls would go to western countries or their home country or UAE. PAEET is another option within Kuwait for expats to get post school study at reasonably low cost.

Thank you for all the info.

Does anyone know if there is a summer camp for teenagers in Kuwait city

Hello sir
Sir whats the average salary of a doctor in kuwait? I mean specialiat and practitioner both